ADVERTISEMENT

Earl Timberlake ’20

Personally I think he would have to be crazy to cancel his unc visit on October 11th. What’s the rush? Go to UNC see what they are all about and make your decision in 2 weeks. He’s waited this long what’s another 2 weeks?

I absolutely think Timberlake will take the UNC visit. Why the hell not?

Regardless of the outcome, this time around doesn’t feel desperate. From what’s been reported, i think the SHU staff made all the right moves and I have a good feeling.

Whatever happens, this kid doesn’t seem the type to be bought and he’ll choose what’s best for him in the long run. Makes me think he’s the type that’s made for embodying “culture” at a basketball program.

Reactions: thehall07
No one really knows what was said during or at the end of the visit. I suggest sitting back and being patient. Act like you've been here before and hopefully we get our guy and hear soon.

Good evening to all.

Patience is a great virtue. Regretfully in this day and age of instant gratification, it is a somewhat forgotten one (and I top the list with myself among those who sometimes fall into such a predicament).

I have no doubt whatsoever that choosing Seton Hall over the other finalists would likely be Timberlake’s most important decision up to this point in his life. Most importantly, I’m talking far more than basketball here.

So I welcome anybody else who wishes to join me in praying for this young man and his family, so that the Lord may light the way and guide him properly in this process.

As for our team, I’m confident they will be fine one way or the other. May God bless them at all times.

The future does look bright at Seton Hall!
Son of Joe Seton ‘49

Just a gut feeling, reading the tea leaves, looking at social media and Earl’s posts on Instagram and previous posts - I’m thinking he could be wearing Pirate Blue. His low key demeanor, DeMatha Catholic background, Skinn relationship + two visits in a row with mom: feeling good about this one.

The UNC fanbase doesn't seem overly concerned about Timberlake. They've got other big fish they're more concerned with. Timberlake would be risking a lot to go there. With such a decadent abundance of talent at UNC, even a 5 star player could end up being an after thought or being recruited over.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShuBall
Isn’t the bigger question whether or not he goes to hang with John Legend in Friartown this weekend?

5 stars that could commit to UNC Cade Cunningham or Bryce Thompson won’t change anything IMO bc they are big CGs unless Timberlake wants to play some big guard in college early on and/or wants the ball in his hands more.

So there is 5 star Zaire Williams who visited last wkd to UNC. He is a 6-7 SF, 5th best player in class according to 247sports from west coast...Stanford also has some crystal ball votes but UNC still favored. Older articles state that he may wait till Spring to decide.

5 stars that could commit to UNC Cade Cunningham or Bryce Thompson won’t change anything IMO bc they are big CGs unless Timberlake wants to play some big guard in college early on and/or wants the ball in his hands more.

So there is 5 star Zaire Williams who visited last wkd to UNC. He is a 6-7 SF, 5th best player in class according to 247sports from west coast...Stanford also has some crystal ball votes but UNC still favored. Older articles state that he may wait till Spring to decide.

Either guarantee minutes at SHU or wait and possibly risk losing minutest at UNC?

Your post below infers that all kids who create packages for themselves or are subject to a certain “price” are bad for a teams “culture” or bad kids generally? You’re not serious with that right?

I absolutely think Timberlake will take the UNC visit. Why the hell not?

Regardless of the outcome, this time around doesn’t feel desperate. From what’s been reported, i think the SHU staff made all the right moves and I have a good feeling.

Whatever happens, this kid doesn’t seem the type to be bought and he’ll choose what’s best for him in the long run. Makes me think he’s the type that’s made for embodying “culture” at a basketball program.

There isn’t a “ one size fits all “ in college basketball recruiting as to what each individual looks for when he’s making his choice of colleges. Seton Hall has certain strengths that will be attractive enough to have quality players take a look and a visit and give us legitimate consideration . Whether it’s enough to garner a commitment only time will tell.

Reactions: deheremike
There isn’t a “ one size fits all “ in college basketball recruiting as to what each individual looks for when he’s making his choice of colleges. Seton Hall has certain strengths that will be attractive enough to have quality players take a look and a visit and give us legitimate consideration . Whether it’s enough to garner a commitment only time will tell.

This is true of the general student population as well. The only two colleges I seriously considered were Seton Hall and Syracuse. I had long had ideas of going to Syracuse because of the Newhouse School of Broadcasting.

In the end, I toured both schools and made the decision that Seton Hall was the better place for me and my family as well based on a variety of factors.

Not every kid is hard wired to go to the blue bloods, some would rather be the guy who helps put School X on the map. Some will prefer the smaller campus or the urban campus, others will be more comfortable at the state school with 40,000 undergrads where they're the only game in town.

Timberlake is clearly good enough to have his pick of schools and earn generous playing time anywhere he goes. He also, from what I've read, seems bright enough and has a good enough support system to make whatever decision best suits him after considering all of the factors he thinks are important.

Is Miami out of picture?
With Timberlake it's impossible to tell as he and his family are keeping their thoughts very close to the vest. That's why no recruiting sites that I am aware of have made any predictions to date. But I believe that at this point NC and SHU are neck and neck with Providence close behind.

Reactions: SonofJoeSeton49
The UNC fanbase doesn't seem overly concerned about Timberlake. They've got other big fish they're more concerned with. Timberlake would be risking a lot to go there. With such a decadent abundance of talent at UNC, even a 5 star player could end up being an after thought or being recruited over.

As I noted earlier in this thread, UNC is recruiting Zaire Williams who is a top 5 player on the wing from California. I believe he just took an official visit this weekend. Additionally they're recruiting the #1 player Cade Cunningham, who is listed as a wing but he's really a point forward like Ben Simmons.

Timberlake IMO is a back-up for UNC. Hopefully this bodes well for Seton Hall.

Reactions: SonofJoeSeton49
And why should they be concerned? In their world they pretty much get the pick of the litter, and in that litter, Timberlake is the runt. To us he's the stud. I hope he realizes the difference.

Reactions: deheremike
Zhaire Williams is a SF while Timberlake is a 2G, especially if he ever hopes to play in the NBA. It's also why Seton Hall wants Moncrieffe-Alexander as well as Timberlake.

Z Williams can play both 2 and 3. His NBA position will be the 2.

Besides, unless it is point guard, the 2 and the 3 are interchangeable and no recruits are choosing a school because someone offered them the 2 over the 3. Basketball has evolved from set positions. Recruits wants to hear that they're going to be playing "positionless" basketball.

Your post below infers that all kids who create packages for themselves or are subject to a certain “price” are bad for a teams “culture” or bad kids generally? You’re not serious with that right?
Wait, what? Are you saying that since I laud Earl Timberlake’s maturity and self awareness suggests that I’m belittling other kids? Wow. Ok.

Good response on that one.

Somehow I find the cosmic vibrations are emanating and it needs a great P-word.

You know, like Panglossian, or Perambulator, or Pontification, or Pant-load, or something, some great word.

It eludes me, forsooth!

Took your post as suggesting that kids who arrange for package deals or can be “bought” aren’t good for our programs culture. The irony in that .. well you can see why I thought it was odd. Now that I see you are focusing only on Timberlake seeming to be a grounded and mature kid, I agree.

Wait, what? Are you saying that since I laud Earl Timberlake’s maturity and self awareness suggests that I’m belittling other kids? Wow. Ok.

Good response on that one.

Somehow I find the cosmic vibrations are emanating and it needs a great P-word.

You know, like Panglossian, or Perambulator, or Pontification, or Pant-load, or something, some great word.

It eludes me, forsooth!
So funny! No one else I know could post forsooth on a basketball board and get away with it and I love it!!

Last edited:
Took your post as suggesting that kids who arrange for package deals or can be “bought” aren’t good for our programs culture. The irony in that .. well you can see why I thought it was odd. Now that I see you are focusing only on Timberlake seeming to be a grounded and mature kid, I agree.
I’m really not saying anything about the package deals. I haven’t held any opinion at all with regard to that (especially on these forums) because I know it happens all the time in a lot of schools.

Timberlake knows what he wants and no matter where he goes, by all accounts he’s a quality kid and a star player. He would be a really nice transition into next year not just because of the cache he brings, but also the quiet way and conviction he seems to go about things.

Reactions: Section112
He got pissed that NC was looking elsewhere and he was their backup choice.

SHU and Providence sitting pretty at the moment.

The good news is there were rumors if he canceled NC he might schedule elsewhere. If this tweet is accurate, and Evans is top notch, that bodes well for the Hall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT