ADVERTISEMENT

Moving to Phase II

In the mail today was a $1,200 Covid relief check from Uncle Sam made out to my Uncle who died last year.

And just to check. What have I said that is wrong? I truly do think people will just adopt to this way of living. We will be practicing for the next year or year and half. Then after that it will just be routine. People will find it routine just to stay 6 feet away and wear masks in public. And who says the government will ever take away the restrictions of staying 6 feet away and wearing masks?

And just to check. What have I said that is wrong? I truly do think people will just adopt to this way of living. We will be practicing for the next year or year and half. Then after that it will just be routine. People will find it routine just to stay 6 feet away and wear masks in public. And who says the government will ever take away the restrictions of staying 6 feet away and wearing masks?

bruh, reign it in a bit. Sure the selfish right wing mouth breathers are scoffing at you, but even those on here that agree about expressing a great amount of caution with post-quarantine CV life are looking at you funny. If you’re for real, tone it down bc honestly most of your posts look like they may be trolling (and if so, well done). I keep thinking this is a long con from Pantilones.

The great Dr. Fauci said today that "we are in for a long fall" if we don't get the proper treatment. And he seemed pretty pessimistic there will be a treatment by this fall. Also he also wanted people to know it is possible we will never have a vaccine for covid-19. People on here will never realize that. Dr fauci said a vaccine isn't a guarantee. Scary stuff folks!

Reactions: silkcitypirate
bruh, reign it in a bit. Sure the selfish right wing mouth breathers are scoffing at you, but even those on here that agree about expressing a great amount of caution with post-quarantine CV life are looking at you funny. If you’re for real, tone it down bc honestly most of your posts look like they may be trolling (and if so, well done). I keep thinking this is a long con from Pantilones.

Not a troll Bobbie. Just honestly predicting what the future will hold for us. Please remember Bobbie that people on this board were calling me a "moron" a couple months ago I said this was going to be a worldwide pandemic. These people told me "this will pass" and the United States will never be harmed like this.

What I am saying is what I truly think will happen. I'm really hoping I'm wrong. But I truly think our lives will be radically changed forever. You will see people in masks in all public places and sporting events for the rest of our lives.

Berenson? Are you kidding me? He was a product of the fake news NY times. Gotta come up with a better source than that.

Since you replied so quickly, I bet you didn't read any of his twitter posts. I'm not surprised. People like you have very closed minds. I feel for you.

Please take a break from the Orwellian propaganda. You'll clear your mind and really see what's going on.

No I read his posts. He still worked for the fake news New York times. That's a fact. The New York Times is part of the "corporate media" that apparently brainwashed me. And he worked for them. How is that close minded? And how do you know you are not getting brain washed by Berenson?

The New York Times is corporate, but it isn't fake. You sound like a Trump groupie with that statement.

I know how to analyze and interpret statistics and data. His viewpoint is generally on the mark. This is pure government overreach. Locking up the young and healthy when there is very little threat to them. Half the deaths are in long term care facilities. Others who die are generally older (over 65) and/or have significant comorbidites.

The New York Times is corporate, but it isn't fake. You sound like a Trump groupie with that statement.

I know how to analyze and interpret statistics and data. His viewpoint is generally on the mark. This is pure government overreach. Locking up the young and healthy when there is very little threat to them. Half the deaths are in long term care facilities. Others who die are generally older (over 65) and/or have significant comorbidites.

There was a guy that I went to college with. 29 now and fully healthy just passed away from the Coronavirus. His family literally said he was barely ever sick growing up. Don't tell me the Coronavirus doesn't affect the young.

Good morning. After reading the latest comments from Dr Fauci and Dr Birx next fall and winter looks like its going to be absolutely brutal. NJ's shelter in place order needs to stay in effect until early 2021 after reading those comments. And I think those great doctors would recommend the same. People will have a routine of wearing masks in public and 6 feet social distancing for the rest of their lives.

There was a guy that I went to college with. 29 now and fully healthy just passed away from the Coronavirus. His family literally said he was barely ever sick growing up. Don't tell me the Coronavirus doesn't affect the young.

Sorry about your friend, that really sucks. But unfortunately he is an exception to what is going on. The statistics say younger folks have a very low risk of serious complications.

Reactions: Pirata
The issue we're seeing is this is a novel virus. It is spreading for the first time and that is what resulted in a spike of hospitalizations and deaths all at once, mostly among the elderly and unhealthy.

As more information comes out and the initial epidemic calms down (which it is), antibody tests roll out, etc, I think you'll find that this is just a bit more deadly than the flu. Here is an interesting post I saw this morning:

I think this will be similar elsewhere around the world once more data is collected. In the 2017-18 flu season, there were over 500,000 hospitalizations in the US and over 60,000 deaths. What you're seeing now with this new virus is similar numbers, just everything hitting at once because it is the first season/cycle. Come next year, I think you'll see similar numbers spread out over the whole season rather than in a month or two.

The issue we're seeing is this is a novel virus. It is spreading for the first time and that is what resulted in a spike of hospitalizations and deaths all at once, mostly among the elderly and unhealthy.

As more information comes out and the initial epidemic calms down (which it is), antibody tests roll out, etc, I think you'll find that this is just a bit more deadly than the flu. Here is an interesting post I saw this morning:

I think this will be similar elsewhere around the world once more data is collected. In the 2017-18 flu season, there were over 500,000 hospitalizations in the US and over 60,000 deaths. What you're seeing now with this new virus is similar numbers, just everything hitting at once because it is the first season/cycle. Come next year, I think you'll see similar numbers spread out over the whole season rather than in a month or two.

Are you trying to convince yourself or someone else? You are correct that in the 2017-2018 flu season there were over 60,000 deaths. You might feel differently if you picked a different year, say 2011-2012 where the results were only 12,000 deaths. Rather than cherry picking data, give the people the facts and let them decide for themselves, and whenever possible, show your work.

Year Estimated Deaths
2010-2011 37000
2011-2012 12000
2012-2013 43000
2013-2014 38000
2014-2015 51000
2015-2016 23000
2016-2017 38000
2017-2018 61000
2018-2019 34157

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Are you trying to convince yourself or someone else? You are correct that in the 2017-2018 flu season there were over 60,000 deaths. You might feel differently if you picked a different year, say 2011-2012 where the results were only 12,000 deaths. Rather than cherry picking data, give the people the facts and let them decide for themselves, and whenever possible, show your work.

Year Estimated Deaths
2010-2011 37000
2011-2012 12000
2012-2013 43000
2013-2014 38000
2014-2015 51000
2015-2016 23000
2016-2017 38000
2017-2018 61000
2018-2019 34157

Any way to get deaths from pneumonia added to this?

Eventually I'd like to compare all of this and see the true effects, accounting for the realization that deaths were saved this year due to shutting down and destroying the economy.

Reactions: Piratz

Eventually I'd like to compare all of this and see the true effects, accounting for the realization that deaths were saved this year due to shutting down and destroying the economy.

I am sure there is although I was not able to find a chart as elegant as the flu site referenced above. If you find one please share it for everyone

The stay at home orders have little to do directly with pneumonia. Pneumonia is not contagious. The flu and Covid-19 are contagious.

What number will have been worth it?

Good morning. After reading the latest comments from Dr Fauci and Dr Birx next fall and winter looks like its going to be absolutely brutal. NJ's shelter in place order needs to stay in effect until early 2021 after reading those comments. And I think those great doctors would recommend the same. People will have a routine of wearing masks in public and 6 feet social distancing for the rest of their lives.

If it is brutal, it will be because it will coincide with flu season, and too many people already don't get vaccinated. Shelter in place will not stay in effect until 2021. Masks for the rest of our lives - nope - maybe you. There will be a vaccine -- guaranteed, in fact there already is one, in phase 2 I believe. Whether or not it will be a "one time" series or an annual/seasonal vaccine is still unclear.

Reactions: shu09 and Piratz

Year Estimated Deaths
2010-2011 37000
2011-2012 12000
2012-2013 43000
2013-2014 38000
2014-2015 51000
2015-2016 23000
2016-2017 38000
2017-2018 61000
2018-2019 34157

I bet those numbers include the dispensable elderly. Can you remove those people who don't matter so I can know the real risk to me from the flu?

.....yes, that is sarcasm.

What number will have been worth it?

I don't know if that's the calculus, maybe it is for some. It sure sounds like it in some places out there. BUT, I'd like to think the argument is about risk assessment and some sort of "normalization" of where COVID-19 may eventually fit compared to viruses we deal with on a regular basis. We are finally getting there with the various testing types. Still need a treatment, but at least the testing is helping our risk assessment with actual data instead of opinion.

We had to do some short of major shutdown as Phase I because it was novel, highly contagious, and our national leadership let us down tremendous. All of them. That approached worked. Disingenuous types are now pointing to the stats and saying we didn't need a shutdown. LOL. Of course. Whatever fits the first opinion.

The current stats on COVID -19 have a huge asterisk to them because they occurred during an unprecedented lockdown.

We had to do some short of major shutdown as Phase I because it was novel, highly contagious, and our national leadership let us down tremendous. All of them. That approached worked. Disingenuous types are now pointing to the stats and saying we didn't need a shutdown. LOL. Of course. Whatever fits the first opinion.

Exactly. I just don't like the takes where people frame this like we had an option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Piratz
At least they may have gotten the Kim Jong-Un thing corect.

Possibly, we don't know that yet. I heard Trump teased something in a press conference the other day, basically saying he knew but couldn't talk about it and we'll all find out at some point soon.

Sounds like there were some excellent initial results from the trial with Remdesivir. Would be major for public confidence to have something proven to work.

Clarity on the antibody testing will be essential too regarding potential immunity. Quest already offering it to consumers.

Things looking up, was just going to take some time.

Sounds like there were some excellent initial results from the trial with Remdesivir. Would be major for public confidence to have something proven to work.

Clarity on the antibody testing will be essential too regarding potential immunity. Quest already offering it to consumers.

Things looking up, was just going to take some time.

This after the Chinese shot it down. I really hope we pull as much as we can out of that country.

This after the Chinese shot it down. I really hope we pull as much as we can out of that country.
Whatever they do...I just hope they are smart about it. Reporters in this country are morons. They all ask what kind of reprecussions will the Chinese face? Anybody with half an ounce of brains is going to sidestep the question taking into consideration China makes all of our medications. But our great reporters keep asking anyway. Common sense lets not get into a war of words with the country who owns our pharmaceutical industry. Let's get it under control here. Insane tax benefits to make the products here. Kick the crap out of China in the wallet.

The one thing that should come out of this is people need to be willing to spend a little more for a tag in the back that says made in the USA.

And now the gouging going on their as well. SMH. It would take a concerted effort across industries with business leaders engaged to do so for a compelling reason. If the next year or so isn't the moment, forget it. This would be the time if that's going to happen. So many companies and industries have been living on that high-wire act with China - and for good reason - have been burnt.

The government throwing tariffs around was never going to be enough to create lasting change (plus no way you could pull things that quickly with that jackhammer approach).

We'll see. This is like turning around the Titanic. A LOT of work and investment would need to happen. Takes time. Cost of goods will increase, but maybe the net result is better in many other ways.

Reactions: shu09
Whatever they do...I just hope they are smart about it. Reporters in this country are morons. They all ask what kind of reprecussions will the Chinese face? Anybody with half an ounce of brains is going to sidestep the question taking into consideration China makes all of our medications. But our great reporters keep asking anyway. Common sense lets not get into a war of words with the country who owns our pharmaceutical industry. Let's get it under control here. Insane tax benefits to make the products here. Kick the crap out of China in the wallet.

The one thing that should come out of this is people need to be willing to spend a little more for a tag in the back that says made in the USA.
China also the source of fentanyl that's doing a lot of killing as well.

China also the source of fentanyl that's doing a lot of killing as well.
My point was we can't overreact to the emotions of negativity vs China. We will kill more Americans because they don't get their medications than the Coronavirus will kill. So they have to proceed with caution.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT