ADVERTISEMENT

Hall - Rutgers likely on hold

You could flip it around and say the same thing. The game is clearly not worth the aggravation within the coach’s offices of the two programs, and that makes sense. If they don’t play, I think we’ll all be able to deal with it and move on.
isnt it common for in state rivalries not to play these games for this exact reason?

No idea if this comes into play, but Pike likes a weak OOC and given the 20 game BT sched can get away with it. People whined abut Boeheims OOC for years. But the selection committee didnt care much.

Also, given the size of the rac, it can sell out of they play nobodies.

No idea if this comes into play, but Pike likes a weak OOC and given the 20 game BT sched can get away with it. People whined abut Boeheims OOC for years. But the selection committee didnt care much.

Also, given the size of the rac, it can sell out of they play nobodies.
Once they left the A10 (huge mistake by RU there) they’ve always played an incredibly weak OOC in an effort to pad their win totals. The only time they sell out for anything is when the road team’s fans pack their place. For a large state school their venues are incredibly small and rarely filled.

This game is what it is, rivalry game between two geographically close schools.

It does get some extra play in local media, assume draws more income for each school then most other OCC games and a lot of fans from both school seem to enjoy it based on attendance numbers, even when one or both schools were bad.

I personally have enjoyed it (especially when we win), but never been a huge fan. If we can replace game with another P5 conference game (or another top team from slightly lesser conference) then let it go away. With both the 20 BE and B10 schedules, preseason tourneys, conference challenges, lot of places to find quality games and not a lot of open schedule spots / dates. What I don't want to see, and assume most Rutgers fans do not want to see either, is game replaced with a game against FDU, Rider, etc..

Reactions: afghan whigs
I’ll add

Um, if RU really needed the Seton Hall game wouldn't they just do whatever Seton Hall wanted and play the games?
Neither team needs its. Ru and seton hall consistently have excellent overall SOS. If anyone on either side suggests otherwise they are showing bias or trolling.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
Once they left the A10 (huge mistake by RU there) they’ve always played an incredibly weak OOC in an effort to pad their win totals. The only time they sell out for anything is when the road team’s fans pack their place. For a large state school their venues are incredibly small and rarely filled.
Really, they moved to Big East, then onto the Big 10, please explain how leaving A10 was a mistake? Countless reasons why it was the right move, not sure can think of a real reason why it was a mistake?

Really, they moved to Big East, then onto the Big 10, please explain how leaving A10 was a mistake? Countless reasons why it was the right move, not sure can think of a real reason why it was a mistake?
Don’t take the bait.

Reactions: sami
You could flip it around and say the same thing. The game is clearly not worth the aggravation within the coach’s offices of the two programs, and that makes sense. If they don’t play, I think we’ll all be able to deal with it and move on.
Kind of agree with you.

Let's check out the recent OOC schedules, LOL:

2020-21 = Seton Hall 44, Rutgers 294
2019-20 = Seton Hall 41, Rutgers 309
2018-19 = Seton Hall 68, Rutgers 303
Look at overall SOS. Piekel is afraid to schedule a difficult OOC schedule but the overall strength of schedule is very good due to 20+ BigTen games.

They had more success playing their peers in the A10 then they ever did since they moved up to the big boy table in the Big East and Big 10. They may have more money now, though a full share seems to continue to get pushed back because they keep borrowing against it. Even though they may have more money now, their conference mates still have multiple times more than they do. Their conference mates also continue to have much better facilities as well. Rutgers will never be ahead of where they are now. At some point won’t they want to win? Are they happy going to the NCAA’s once every 30 years? Maybe they are.

Reactions: Bluebeard and CL82
Once they left the A10 (huge mistake by RU there)
Hahaha... no. They left the A-10, got exposure as a part of the OBE, and leveraged that to B1G bid. I think, financially at least, they've done pretty well for themselves.

And I say that as a UConn fan. If they'd have stayed in the A-10, UConn most likely gets that B1G slot and our athletic department is set financially. As a fan, I'd rather be in the BE, and I enjoyed this past year quite a bit, but as an alumnus, $55.6M a year, would give me a whole lot of comfort as the viability of our sports programs.

Reactions: SHUHitman
Was actually talking about this with a friend yesterday.

My thought is take this year off and pick things up in 2022 with Seton Hall at home and simply extend the current contract by two years.

If that's not agreeable or acceptable, call it a day. While I enjoy the game, I'd be just as happy for Kevin to find a quality opponent to fill the void on the schedule.

They had more success playing their peers in the A10 then they ever did since they moved up to the big boy table in the Big East and Big 10. They may have more money now, though a full share seems to continue to get pushed back because they keep borrowing against it. Even though they may have more money now, their conference mates still have multiple times more than they do. Their conference mates also continue to have much better facilities as well. Rutgers will never be ahead of where they are now. At some point won’t they want to win? Are they happy going to the NCAA’s once every 30 years? Maybe they are.
Really? For this year:

- 3 NCAA wrestling all americans
- NCAA bid and win for men’s hoops
- NCAA bid for women’s hoops
- NCAA bid and win for Women’s Lacrosse
- NCAA bid and win for Men’s Lacrosse
- NCAA bid and win for Women’s Soccer
- NCAA bid for Field Hockey
- NCAA bid for Women’s Crew

I’ll wait while you list the Seton Hall accomplishments this year.

BTW, the above was all done on the BIG, which is head and shoulders above the BE in all sports accept Men’s Hoops. Clearly, I think RU athletics is doing just fine.

Really? For this year:

BTW, the above was all done on the BIG, which is head and shoulders above the BE in all sports accept Men’s Hoops. Clearly, I think RU athletics is doing just fine.
Wasted tax $$$$$

Wasted tax $$$$$

Well, considering RU is a state school pulling in tens of millions more in conference revenue, those are the results they should be getting, right down to women’s crew. SHU only allocates its $$$ towards a handful of sports, some do well and some don’t (and should do better). But otherwise, so what?

Really? For this year:

6 sports that nobody even knows exist. Congrats on that.

List your football record the last 10 years lol.

It also doesn’t help that the RAC is a smaller venue. Rutgers fans can easily get their hands on tickets in the Prudential center because we have more space. Last year I had to pay an insane amount of money to basically sit in some bleachers. That arena needs an upgrade.
Worst arena I’ve ever been to
Look at overall SOS. Piekel is afraid to schedule a difficult OOC schedule but the overall strength of schedule is very good due to 20+ BigTen games.
big 39 overrated

It’s laughable to watch some of their fan base still clinging to the “B1G is the best basketball conference in America” narrative after the entire conference was exposed as a fraud this past tournament. It’s the same story every March, a bunch of mediocre teams who are overrated by the national media and flame out in the first weekend.

As for Rutgers specifically, we don’t need them on the schedule. They barely backed their way into the tournament last year, needing to squeeze by hapless Minnesota in their final regular season game just to secure a bid, got a favorable draw and then pulled one of the worst choke jobs in recent history. If they lose Baker/Harper or both they may not even be a qaud 1 team at the start of the season.

Yes the rivalry is great and it would suck to have it end on a Rutgers win but logistically a Rutgers game doesn’t bring a whole lot to the table. Go out and find a better P5 team as a replacement. No need to bend the knee to an inferior program.

Last edited:
Hahaha... no. They left the A-10, got exposure as a part of the OBE, and leveraged that to B1G bid. I think, financially at least, they've done pretty well for themselves.

And I say that as a UConn fan. If they'd have stayed in the A-10, UConn most likely gets that B1G slot and our athletic department is set financially. As a fan, I'd rather be in the BE, and I enjoyed this past year quite a bit, but as an alumnus, $55.6M a year, would give me a whole lot of comfort as the viability of our sports programs.
Ur delusional. No way Uconn ends up anywhere than where they are. The lucky recipient of a lifeline from the NBE.

The way my family and I were treated at the RAC last game was very distasteful. As I left the arena I said to Pat Lyons that SH should never return to the RAC. I hope KW feels the same way. BTW with 20 game conference schedule We will be playing conference games in December

Let's check out the recent OOC schedules, LOL:

2020-21 = Seton Hall 44, Rutgers 294
2019-20 = Seton Hall 41, Rutgers 309
2018-19 = Seton Hall 68, Rutgers 303
That ignores fact we play 20 Big 10 Games
We can afford to play a weak out of conference schedule because we play in a real league

• Haha
Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
That ignores fact we play 20 Big 10 Games
We can afford to play a weak out of conference schedule because we play in a real league

How many power conferences are playing 20 games now? Aside from it being several, the Big 10 having the unbalanced schedule makes it kind of misleading. It’s not like Rutgers is playing Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Wisconsin home and away every year to hit their 20.

If Caldwell or Kean have open dates, Pikiell would rather pass on SHU. I hope we don’t play them, it will save a lot of needless worry.
Now that's the in state rivalry RU covets and 9 out of 10 of those games will be played at the RAC. It would bolster their OOC schedule won loss record, which is primarily played at the RAC anyway. Yawn.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT