ADVERTISEMENT

NIL Idea

Seton Hall probably doesn’t want to get into bed with Barstool but since money is everything, we have to look the other way and welcome the deep pockets with open arms. If ever we could pull this off, there would be no shortage of cash flow. This is the sort of thing that needs to be done. Will the SHU powers that be agree with this way of forward thinking? I have my doubts but I will be right behind you in support.

Seton Hall probably doesn’t want to get into bed with Barstool but since money is everything, we have to look the other way and welcome the deep pockets with open arms. If ever we could pull this off, there would be no shortage of cash flow. This is the sort of thing that needs to be done. Will the SHU powers that be agree with this way of forward thinking? I have my doubts but I will be right behind you in support.
They give him courtside tickets and all access passes already. They also interact with him on social media and he threw out the first pitch at a baseball game last year. So I think they would do it.

Why would Barstool do NIL for the Hall?

Big Cat is a Wisconsin guy and Portnoy is Michigan

Is someone a Hall alum?

or maybe an event with him? He does frank walks. Maybe a walk-a-thon where people could pledge for the number of lapse he does around the green or campus? Usually he has a guest walk with him. Maybe ask different coaches/players to walk with him for parts of it. Or some of the top pledges can walk.

I wouldn’t have thought so, either, but that horse is already out of the barn. It’s unfortunate when the need to compete requires the university to sell some of its integrity a little bit at a time, but I guess that‘s just part of the cost of athletics at this level.

This relationship also isn’t the first time we’ve done so — not by a long shot. If only it didn’t have to be, but it really is a binary choice today.

Reactions: Hall Is Life
When the Trove speaks to Mike McBride after the season this question will be asked.

Can you please also ask him if they are trying to reach out to the ticked off big money donors of other institutions that have shown to be antisemitic? There are a lot of deep pocket donors that have had to publicly pull donations back in the current climate. They want to spend it somewhere, why not Seton Hall? Show them it is a safe space for students. While they might not be looking to donate in the NIL space, they can make donations that will help the University and ultimately the athletic program.

When we have Mike answer questions I am going to ask our Trove readers to submit them.

I will then pick 10 from those offered and have Mike respond.

How great would it be for Frank the Tank to become our defacto mascot. Set up a throne for him near the student section. The students would eat it up. Make him part of the experience of coming to the game.

As far as NIL, I think it is possible to get into bed with a company like barstool. They are a sports brand with a local office. They regularly cover college basketball on their programs unlike a lot of mainstream media. The Big East seems to be the under appreciated conference as it is, why not partner with the outsider. It will def bring new, younger eyes to the program with a large social media presence. We have to think outside the box.

Last edited:
I’m not even into barstool and understand their reach

They can do 1 mil of t-shirts in about 10 minutes.

And Frank the Tank is one of their more public figures

Should have already been done…crazy that it hasn’t

Reactions: PF58
This should be done immediately, strike while the iron is hot.
Not SHU's strong suit...

I'm not a huge Bar Stool follower either, but enough to know. Portnoy's pizza reviews have a huge influence. He reviewed a place called Moonlight Pizza in PenArgyl, PA (I'm sure no one knows where that is) and they ended up closing the dining room because they couldn't keep up with demand because of his reviews.

Not SHU's strong suit...

I'm not a huge Bar Stool follower either, but enough to know. Portnoy's pizza reviews have a huge influence. He reviewed a place called Moonlight Pizza in PenArgyl, PA (I'm sure no one knows where that is) and they ended up closing the dining room because they couldn't keep up with demand because of his reviews.

Same with the place in Raritan. Ridiculously busy since the review.

Reactions: sardonni
The problem is that Frank & Barstool aren't non-profit organizations. You can "bet" they'll want their share of the pie. I'd be very weary of getting Barstool involved in our NIL program.

Reactions: Piratz
Portnoy would have to take on SHU as his personal favorite or something on the rarified air he treats some of the pizza businesses, like Luigi’s in Brooklyn, New Haven, etc. High risk, high reward. Do they want to get into the NIL drama? Maybe could provide them good content. I doubt SHU would want to be in there.

The stuff with Frank is great. He’s a genuine fan and it does more for program awareness than the school does.

Excellent job by General_Tso broaching this subject.

As I told you above, the school was aware of this thread and here is their response......

Frank Fleming is a local personality that Onward Setonia, and SHU Athletics prior, have nurtured an authentic relationship with that celebrates being a fan of Seton Hall Athletics. Both sides are in constant contact and have many (fun) future plans to collaborate. While you look forward to those collaborations, please contribute to the campaign honoring our volunteers. Especially this year's effort in Halldan's name and consider attending our March 11th Big East Tip-off event.

Excellent job by General_Tso broaching this subject.

As I told you above, the school was aware of this thread and here is their response......

Frank Fleming is a local personality that Onward Setonia, and SHU Athletics prior, have nurtured an authentic relationship with that celebrates being a fan of Seton Hall Athletics. Both sides are in constant contact and have many (fun) future plans to collaborate. While you look forward to those collaborations, please contribute to the campaign honoring our volunteers. Especially this year's effort in Halldan's name and consider attending our March 11th Big East Tip-off event.

Fumbling the bag again. No one outside of this board will care about Seton Hall NIL outside of March.

Similar to the HallDan fundraiser.

Do one in Frank The Tanks name. He is local, a SHU fan, extremely popular with a huge following and works at a massive brand.

He will get some of the names at barstool around it and the number will be hit quickly.
Great idea! I'm going to see if I can help get this going.

Reactions: SHU Advisory
Frank "The Tank" Fleming hails from New York and has been a sports enthusiast for most of his life. Before gaining fame through Barstool Sports, Frank had a career in IT, but his passion for sports and his larger-than-life personality eventually led him to the world of online content creation.

Mike, those at the school are already working on it.
"working on it" is almost too late. Plan should have been implemented weeks ago. I think he attended a few games much earlier this season. Seton Hall cannot afford to NOT capitalize on these types of things

Reactions: General_Tso
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT