ADVERTISEMENT

Moving to Phase II

On another note, during the April 15 briefing, Trump spent a good amount of time promoting the new convalescent plasma therapy, urging those that have recently recovered to donate their plasma. Since then over 1,800 units have been donated and 600 patients treated, with favorable results. Those numbers are expected to triple this week. I wish he would do more is that because people do respond.

I think I’ll side with the counter protesters over the mushbrained, astroturf, MAGA chud protesters on this one.

You're such a typical Northeast elitist. Plenty of good people voted for Trump for various reasons, just like plenty of good people voted for Hillary for their own reasons.

There are uneducated losers on both political sides, you just happen to hail from the left.

The CDC chief said there t could be a second possibly worse wave in winter 2020/2021. This wave will coincide with the seasonal flu. Not even a treatment will stop this. We will keep on doing this for years to come until we receive the right vaccine.

Last edited:
Someone argued on one of my previous post that the Spanish flu of 1918 is worse than this. I still disagree. This virus will have a greater impact on the world economy and the national economy The US will be going in and out of quarantine for the next 2 to 3 years.

The CDC chief said there t could be a second possibly worse wave in winter 2020/2021. This wave will coincide with the seasonal flu. Not even a treatment will stop this. We will keep on doing this for years to come until we receive the right vaccine.

CDC chief has been wrong and incompetent on this from the very beginning. Him saying that is good news, because he's wrong. Should be fired.

Dr. Birx, who has been incredible on this, said she isn't so sure. I trust her.

CDC chief has been wrong and incompetent on this from the very beginning. Him saying that is good news, because he's wrong. Should be fired.

Dr. Birx, who has been incredible on this, said she isn't so sure. I trust her.

I disagree with your take on the CDC head. Birx can't even count the scenario out. We are in for a very bad winter.

Weatherman A says on Feb 28th, it looks like the hurricane won't hit us.
Weatherman B says on Feb 28th, it looks like the hurricane won't hit us.

3 days later
Weatherman A says on March 3rd, it looks like the hurricane might be heading towards us.
Weatherman B says on March 3rd, it looks like the hurricane won't it us.

7 days later
Weatherman A says, it's hitting us.
Weatherman B says, rain hits us all the time and no one complains about that.

Why are those the same in your opinion?
It's not black and white. As circumstances change, so should our assessments.

Incorrect.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

# of cases on 2/28 = 63
# of cases on 3/3 = 124

On March 3rd, it was clear the exponential growth would be a problem.

In the span of about 10 days, we went from a leader of public health saying we didn't need to modify our daily routines to an outright panic and real pandemic situation in our country. Turns out it was imminent.

When I'm listening to Fauci and other officials at that time, I'm thinking, OK, let's look at what's happening in China and Italy and maybe it's because they have different situations (age of population and pollution, etc.) that are creating the ideal circumstances for this virus and we'll be alright. That's February 29th. I'm thinking, "Do we go to SHU-Nova with 17k people with the risk of a respiratory flu that has no treatment? Yeah, because it doesn't sound that serious here."

10 days later we're looking forward to the BET and all hell is breaking loose across the country. On the 29th they knew a new pathogen was unleashed and it was highly contagious. They knew it was here. A different message, something cautionary, something real was needed, IMO.

I'm not arguing if people would've listened or not. They probably would not have. In this country we have a bad habit of discounting anything we don't agree with until proven otherwise, but I'm talking a messaging and accountability for a doctor who has an obligation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Section112
In the span of about 10 days, we went from a leader of public health saying we didn't need to modify our daily routines to an outright panic and real pandemic situation in our country. Turns out it was imminent.

When I'm listening to Fauci and other officials at that time, I'm thinking, OK, let's look at what's happening in China and Italy and maybe it's because they have different situations (age of population and pollution, etc.) that are creating the ideal circumstances for this virus and we'll be alright. That's February 29th. I'm thinking, "Do we go to SHU-Nova with 17k people with the risk of a respiratory flu that has no treatment? Yeah, because it doesn't sound that serious here."

10 days later we're looking forward to the BET and all hell is breaking loose across the country. On the 29th they knew a new pathogen was unleashed and it was highly contagious. They knew it was here. A different message, something cautionary, something real was needed, IMO.

I'm not arguing if people would've listened or not. They probably would not have. In this country we have a bad habit of discounting anything we don't agree with until proven otherwise, but I'm talking a messaging and accountability for a doctor who has an obligation.

I would be interested to know how many people became infected during the SHU-NOVA game. Really good point. That was only 10 days before this madness began.

I would be interested to know how many people became infected during the SHU-NOVA game. Really good point. That was only 10 days before this madness began.

I'm not going into that rabbit hole, I'm talking about decision making based on ridiculous statements from public officials, LOL.

Well, we all left with heartbreak, that's for sure. Should've won that damn game and had a celebration to remember. Bah.

I'm pretty sure I picked it up there.

Out of 15k, how many people are there walking around asymptomatic? We will never know

Once we have all the data and look back, it seems to me the three things that would have been the best preventative measure while limiting the economic impact would have been to:
1) Lock down our borders and stop entry to the country.
2) Institute nationwide guidelines asking businesses public to follow (distancing, masks, hand-washing, work-from-home where possible, etc.), without doing forced shut-downs.
3) Surveil positive tests and local hot spots and throw a quarantine blanket immediately.

I read a lot of the early data and watched a lot of coverage of this early on. I’ve mentioned here previously that my wife would be considered immunocompromised, so I was taking it very seriously.

My impression of Fauci as well as others was that they were downplaying the potential threat, but they were also hedging that things could change. As with anything, you need to manage the risk vs causing panic among citizens. I thought they were acting in good faith. I won't argue with you if you disagree.

Health care systems need to make money. It's amazing to me how many people have not gone to hospitals with real health issues. Saw an article that said how many appendicitis patients are arriving who had pain for ten days and they waited too long now causing a serious operation. But somehow heart attacks and strokes etc seem to be down. Elective surgeries will start again soon and hopefully they don't help spread the virus. Opening things up is going to be very interesting.

Reactions: Piratz and HALL85
Health care systems need to make money. It's amazing to me how many people have not gone to hospitals with real health issues. Saw an article that said how many appendicitis patients are arriving who had pain for ten days and they waited too long now causing a serious operation. But somehow heart attacks and strokes etc seem to be down. Elective surgeries will start again soon and hopefully they don't help spread the virus. Opening things up is going to be very interesting.
If there is a business that will take the proper precautions to avoid spreading the disease, its hospitals. They have already put in place procedures to separate COVID patients from other floors, units, etc. Even staff is segregated when possible. I know they have been redirecting some of those more routine procedures to ambulatory care/emerge-care centers....not the best place to have an appendectomy, but when you don't have a choice...

I have an employee whose husband needs heart surgery (valve) and they were trying to delay it until June, but his condition has worsened, so they are rushing him in. Not sure what's more stressful for him and his wife...waiting for that procedure of having to have it while the hospital is full of COVID patients.

Hospitals will try to ramp up as fast as they can as safely as they can, but what we don't know is how quickly the public will embrace it. Someone who needs a hip replacement, may delay it for six months until they feel comfortable.

If there is a business that will take the proper precautions to avoid spreading the disease, its hospitals. They have already put in place procedures to separate COVID patients from other floors, units, etc. Even staff is segregated when possible. I know they have been redirecting some of those more routine procedures to ambulatory care/emerge-care centers....not the best place to have an appendectomy, but when you don't have a choice...

I have an employee whose husband needs heart surgery (valve) and they were trying to delay it until June, but his condition has worsened, so they are rushing him in. Not sure what's more stressful for him and his wife...waiting for that procedure of having to have it while the hospital is full of COVID patients.

Hospitals will try to ramp up as fast as they can as safely as they can, but what we don't know is how quickly the public will embrace it. Someone who needs a hip replacement, may delay it for six months until they feel comfortable.
Or til they feel really uncomfortable - lol.

Reactions: Piratz and HALL85
The elective surgeries are a huge money maker for hospitals. They're going to want to get back to those as soon as possible.

The financial fallout from this is extreme.

The elective surgeries are a huge money maker for hospitals. They're going to want to get back to those as soon as possible.

The financial fallout from this is extreme.
Two hospital systems here in the region expect to lose a half billion each this year. The standalone or small systems will never recover. Emergency mergers.

Reactions: Piratz
Two hospital systems here in the region expect to lose a half billion each this year. The standalone or small systems will never recover. Emergency mergers.

It's truly the Wild West right now. Revenues through the floor, costs on supplies skyrocketing (competition to get goods versus a centralized process also driving prices up exponentially, etc.). All the budgeting work done in recent years evaporating an instant.

Reactions: HALL85
It's truly the Wild West right now. Revenues through the floor, costs on supplies skyrocketing (competition to get goods versus a centralized process also driving prices up exponentially, etc.). All the budgeting work done in recent years evaporating an instant.

This is absolutely the case. Hoping the next round of Fed funding is a) more significant especially for those hospitals dealing with a very significant number of COVID patients, and b) money the hospitals can keep, ie not a loan. The lost revenues will never be made up....1) patients will use this as an excuse to get said test/procedure done, 2) capacity constraints. Just not feasible if you are normally a busy hospital, to make up 2 months of lost volume. There aren't the time slots, staff, etc....which will also mean, some of this will be done at a premium cost (OT, outside help, etc) which reduces the margins.

As I have stated on previous post we are in this for the long run. We will have to keep protocol for social distancing and close non essential businesses until at least January 2021. The second wave will be brutal. We will practice social distancing and wear face masks in public places for the rest of our lives.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
We will practice social distancing and wear face masks in public places for the rest of our lives.

2hgfw.jpg

Reactions: HALL85
BREAKING: Dr Birx announced this morning americans will be practicing social distancing for "many, many months" to come. Unfortunately it looks like my prediction be right. Americans will be continuing practicing social distancing and wearing masks on their faces for the rest of their lives. Non essential businesses in NJ will be ordered to reopen some time in 2021.

BREAKING: Dr Birx announced this morning americans will be practicing social distancing for "many, many months" to come. Unfortunately it looks like my prediction be right. Americans will be continuing practicing social distancing and wearing masks on their faces for the rest of their lives. Non essential businesses in NJ will be ordered to reopen some time in 2021.
I honestly think things are going to change by the day. Should you be accurate, I’m curious how we would have an election in November.

This is not surprising. Until you have a (1) a proven, accessible medical treatment and (2) a vaccine, you have to be measured. The virus is here. It's not leaving. We'll just deal with it like anything else (measles, chicken pox, flu, etc.), but it takes time.

I think you will have #1 this summer. MANY encouraging developments on that front.

Simply have to keep in minimized until it's under control via points #1 and #2 above and the only way to do that is limit transmission the best we can. You can still open the economy, but use common sense people. Don't try to be a super hero. If we are not smart about it, there will be some eruptions again, like what we've just gone through in NYC/NJ.

BREAKING: Dr Birx announced this morning Americans will be practicing social distancing for "many, many months" to come. Unfortunately, it looks like my prediction be right. Americans will be continuing to practice social distancing and wearing masks on their faces for the rest of their lives. Non essential businesses in NJ will be ordered to reopen some time in 2021.

Look.....I fully understand the impact of this virus as much as, if not more than most....being at a hospital. But, for you to make statements as to "rest of our lives"...or even "2021 and 2022"....while fine if that is your opinion, but clearly is not "fact". The fact is, no one knows right now what the future holds. Let's face it....go back to Feb 15th...no one, and I mean NO ONE was a slight bit worried that games would be interrupted at all....fast forward to the night we play Villanova....and again, there would hardly be a soul who would have thought the Big East Tournament would be canceled....go forward another week and it was unthinkable the NCAA tournament would be canceled.

Yet it all happened.

And, the opposite can happen as well. I fully expect a treatment to come about before a vaccine; not that they are two comparable viruses in any way, but remember....with HIV/Aids there was far more worry....and mortality....yet we still have no vaccine many, many years later...but we do have treatment.

And I think it will be a treatment that solves this riddle for us. Exactly when? if I knew that I would be a rich man.

So, while anything remains possible....and frankly let's all hope the "experiments" now going on in other states re-opening parts of their economy go well...because a serious recurrence there will set us back...but if all goes well, we will start to open things, even in this geography. we have to...people have to live and make a living. But, we will have to do it in a measured fashion.

Do I agree that masks are likely here to stay perhaps thru 2020? Yes, that is highly likely...again, until and unless a treatment becomes available. Then, I see things loosening up quickly.

Pennsylvania just approved hospitals to restart elective surgeries.

You are not correct. Phase 1 is not completed and interim results won't be available until late June. This article only says that the 40 volunteers have received their first dose. I'm really working on my reading comprehension. Thanks!
"INOVIO, the Doylestown-based pharmaceutical company, has completed the first phase of its clinical trial for a COVID-19 vaccine." SMH

"INOVIO, the Doylestown-based pharmaceutical company, has completed the first phase of its clinical trial for a COVID-19 vaccine." SMH

You read the first sentence and then stopped.

As someone who has spent 30+ years in the pharma business, you know what completing Phase 1 of a clinical trial means.....and it doesn't mean "hey we found 40 people to start taking our vaccine."

You read the first sentence and then stopped.

As someone who has spent 30+ years in the pharma business, you know what completing Phase 1 of a clinical trial means.....and it doesn't mean "hey we found 40 people to start taking our vaccine."
So what's your point, or do you just enjoy trolling? Really, get a life dude. You are really creepy.

As I have stated on previous post we are in this for the long run. We will have to keep protocol for social distancing and close non essential businesses until at least January 2021. The second wave will be brutal. We will practice social distancing and wear face masks in public places for the rest of our lives.

Just because you repeat it over and over doesn't make it true. You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT