ADVERTISEMENT

This team hates success

Shuathelete

All World
Feb 3, 2013
this is not an overreaction. We don’t want leads, we are allergic to success.

Senior lead team this sloppy?? It’s one thing to have a bad game, it’s another to piss your own game away. We spend more time during the game trying to lose than we do trying to win.

Simple as that. Can’t handle any pressure whatsoever.

Chance to go ahead down 1, promptly make unneeded sloppy turnover and let them go on s SEVENTEEN and 0 run.

This happened the last zillion games, eventually the bridge is too far to cross.

Zero excuses this game. Last of focus, just like every game (which is unacceptable) finally hit them in the ass

Reactions: Piratefan2009
Shuath posting with a grin on his face. Shit effort tonight see how we grind out the last 8 and move on to gtown.

Senior lead team this sloppy?? It’s one thing to have a bad game, it’s another to piss your own game away. We spend more time during the game trying to lose than we do trying to win.

Can’t play under pressure. Really! We just won three tough games down the stretch. Neither we nor any body else is going tio win every game.

Reactions: HallB
Can’t play under pressure. Really! We just won three tough games down the stretch. Neither we nor any body else is going tio win every game.
Talking about that number next to us. We’re not just losing, we’re getting WAXED. We have a number next to our name in the tournament too

So, it happens. Nova got waxed for 35 minutes at Butler. Worse team for us to play coming off the grinder at Butler. We have to chase their fidget guards all over the place. Our top 3 guys played 38+ minutes. They’re gassed. Simple as that.

Not a 13th ranked team - Marquette is a GREAT offensive team. We are inconsistent. Outrebounded don’t box out. Long season ahead. We are not consistent shooters. Run nothing for Powell.

Reactions: SHUMA04
If they hate success so much why did they win 14 of the first 16?
Gtown did that too. Succes then L to URI. Success then L to Rutgers. #13 success then one of the worst losses in recent memory. They are a good team who can’t handle success.

I get you lose games but it happens at the moment when we can take the next step.

We were
Not a 13th ranked team - Marquette is a GREAT offensive team. We are inconsistent. Outrebounded don’t box out. Long season ahead. We are not consistent shooters. Run nothing for Powell.
We were dominated. We need to cover pick and roll offense going forward. Embarrassing.

So, it happens. Nova got waxed for 35 minutes at Butler. Worse team for us to play coming off the grinder at Butler. We have to chase their fidget guards all over the place. Our top 3 guys played 38+ minutes. They’re gassed. Simple as that.
Gassed? Excuse tbh. Early in conference play and they’ve played 1 less game. Hope that’s not the case.

It’s not stamina it’s focus

Reactions: LBP43
Embarrassing loss tonight. Too many guys didn't show up to play. Sandro, Cale and Walker need a lot of work.

It's definitely a pattern: We don't deal well with prosperity (national ranking or tourney birth) and aren't good enough to consistently overcome the bedshitting byproduct.

We are the seniors and this is the young Marquette team. Not acceptable. We were outrebounded and torched. We don’t defend the pick and roll and we don’t have anyone on the bench who is a game changer. They are great shooters - hats off to them.

Reactions: Abbo71
The biggest joke is the complaining from this fan base...it wasnt our night..simple as that...get over it and make a statement vs gtown....same thing at the games...we miss one shot and every starts rolling their eyes and complaining...enough already

Talking about that number next to us. We’re not just losing, we’re getting WAXED. We have a number next to our name in the tournament too
Guess you missed Michigan State at Ohio State this weekend ? It’s conference play road losses happen. We The sky is not falling - there are things to work on but every team has stuff to work on. Hall still a good team. Take a step off the cliff it will be ok. Rebound on Saturday

Teams are going to give an A effort at home vs. a top 15 team. Our effort did not match it. That equals a 20 point loss vs. any decent team. I do agree it happens. Move on to Saturday.

Gassed? Excuse tbh. Early in conference play and they’ve played 1 less game. Hope that’s not the case.

It’s not stamina it’s focus
We played two road games in 4 days. Our top 3 guys played 38+ minutes at Butler. If you don’t think that has an impact then you just don’t want to acknowledge it. We played poorly. A lot of reasons for it. Next up Georgetown. The team will bounce back.

These allergic to success threads are just sickening - top 5 RPI team going into tonight and got torched by one of the top offensive teams in the country in a pick’em game.

Went 1-1 versus 2 top 50 RPI teams on the road. No good?

Please get a clue.

We are going to lose 8-10 games this year. Brace yourselves. Losses happen.

I’m more interested in how they rebound this weekend. Meanwhile, you guys enjoy the 1001 posts of how much we suck, hate success, Willard was out coached and that was a must win.

I call it a loss, move on.

You can give excuses, but a team this talented and ranked this high should not get bombed like this. It happens, but still. The falling behind early isn’t a freak occurrence, it’s a pattern and a problem.
Because when you think #13 you generally don’t think of a team with a bunch of huge come from behind wins. It happens because we haven’t proven to be good enough for 40 minutes. We’re a work in progress. We need Willard to pull off the magic he has the last 2 years getting these guys to click on all cylinders in February

Reactions: SHUMA04
We are the hunted. This is the big east. It happens. I would have signed up for 1-1 before the trip. 2-1 in the next 3 would be acceptable. This game should already be in the rear view mirror.

Last edited:
Reactions: PiratePride
For me it’s not that we lost, it’s how we lost. It’s a pattern of bad habits. If we’re already fatigued then start getting used to these habits biting us more often.

Everyone has bad games but it’s not always through lack of effort and focus. All our losses are, and we almost had 2 more. Seems unsustainable to always have to come from behind over double digits.

Reactions: mbraue
I'm guilty of this myself:
Solid road win against Butler: "We can easily start the season 5-0, maybe 6-0 even though Creighton on the road is tough, then anything can happen at home against Xavier..."

Tough road loss to Marquette: "We're too sloppy, there's no way we compete with Nova or Xavier on the road, Creighton is looming..."

I'm just as upset as the next SHU fan about tonight, but it's important not to let your thoughts on the season as a whole ride on a bad (or good) game. We know going into BE play there's going to be games like this. Win Saturday and move on.

big losses happen our 88-89 team was unbeaten and coming off gtown win...got destroyed by cuse
Yeah we lost to Cuse 3 times that year (and twice to Pitt), but Syracuse was a top 5 team with 4 nba players including the no. 1 overall pick. Easier to swallow than this one

Disappointed in the way that we lost. They did look gassed.... which I was surprised at since they had a couple days to recover from the Butler game and should have been rested. Body language not there at all during the game.... very emotionless. Embarrassing loss in which we let MU dominate the pace..... + the 3 pt shooting that helped us win @ Butler... disappeared.

Oh well........ rear view mirror.... VRROOOOOOOOM.

Reactions: bc12786
On the flip side...this team has responded to clunckers like this well. Let's let it play out.

My biggest concern is the defense. This has to improve or we are going to end up very disappointed this year.

It's interesting that so many very good players seem to take nights off together. the rebounding was a good measure of how hard they were playing. I guess this is the personality of this squad. Perplexing. Its the leadership problem I think.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT