ADVERTISEMENT

Top 25 Carnage Continues

LeftCoastPirates

All Big East
Feb 6, 2019
Posted this in another thread. Updated after last night’s 20 point collapse by Memphis.

Baylor (9) lost @ Kansas St
Memphis (10) vs USF
Wisconsin (11) lost @ Penn St
Utah St (16) lost @ New Mexico
Creighton (18) lost @ UConn
TCU (19) lost @ Cincinnati
Ole Miss (22) lost @ LSU
Iowa State (24) lost @ BYU (20)
Texas Tech (25) lost @ Houston (5)

Then…
Texas Tech (25) plays BYU (20)
Iowa St (24) plays TCU (19)
Ole Miss (22) plays Auburn (13)
Oklahoma (15) plays @ Cincinnati
Marquette (17) plays @ St. John’s
Creighton (18) plays @ Seton Hall

Plenty of top 25 movement already taking place. Huge opportunity tomorrow.

A win and most likely entering the polls somewhere around 18 is my call. If more top 25 fallout. There could be a chance to be even higher.

Posted this in another thread. Updated after last night’s 20 point collapse by Memphis.

Memphis (10) vs USF
Ole Miss (22) lost @ LSU

Then…
Texas Tech (25) plays BYU (20)
Iowa St (24) plays TCU (19)
Ole Miss (22) plays Auburn (13)
Oklahoma (15) plays @ Cincinnati
Marquette (17) plays @ St. John’s
Creighton (18) plays @ Seton Hall

Plenty of top 25 movement already taking place. Huge opportunity tomorrow.

A win and most likely entering the polls somewhere around 18 is my call. If more top 25 fallout. There could be a chance to be even higher.

Updated after 1/20 games…

Kansas (3) lost @ West Virginia
Duke (7) lost vs Pittsburgh
Baylor (9) lost @ Texas
Memphis (10) vs USF
TCU (19) lost vs Iowa St (24)
BYU (20) lost @ Texas Tech (25)
Ole Miss (22) lost @ LSU
Ole Miss (22) lost @ Auburn (13)

Could there have been enough loses in the top 25 for the Hall to still get into the polls with the respect from a hard fought triple OT loss to a top 25 team and a thrashing of St. John’s?

San Diego state lost to Boise
Colorado St won twice at home but had to squeak by lesser competition.
New Mexico won twice knocking off Utah St.

But no one else outside the top 25 really made any noteworthy noise.

Our loss got some national attention today. Ole Miss and TCU should drop out with two losses

Texas Tech, BYU, and Iowa state each won and lost a game vs an opponent in the 19-25 range.

It’s really debatable but I believe Seton Hall is playing like a top 25 team, but can they sneak in with 6 losses?

I’ll say that they still remain on the outside looking in.

Last edited:
I agree with not dropping much or at all. Probably between 27-29 range. There is outside chance we sneak in but probably not. Don’t think a 3OT loss to ranked team hurts us much. Win both this upcoming week and we should be in next Monday.

I think the 6 losses is the one variable for voters that have not seen us play that may keep us out. My guess is we come in at 26. On the cusp. Hope I am wrong and we just come in at 25.
26 would be fair and a source of motivation. I have no problem with us bouncing between 26 and 30 the rest of the season.

We need to be RU fans until the NCAA tourney, if RU climbs into the RPI top 75 that Quad 3 loss disappears.

26 would be fair and a source of motivation. I have no problem with us bouncing between 26 and 30 the rest of the season.

We need to be RU fans until the NCAA tourney, if RU climbs into the RPI top 75 that Quad 3 loss disappears.
So you would be ok with us basically win one lose one the rest of the season? 🤦‍♂️

Stop with the storyline that we are better when we aren’t ranked. It’s such a weak mentality.

You think when the 2019-20 Powell team got ranked as high as 8th, they were like time to lose a couple so that people don’t play us as hard?

You think Danny Hurley when he said you better get us now because we are coming, he put ranked 26th-30th as the goal on the bulletin board in the locker room?

So you would be ok with us basically win one lose one the rest of the season? 🤦‍♂️

Stop with the storyline that we are better when we aren’t ranked. It’s such a weak mentality.

You think when the 2019-20 Powell team got ranked as high as 8th, they were like time to lose a couple so that people don’t play us as hard?

You think Danny Hurley when he said you better get us now because we are coming, he put ranked 26th-30th as the goal on the bulletin board in the locker room?
It is so ridiculous.

I’d much rather hover around 28 than rattle off some more big victories and get a protected seed as a top 15 team. We want to be the hunter, not the hunted.

Uh, that ⬆️ doesn’t sound utterly stupid to some?

Reactions: LeftCoastPirates
Memphis struggling against Tulane. At the half. Would two really bad losses may put them on the fringes of staying in the top 25.
they lost at USF earlier in the week.

Reactions: LeftCoastPirates
I want to be ranked as high as possible so we get the highest seed possible and cause that means we are winning. The only wat for us not to be ranked is to lose. If a high seed would disrupt the team so we start losing, we werent that good anyway. Win.

Reactions: Halldan1 and sami
"WEAK MENTALITY" and "UTTERLY STUPID" , there are better ways to express your differences of opinion.

A ranking between 26 and 30 would get us into the NCAA tourney, and overwhelmingly exceeds preseason expectations. Had I said that we'd make the Dance on December 10th, you would have used the same terms. Given where we are and early expectations, I'm down for 26.

In a perfect world, I'd love for us to be inside the Top 25.

There's a lot of season to go, and if we falter, you may be happy with 26 as well.

There's no need to demean people who have differences of opinion.
Uh please check the responses. I didn’t use the words “UTTERLY STUPID”.

I was trying to be nice by saying weak mentality.

Last time I have checked this type of response has literally been called, stupid, pathetic, BETA, you name it by other posters.

I personally will never be ok with that attitude of settling. It’s a LOSER mentality.

Bob Hurley St used to push his Jerry Walker St Anthony teams to be #1 in the country and then told them they could go wipe their ass with the new paper press clippings once they got there.

Strive to be the BEST and then don’t become complacent when you get there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT