ADVERTISEMENT

Earl Timberlake ’20

Rutgers didn’t sell anything. The Big 10 saw two large east coast markets it wanted to infiltrate with RU and MD and it pounced. Our sell to Timberlake is a stable consistent winning program with coaches he trusts and knows give a crap about their kids, both in terms of player development and personal growth. Then you point to a kid like Powell who went from a backend top 100 recruit to a potential national POY with professional opportunities of some kind. Oh, and you aren’t going to be competing with the one and dones for PT like you will at UNC, who will recruit over you in a second.

NYC has nothing to do with the Hall except for being a fertile recruiting ground. The general NYC population cares little to nothing about our program; we never came close to owning NY even in our glory years, and there are a half dozen our programs ahead of us in that regard with long standing ties to the area. We are fortunate Braziller’s focus is on college hoops and so he gives us some ink when we deserve it.

I’m all about thinking big. Let’s focus on winning NJ given Nova’s influence in the state and Rutgers with their nine million alum dying for anything close to a decent season

Has ur boss ever told you that you need to be do better with ambiguity? Has he ever said you need to do better with something thats spelled out right in front of your face?

for gods sake rutgers sold itself to the big 10 with nyc...

Rutgers didn’t sell anything. The Big 10 saw two large east coast markets it wanted to infiltrate with RU and MD and it pounced. Our sell to Timberlake is a stable consistent winning program with coaches he trusts and knows give a crap about their kids, both in terms of player development and personal growth. Then you point to a kid like Powell who went from a backend top 100 recruit to a potential national POY with professional opportunities of some kind. Oh, and you aren’t going to be competing with the one and dones for PT like you will at UNC, who will recruit over you in a second.

NYC has nothing to do with the Hall except for being a fertile recruiting ground. The general NYC population cares little to nothing about our program; we never came close to owning NY even in our glory years, and there are a half dozen our programs ahead of us in that regard with long standing ties to the area. We are fortunate Braziller’s focus is on college hoops and so he gives us some ink when we deserve it.

I’m all about thinking big. Let’s focus on winning NJ given Nova’s influence in the state and Rutgers with their nine million alum dying for anything close to a decent season
Nyc is 30 min away. And theee city in the world. We are as close distance wise to msg than st johns.

focus on winning nj? No recruit gives a rats ass about nj. Nj stinks. South orange stinks. Sell the city to those that have never been. Grow one sales bone in your body. Nyc matters way more than jersey to everyone not just recruits. My god

Reactions: shu09
Nyc is 30 min away. And theee city in the world. We are as close distance wise to msg than st johns.

focus on winning nj? No recruit gives a rats ass about nj. Nj stinks. South orange stinks. Sell the city to those that have never been. Grow one sales bone in your body. Nyc matters way more than jersey to everyone not just recruits. My god

Good evening.

I do agree with you that NYC is undoubtedly a strong selling point of our program. Whether it is an important issue to Timberlake and his family, that obviously remains to be seen (or maybe we will never know). I’ve never lived in NJ, nor did I study at Seton Hall. Nevertheless, to me Seton Hall (being located in South Orange) is clearly within the gravitational area of NYC. For example:

(1) Seton Hall is in NYC’s media market. TV, radio, newspapers, etc. Potentially still the nation’s most important media market. NYC media clearly treats St. John’s as the primary college basketball team from NYC (and after all their campus sits on a city borough), but Seton Hall has always been fairly well covered too. While I was growing up in the 70’s, I remember how my dad valued the coverage of the NY Times and the NY Post.

(2) Major professional sport leagues have treated teams from this part of Jersey as being “New York” teams, i.e. NY Jets, NJ Nets (for many years) and the Devils.

(3) The MSG has always been a special “homecourt” for the Hall. Moreover, didn’t we use to schedule some home games at the MSG before we played at the Meadowlands? Furthermore, it is sufficiently close to SHU for students and alumni to go for games played there, even at night.

(4) When we recruit NYC players, we recruit them as if they are staying “home”, not leaving to play in another state. Whitehead, Carrington, Rhoden and Nelson (as many others in the past) always said they valued staying “home”. Moreover, SHU Admissions for non-athletes highlights the benefit of going to school right next to NYC.

(5) If NYC is not to be used as part of our recruiting pitch, should we use Newark??? In that sense, regretfully, no city in NJ is an actual recruiting highlight for any college, just as Camden (or Atlantic City) is not either for those in South Jersey, but rather they sell their proximity to Philadelphia and its media market.

(6) Plus, BTW, don’t most people in South Orange work or gravitate often to NYC, in order to do business, go shopping, or simply for entertainment, etc.?

In essence, I do hope that the schedule set-up for Timberlake’s allowed him to have a good feel for why Seton Hall would be his best fit and an exceptional college choice.

The future looks very bright at Seton Hall!
Son of Joe Seton ‘49

Good evening.

I do agree with you that NYC is undoubtedly a strong selling point of our program. Whether it is an important issue to Timberlake and his family, that obviously remains to be seen (or maybe we will never know). I’ve never lived in NJ, nor did I study at Seton Hall. Nevertheless, to me Seton Hall (being located in South Orange) is clearly within the gravitational area of NYC. For example:

(1) Seton Hall is in NYC’s media market. TV, radio, newspapers, etc. Potentially still the nation’s most important media market. NYC media clearly treats St. John’s as the primary college basketball team from NYC (and after all their campus sits on a city borough), but Seton Hall has always been fairly well covered too. While I was growing up in the 70’s, I remember how my dad valued the coverage of the NY Times and the NY Post.

(2) Major professional sport leagues have treated teams from this part of Jersey as being “New York” teams, i.e. NY Jets, NJ Nets (for many years) and the Devils.

(3) The MSG has always been a special “homecourt” for the Hall. Moreover, didn’t we use to schedule some home games at the MSG before we played at the Meadowlands? Furthermore, it is sufficiently close to SHU for students and alumni to go for games played there, even at night.

(4) When we recruit NYC players, we recruit them as if they are staying “home”, not leaving to play in another state. Whitehead, Carrington, Rhoden and Nelson (as many others in the past) always said they valued staying “home”. Moreover, SHU Admissions for non-athletes highlights the benefit of going to school right next to NYC.

(5) If NYC is not to be used as part of our recruiting pitch, should we use Newark??? In that sense, regretfully, no city in NJ is an actual recruiting highlight for any college, just as Camden (or Atlantic City) is not either for those in South Jersey, but rather they sell their proximity to Philadelphia and its media market.

(6) Plus, BTW, don’t most people in South Orange work or gravitate often to NYC, in order to do business, go shopping, or simply for entertainment, etc.?

In essence, I do hope that the schedule set-up for Timberlake’s allowed him to have a good feel for why Seton Hall would be his best fit and an exceptional college choice.

The future looks very bright at Seton Hall!
Son of Joe Seton ‘49
nice breakdown -Son of Joe!

And suppose the Timberlakes hate cities? You sell to your audience.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Willard needs to sell the successes of his players on and off the court, the fact that we play in a pro arena and that our games are on national TV. That last part used to be a given with high major teams. But with the ACC starting a channel, the AAC and Big 12 signing ESPN + agreements and the PAC 12 crappy channel... it is now hard for a family to watch all the games.
Now is the time to rise above or at least move up to the level of these teams that are out recruiting us.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Family, family, academics, no bad extra curriculars, consistant success, Myles Powell,. And family, like iw visiting last week, like angel being part of today, with ike's Mom. Dont you think these things give us nice insight into how we are presenting ourselves?

NY pays attention when Seton Hall is playing well. For those not old enough to remember the Final Four in 1989, the Empire State building was lit up in Pirate Blue during Final Four weekend.

NY will pay attention to the Hall, if we perform up to expectations this year. Besides the Yankees, who are off season during college basketball season, there is nothing for sports fans to get excited about. Go PIRATES!!!

Last edited:
Family, family, academics, no bad extra curriculars, consistant success, Myles Powell,. And family, like iw visiting last week, like angel being part of today, with ike's Mom. Dont you think these things give us nice insight into how we are presenting ourselves?

Those are certainly all positives for us but the question is whether those strengths resonate with the recruit and are they important to him in reaching his decision.

NY pays attention when Seton Hall is playing well. For those not old enough to remember the Final Four in 1989, the Empire State building was lit up in Pirate Blue during Final Four weekend.

NY will pay attention to the Hall, if we perform up to expectations this year. Besides the Yankees, who are off season during college basketball season, there is nothing for sports fans to get excited about. Go PIRATES!!!

I call BS on the Empire State Building being lit up in Pirate Blue 30 years ago.

And as Seton75 pointed out, you sell to each recruit. If you have kids that will be impressed by New York, you take them there. It’s a pretty good asset to have 15 miles from campus. If not, take them somewhere else.

Those are certainly all positives for us but the question is whether those strengths resonate with the recruit and are they important to him in reaching his decision.
Right. The staff knows the kid. We wouldn't recognize him if he walked past us. We can make the perfect presentation and still lose, and make a mediocre one and win.

Pantilones hopes they brought out more than downtown Newark and Owen T Carroll Field. St. John's takes all recruits on a tour of Madison Square Garden.
You know what when I was a younger guy I used to think the world of msg, the marquee events in boxing hoops entertainment that has taken place but now it's just another arena good that conf is affiliated with it but I don't see a recruit signing anywhere because of proximity to msg like a big ten or acc recruit wanting to sign with those conf because maybe once or twice in their 4 seasons they would play at barclays

if he wants a nice neighborhood then kiss him goodbye to chapel hill. Nyc is an asset, even if they dont like cities it still makes shu look legit... good thing the actual campus isnt in the city

Anyway all this is being said while they indeed did take him to nyc and to the nbapa gym. Thats a dream. And thats what every player nowadays knows because of social media.

That type of year, sure and I’m old enough to recall that. That’s an outlier though. By and large we are a blip on the radar to the casual NY sports fan, if that. And there are about 5 teams in front of us, if not more, that garner attention when they have anything resembling a good year. It doesn’t bother me because I have never thought it was a factor, unlike growing our fan base in our own state with the Nova factor, Rutgers and other programs.
You want to increase fandom and ticket sales, win NJ in a real and quantifiable way and there will be no shortage of folks or endless threads begging people to show up for a good product.

Actually I think that’s true but maybe I’m confusing it with another memory I recall on that.

I call BS on the Empire State Building being lit up in Pirate Blue 30 years ago.

And as Seton75 pointed out, you sell to each recruit. If you have kids that will be impressed by New York, you take them there. It’s a pretty good asset to have 15 miles from campus. If not, take them somewhere else.

Because of TV coverage and the multitude of professional venues teams now play at, I agree it’s no longer the factor it was. It still matters more than most any other arena but we’ve seen in NBA free agency that other factors have far more of an influence.

You know what when I was a younger guy I used to think the world of msg, the marquee events in boxing hoops entertainment that has taken place but now it's just another arena good that conf is affiliated with it but I don't see a recruit signing anywhere because of proximity to msg like a big ten or acc recruit wanting to sign with those conf because maybe once or twice in their 4 seasons they would play at barclays

The Empire State Building was lit in Seton Hall royal blue and Villanova navy blue for the Big East final recently.

But not 30 years ago. You of all people should know that Empire State Building owners once refused to even light up the building in colors to honor Mother Teresa.

And BTW, this thread has strayed off on some really strange directions.

Reactions: Section112
There's no reason not to play up proximity to New York City. However, proximity and relevance are mutually exclusive.

Case in point, the Post has a story about the latest SJU verbal as they have for each of the players Mike Anderson has brought in. The last ink we got in the Post was when Kevin was being courted by Virginia Tech.

The only time the NY media will care about Seton Hall is if we make a deep run in the tournament, more so this year if we are playing NCAA games at the Garden.

Bingo. He will gives Myles some attention and the Isiah crew did because of Whitehead & Co and all surrounding that. But by and large you are dead on. And UConn with Hurley will continue to get ink from them

There's no reason not to play up proximity to New York City. However, proximity and relevance are mutually exclusive.

Case in point, the Post has a story about the latest SJU verbal as they have for each of the players Mike Anderson has brought in. The last ink we got in the Post was when Kevin was being courted by Virginia Tech.

The only time the NY media will care about Seton Hall is if we make a deep run in the tournament, more so this year if we are playing NCAA games at the Garden.

How old are you? I know for a fact that NY recognized Seton Hall in their run to the championship game in 1989, and the ESB was lit in blue. Unfortunately, I was in Seattle watching the Final Four and didn't get to experience the excitement on the east coast.

How old are you? I know for a fact that NY recognized Seton Hall in their run to the championship game in 1989, and the ESB was lit in blue. Unfortunately, I was in Seattle watching the Final Four and didn't get to experience the excitement on the east coast.

Older than you think. And from the vibe from your posts, I wouldn’t be surprised if you were at MSG for the NIT in ‘53.

Zac covers the Pirates very well and has for the last 4 years.

Walsh, the guy is Lloyd Dobler. The one and only:

I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed.

For the record, I don’t recall the Empire State Building being lit up either. And I still have nearly all the press clippings from every local paper for that tourney run.

Doesn’t mean that it wasn’t, but I don’t remember it.

Exactly...First rule of sales is to LISTEN first. Kids (and their parents) want different things. Got to know that before you start selling what you have in the bag.

But not 30 years ago. You of all people should know that Empire State Building owners once refused to even light up the building in colors to honor Mother Teresa.

And BTW, this thread has strayed off on some really strange directions.

The Mother Teresa thing with the Empire State Building was relatively recently. Society has changed much since 1989. But comparing Mother Teresa to Seton Hall is like comparing apples to oranges. Ultimately, your point is a non-sequitur.

Reactions: donnie_baseball
The Mother Teresa thing with the Empire State Building was relatively recently. Society has changed much since 1989. But comparing Mother Teresa to Seton Hall is like comparing apples to oranges. Ultimately, your point is a non-sequitur.

The point is that the they’ve lowered their standards of what they light up the building for in more recent years, and also that this thread has gotten really silly.

So he was here two weeks in a row and we can't get a commit........what is it going to take.

Does his mom need a job, can someone help finish this off?

Hopefully he wants to go to class, I am sure UNC is very appealing if you don't like school.....

So um back to Timberlake...

So he was here two weeks in a row and we can't get a commit........what is it going to take.

Does his mom need a job, can someone help finish this off?

Hopefully he wants to go to class, I am sure UNC is very appealing if you don't like school.....
How do you know we can’t get a commit from him? Did you go back to Maryland with him and his mom? Visit just ended today. Hopefully we hear something positive in the coming days.

We can get one......but we didn't yet........you know how guys commit when they are on their official visit......it happens you know......

How do you know we can’t get a commit from him? Did you go back to Maryland with him and his mom? Visit just ended today. Hopefully we hear something positive in the coming days.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT