ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Holtmann fired

hbkmyr

All World
Gold Member
Dec 29, 2009
Surprised I thought he'd do well at Ohio State. Rumors are they will take a run at McDermott.

Holtmann did a great job with Butler. A real head scratcher why it didn’t translate to Ohio St.

wonder if McDermott May bite this time around.

Reactions: Section112
Cronin doesn’t seem too happy at UCLA.

McDermott declined them once a few years ago. I wonder if either of the BE names jump. Miller going to do it to Xavier again?

Reactions: silkcitypirate
McDermott was their first choice last time too, but he turned them down so the hired Holtmann. I would imagine with NIL now in play Creighton is in an even stronger position this time around. A BigEast coach told me at the time Creighton has best NIL in the BigEast and can compete with SEC money.

Hope Sean miller stays at X. Been brutal for them this year with injuries, but he’s got them on the path back to where they were with Mack.

Reactions: SOBO1
I've liked Holtmann since his Butler days. Realize things didn't pan out at Ohio State, esp. this year, but firing him on Feb. 13 is classless for a guy who has been there seven years. Just me.

Reactions: LBP43
Sean Miller should bolt this afternoon. He belongs at OSU.

McDermott seems like he would stay but they can afford stupid money for him.

I've liked Holtmann since his Butler days. Realize things didn't pan out at Ohio State, esp. this year, but firing him on Feb. 13 is classless for a guy who has been there seven years. Just me.
You never what goes on behind the scenes with these things. Maybe both sides agreed it was better to get it over with earlier in order to get a head start on their next moves.

Reactions: MBF72
McDermott has some issues with the Creighton AD I believe. Definitely think he could be on the move.

Reactions: SHUSA
Sean Miller should bolt this afternoon. He belongs at OSU.

McDermott seems like he would stay but they can afford stupid money for him.
McDermott's salary I saw was 1.4 mil or so. That could be old. Seems low. Stupid money just might do it.

Last edited:
Maybe McDermott is smart enough to realize that leaving Big East jobs does not tend to work out well. Holtman fired, Mack fired, Willard already on hot seat. He has a good thing going at Creighton including a reasonable fan base......

Reactions: LBP43
If McDermott is considering leaving it would be after this season. All his program mainstays will be gone too.

Reactions: shu09
Miller to Ohio State just sounds like a fit

Not sure that giving up Creighton is worth it for Ohio State… Kentucky, duke, UNC, Kansas, maybe a different story. McDermott should stay clear of this

i thought he did well his first 2 years. absolutely have to jump to a football school or risk being left out. i could see a few more spots opening and a few BE coaches bolting.

With the B1G and SEC planning to be the top conferences in college basketball I wonder if Hurley would be interested if an offer comes his way to go to a program like Ohio State.

• Haha
Reactions: silkcitypirate
Creighton is a better job and football is first at OSU.
Yea I think OSU is a tough sell basketball wise. I could see Miller jumping, but not McDermott.

The comment made about DePaul going for Holtmann is interesting - they should strongly consider that.

How much over market does DP have to pay to get a name like him?

I'd be very surprised if he lands there.
Probably wouldn’t be Holtmann’s first choice, but it would be criminal for DePaul not to throw everything they have at him.

Proven Head coach, still young, strong midwestern recruiting ties, familiar with the Big East… they’re not going to find a better candidate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT