ADVERTISEMENT

Hall - Rutgers likely on hold

I hope we don’t play them, but if we do, it will definitely be at the Rock. So that Pat Hobbs can save face, they will announce that Seton Hall has agreed to open the upper sections to accommodate the Rutgers fans who want to attend.
Only if the curtains remain down! We owe them absolutely nothing!

We can easily replace that game with a much better opponent.

You won’t match the crowd RU provides
It is ok to hate your rival but neither side can deny the juice the game provides

By the way google 2020-2021 College
Basketball Strentgh of Schedule
RU is 7th
SHU is 36
So even if RU plays a soft OOC Schedule
Their overall schedule is much better than SHU

RU is 7th
SHU is 36

Why do you have to come here and act like such a clown?

First of all, we had Baylor on our schedule and that game was cancelled. I would fathom a guess that, if that game had been played and factored in there, our SOS would be materially higher than 36.

Second of all, you're really going to cherry pick the COVID year to talk about your overall schedule being better? You neglected to mention the previous DECADE where Seton Hall is consistently, year after year, ahead of Rutgers in SOS department - some years by significant margins.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
RU is 7th
SHU is 36
You’re a sad dude. We live in ur head rent free. U spend more time here (opponent’s fan site) than a rational person would

First of all, we had Baylor on our schedule and that game was cancelled. I would fathom a guess that, if that game had been played and factored in there, our SOS would be materially higher than 36.

Second of all, you're really going to cherry pick the COVID year to talk about your overall schedule being better? You neglected to mention the previous DECADE where Seton Hall is consistently, year after year, ahead of Rutgers in SOS department - some years by significant margins.

I am not trying to do anything but state the facts. We are living in the present. The discussion was RU currently plays a weak out of conference schedule . My point is our overall strength of schedule is so good , we don’t need
to play a lot of tough teams out of conference
I just respond to posts that aren’t factual but based on hating an arch rival

• Haha
I am not trying to do anything but state the facts. We are living in the present. The discussion was RU currently plays a weak out of conference schedule . My point is our overall strength of schedule is so good , we don’t need
Ur a toad. And u know it.

Last edited:

FWIW...I believe Rutgers also had Baylor scheduled and cancelled.

You’re a sad dude. We live in ur head rent free. U spend more time here (opponent’s fan site) than a rational person would
And yet here you are on the Seton Hall site! So, who’s living in who’s head rent free!? The Seton Hall game is your national championship, you know it and we know you know it. We get it, you want to beat big brother and are disappointed that we no longer what to humor you.

And yet here you are on the Seton Hall site! So, who’s living in who’s head rent free!? The Seton Hall game is your national championship, you know it and we know you know it. We get it, you want to beat big brother and are disappointed that we no longer what to humor you.
...you know you replied to a SHU fan, right?

• Haha
Reactions: sami

As I understand it you've got Lehigh, UMass and Merrimack scheduled for next year plus an ACC opponent to be named.

Michigan State annually plays in the Champions Classic and went to Duke and had a game at Virginia cancelled last year. Illinois played Baylor and Duke last year. Iowa played UNC and Gonzaga. I could go on but you don't really care anyway.

We've got a URI, Penn State, two of Florida, California and Ohio State, Iona (on a neutral floor) and a Big 12 opponent to be named.

You don't have to do anything OOC and you don't. Pike wasn't at RU when the GSHC was introduced and I think he wants nothing to do with it. He simply wants to pad the win total before he plays teams that create his SOS.

As I understand it you've got Lehigh, UMass and Merrimack scheduled for next year plus an ACC opponent to be named.

Michigan State annually plays in the Champions Classic and went to Duke and had a game at Virginia cancelled last year. Illinois played Baylor and Duke last year. Iowa played UNC and Gonzaga. I could go on but you don't really care anyway.

We've got a URI, Penn State, two of Florida, California and Ohio State, Iona (on a neutral floor) and a Big 12 opponent to be named.

You don't have to do anything OOC and you don't. Pike wasn't at RU when the GSHC was introduced and I think he wants nothing to do with it. He simply wants to pad the win total before he plays teams that create his SOS.

He certainly wants nothing to do with road games in the GSHC. He admit back in November that he was making no effort to get last year's game scheduled.

It was meant for that hbr guy. It didn’t pick up the quote the way I thought it would.
At most segments of two fan bases care about this game. And maybe a reporter or two that covers the game. That’s it.

serious question because I don’t recall the answer - do we not open the upper deck/level for the Rutgers game and if not, why not? If it means more fans, that’s more revenue. And a better atmosphere. St John’s has games at the Garden where Uconn, Nova, Cuse, Gtown and even he on occasion have a number of fans. As long as our program draws a decent amount - and we would now - what’s the big deal with RU fans in the upper deck?

At most segments of two fan bases care about this game. And maybe a reporter or two that covers the game. That’s it.

serious question because I don’t recall the answer - do we not open the upper deck/level for the Rutgers game and if not, why not? If it means more fans, that’s more revenue. And a better atmosphere. St John’s has games at the Garden where Uconn, Nova, Cuse, Gtown and even he on occasion have a number of fans. As long as our program draws a decent amount - and we would now - what’s the big deal with RU fans in the upper deck?

I think the answer is gamesmanship? They’re the big, bad state school with a smaller building that takes steps to keep SHU fans out or relegate them to the top rows where you sit in a plastic seat with no back to it.

I think the answer is gamesmanship? They’re the big, bad state school with a smaller building that takes steps to keep SHU fans out or relegate them to the top rows where you sit in a plastic seat with no back to it.
That plus we've probably only had 1 game against them so far that sold out the lower bowl early enough to be worth considering.

Ur replying to the wrong poster

RU is 7th
SHU is 36
But this scheduling ranking is incredibly flawed as proven by the Big 10’s embarrassing performance in the tournament. The entire world of basketball experts said as much at the completion of the season.

The miscalculations of the pre season rankings done by KenPom and other algorithms did the basketball world a disservice this past season but it’ll get a pass with the pandemic.

There was no basis to make the claim of putting so many Big 10 in the high rankings—especially since the Big 10’s out of conference record and quality wins were on par with the MAAC.

Feel free to look at my myriad of posts regarding the Big 10’s sad out of conference record for references.

Never thought it would happen, but I am filing in the wgas bin.
I'm not there yet, but I guess I don't care quite as much as I thought I would.

To be sure, I still care, and I absolutely savor it when we beat them. I guess it lost a little flavor when they were so bad during the Eddie Jordan years and in the aftermath. We curb-stomped them, and it was like, "Yeah, but we ought to."

They're a fine program now and beating them is a pretty good win, which ought to heighten the urgency to play this one, but not if it means rolling over and forsaking principle. I think that last point is what's driving my feeling that it's OK if we let it go.

Rutgers is 24-21 against the spread over the last four years.
Ok, that is the second serious retort to my comment, so now I have to respond. First of all, it was trash talk, I have no clue historically what their ATS is. Second, and more importantly, are you really proud of winning against the spread over the last 4 years when you are almost always a significant underdog in each of those games? Is that where your program is at?

That makes more sense. Pike doesn't want to be obligated to this game every year because it ruins his recipe of baking cupcakes all OOC Season

Then sneaking in the tournament with a few overrated conference wins

Pike Special

Last edited:

We had upper deck open in 2018-19 home game. I remember because @shupat08 and I along with the rest of our group chanting “78-0” to reply to the RU fans taunting us from the section above. I think that was first time we had enough ticket sales to open the upper level for that game in years. Last one might have been the infamous “11th commandment” game choke job in 2012.

One other part not mentioned in this thread yet that I just thought of. Yes Pike wants nothing to do with this game, and the reason why for years it was the most anticipated game on both sides is that 7 years in, who is RU’s Big Ten rivals? Maybe Penn State and Maryland but those apply more in football. Since RU is the new kid in the BIG which has decades of established rivalries, RU has no true rivals in their own conference. We have Nova, and now we have UConn too. Games like RU-Illinois just don’t have rivalry juice. Yes there’s fans going now since the team is good, but the biggest reason that SHU is still RU’s biggest rival is that they really don’t have intra league rivals yet. There’s not enough history aside from Penn state and neither one was a basketball powerhouse or even decent until the past few years. RU-SHU has decades of juice but this gamesmanship and hurt feelings on both sides and now better options available, This stuff isn’t worth it for either side anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: shupat08
We had upper deck open in 2018-19 home game. I remember because @shupat08 and I along with the rest of our group chanting “78-0” to reply to the RU fans taunting us from the section above. I think that was first time we had enough ticket sales to open the upper level for that game in years. Last one might have been the infamous “11th commandment” game choke job in 2012.

One other part not mentioned in this thread yet that I just thought of. Yes Pike wants nothing to do with this game, and the reason why for years it was the most anticipated game on both sides is that 7 years in, who is RU’s Big Ten rivals? Maybe Penn State and Maryland but those apply more in football. Since RU is the new kid in the BIG which has decades of established rivalries, RU has no true rivals in their own conference. We have Nova, and now we have UConn too. Games like RU-Illinois just don’t have rivalry juice. Yes there’s fans going now since the team is good, but the biggest reason that SHU is still RU’s biggest rival is that they really don’t have intra league rivals yet. There’s not enough history aside from Penn state and neither one was a basketball powerhouse or even decent until the past few years. RU-SHU has decades of juice but this gamesmanship and hurt feelings on both sides and now better options available, This stuff isn’t worth it for either side anymore.
True. I don’t even know who RU’s basketball rival might be. With us you have the long-standing Nova, St John’s, Uconn Gtown

Reactions: SHUMA04 and CL82

I agree we don’t need this game as much anymore but I think Pike desperately wants it. If you think it about 2 of his most signature wins in 5 years at ru came against us (2017, 2019). The 2017 game was a bit of a fluke but that 2019 win springboarded them to a likely tournament berth. I was there in 2019 and the only comparison I have from personal experience to the atmosphere that day was the rangers game clinching a cup berth in 2014. Had they been playing just another lukewarm big10 game they don’t get that spark that lit the flame for the rest of their season.

As much as their fans love to belittle us there’s no denying that the rivalry has produced some of rutgers athletics most high intensity moments in recent history. Pike and the school do not want to lose that.

I agree we don’t need this game as much anymore but I think Pike desperately wants it. If you think it about 2 of his most signature wins in 5 years at ru came against us (2017, 2019). The 2017 game was a bit of a fluke but that 2019 win springboarded them to a likely tournament berth. I was there in 2019 and the only comparison I have from personal experience to the atmosphere that day was the rangers game clinching a cup berth in 2014. Had they been playing just another lukewarm big10 game they don’t get that spark that lit the flame for the rest of their season.

As much as their fans love to belittle us there’s no denying that the rivalry has produced some of rutgers athletics most high intensity moments in recent history. Pike and the school do not want to lose that.

I’m not too sure about that. He has no desire to play it with 2 Big 10 games within a week plus up to two of the conference challenge games. For both schools, it’s kind of the same deal.... with the 2 mid-December league games and the challenge games, it’s sort of schedule overkill.

If I recall correctly prior to 2019-20, we had only opened upstairs for the last visit by Syracuse before they left for the ACC and the two or three previous Villanova home games.

According to the game recap from SHUPirates.com, the game was a sellout at 10,481 so that indicates only the lower bowl was open.

Ok, that is the second serious retort to my comment, so now I have to respond. First of all, it was trash talk, I have no clue historically what their ATS is. Second, and more importantly, are you really proud of winning against the spread over the last 4 years when you are almost always a significant underdog in each of those games? Is that where your program is at?
Right? You'd think they'd figure out you were joking just from the suggestion that you could get decent odds on opponent -33 lol

If I recall correctly prior to 2019-20, we had only opened upstairs for the last visit by Syracuse before they left for the ACC and the two or three previous Villanova home games.

According to the game recap from SHUPirates.com, the game was a sellout at 10,481 so that indicates only the lower bowl was open.

Nope there we re definitely RU frat bro lax bro snowflakes who wanted to come into the lower bowl to fight me over me telling them their football team lost 78-0. Lol. It was hilarious.

I don’t think either coach wants to play this series. The ADs do, but I bet both coaches want no part of it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT