ADVERTISEMENT

Hall - Rutgers likely on hold

I don’t think either coach wants to play this series. The ADs do, but I bet both coaches want no part of it.
I think there's likely some accuracy to this. Just looking back at what both coaches said back in November:

Pike: "I look forward to playing them next year at the RAC." - Pretty clear indiciation that he wasn't making much effort to play in 2020 at the Rock.

Willard: "Holding a slot for Rutgers and hopes to play in January or February." - I'd bet Kevin Willard had a pretty good idea that a mutual open date materializing in Jan or Feb was unlikely. Also probably aware that Pike would have little interest in throwing a SHU game into the middle of their Big 10 schedule.

I don’t think either coach wants to play this series. The ADs do, but I bet both coaches want no part of it.
There’s definitely some truth to this, especially on Pike’s end. Willard is probably thinking take it or leave it and is just tired of it after being asked about it for 11 years, can’t say I blame him. It’s a novelty that I’m ok with taking a break from for a few years. It’s nice to have but neither program “needs” it anymore.

Reactions: afghan whigs
There’s definitely some truth to this, especially on Pike’s end. Willard is probably thinking take it or leave it and is just tired of it after being asked about it for 11 years, can’t say I blame him. It’s a novelty that I’m ok with taking a break from for a few years. It’s nice to have but neither program “needs” it anymore.

Seton Hall needs it for the gate . RU makes so much money in Big 10, the revenue generated is meaningless . I want the game played because it is an intense rivalry and good for NJ Basketball

• Haha
Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Seton Hall needs it for the gate . RU makes so much money in Big 10, the revenue generated is meaningless . I want the game played because it is an intense rivalry and good for NJ Basketball

Again, this is way overstated. A Saturday afternoon game is going to draw a crowd. Maybe not 10,000, but 7,500 or more. Sure, SHU would love the extra 2,000 in the building, but saying “they need it” is just a bit extreme.

Again, this is way overstated. A Saturday afternoon game is going to draw a crowd. Maybe not 10,000, but 7,500 or more. Sure, SHU would love the extra 2,000 in the building, but saying “they need it” is just a bit extreme.

The fans of NJ need it
I can see both sides
Why not play home and home next year
We use to play twice in Big East

Ok, that is the second serious retort to my comment, so now I have to respond. First of all, it was trash talk, I have no clue historically what their ATS is. Second, and more importantly, are you really proud of winning against the spread over the last 4 years when you are almost always a significant underdog in each of those games? Is that where your program is at?
Maybe make your trash talk somewhat tethered to reality.

5 pages in and still no valid SHU explanation for not playing a home game vs RU.....if there is a legitimate reason or explanation, I would like to hear it....it's been 6+ months and nothing but crickets.....

5 pages in and still no valid SHU explanation for not playing a home game vs RU.....if there is a legitimate reason or explanation, I would like to hear it....it's been 6+ months and nothing but crickets.....

Not only has it been explained, I don’t think it would have been a big deal at all if it had been Rutgers turn to host and there was no game.

People really need to put their minds back into the place we were at in early December. We were all operating on a day to day basis in our own lives, and in college hoops, teams were shutting down and games were being cancelled on a moment’s notice.... no one was ducking anyone. It was just a complete logistical cluster—. Ask yourself... if it were Rutgers turn to host, would you have honestly wanted to play in front of zero people at the RAC? I don’t think people would have blamed you for saying no.

They couldn't agree on a date, it's as simple as that. RU offered one possible makeup date that SHU declined for a better offer, then Pike threw his "we'll see them next year at the RAC" hissy fit rather than work on a new date. RU fans keep complaining about SHU traveling to Rhode Island and Oregon while completely ignoring the fact that RU wasn't interested in playing them on either of those dates.

The games doesn't mean much to me. Msu. Wich st, Maryland, they were awesome. Ru more like a decent league game, but it means nothing.

20 league games. A tourney. An interconference challenge, I prefer us bringing in a different team each year rather than rutgers being a constant part of the schedule, keep the home game we lose every other year. I have always thought this could be a great rivalry if we both we got good. Now we are, and I am ready to say adios.

So for me, home or away, I'll pass. I'll be at our home game if we play, but I am ready to listen to the great man who said you go your way I'll go mine. (Sometimes it gets so hard to care, cant be that way everywhere)

As a fan who travels to many sites each year with family last time at RAC we were treated very poorly. I raised my concerns about this to AD at the game. Everywhere else we go we have a great time. SHU should never return to to RU as far as I am concerned. It was more than few fans. The calendar going forward with 20 conference games does not have that December opening on both sides. Let it go Hawk.

They couldn't agree on a date, it's as simple as that. RU offered one possible makeup date that SHU declined for a better offer, then Pike threw his "we'll see them next year at the RAC" hissy fit rather than work on a new date. RU fans keep complaining about SHU traveling to Rhode Island and Oregon while completely ignoring the fact that RU wasn't interested in playing them on either of those dates.
Agree on a date?? LMAO, it's hard to agree on a date when you never called to set one....

It was never a "date issue", RU had dates open for days at a time early in the season, but if that's the story, I guess that's what we will go with....the 3 games in 5 day road trip, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday, always take precedent over a home game???

It's all good man, don't get too bent outta shape, RU will survive with another opponent not named SHU. See you in the NCAAs.....

Agree on a date?? LMAO, it's hard to agree on a date when you never called to set one....

It was never a "date issue", RU had dates open for days at a time early in the season, but if that's the story, I guess that's what we will go with....the 3 games in 5 day road trip, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday, always take precedent over a home game???

It's all good man, don't get too bent outta shape, RU will survive with another opponent not named SHU. See you in the NCAAs.....

Yup, RU had open dates for days at a time. You know why? They didn't want to play. Or are you gonna claim every other team in the country was ducking them too? If Pike wanted to play, against us or anyone else, he would have. Everyone else got last minute games scheduled without a problem. He also made it very clear that he was no longer interested in talking to SHU after not getting the December 6th date.

Nope there we re definitely RU frat bro lax bro snowflakes who wanted to come into the lower bowl to fight me over me telling them their football team lost 78-0. Lol. It was hilarious.

That all may be true but the Athletic Department website says that prior to 2019-20, the upper bowl had never been opened more than once in a season.

In 2018-19, that game was the Villanova game in March on Senior Day.

Reactions: shupat08
Ask yourself... if it were Rutgers turn to host, would you have honestly wanted to play in front of zero people at the RAC? I don’t think people would have blamed you for saying no.
Technically, they’re used to playing in front of nobody. They really don’t have many fans.

Simple. Global pandemic. 8 year contract. Both teams will host 4 games at home over 9 years rather than 8. If not acceptable, series over. It would be too bad but both teams will be fine.

Reactions: SHUMA04 and HallB
That all may be true but the Athletic Department website says that prior to 2019-20, the upper bowl had never been opened more than once in a season.

In 2018-19, that game was the Villanova game in March on Senior Day.

Maybe fully opened? This could have just been upper deck end zones.

Reactions: Seton75
Maybe fully opened? This could have just been upper deck end zones.

Now that I think about it after reading that recap and looking at photos where the curtain was down, the obnoxious RU folks yelling at us may have been in that skybox bar area upstairs from us, not in the seats above. @TheHall87 is right that 10,481 is the magic number for downstairs sellout, so it looks like Mandela effect got our story, but the 78-0 chants from our section were still hilarious.

Wrong
Seton Hall glory days are gone
We are in Big 10 getting 50 Million Per Year
We need it LOL

I can't wait to see what cupcakes Pickles is playing this year at the Dump in Piscataway. I always get a nice 10 second laugh when I just see low majors at the RAC until B1G season starts.

I guess he doesn't want to use that 50 mill for travel money to complete some non con road games? Or is it the fact that he's a coward?

Wrong
Seton Hall glory days are gone
We are in Big 10 getting 50 Million Per Year
We need it LOL
I dont get you, you say things complimenting our program most of the time, now we suck? I don't rip on your Knights either

I dont get you, you say things complimenting our program most of the time, now we suck? I don't rip on your Knights either

He's a troll. Just like Hawk and Hinson. Although Hinson is atleast pretty good at hiding it. Hawk is pretty blatant now-a-days.

I don't get how most in this board "don't get" it... The ignore button is your friend. Instead we let LRSH trolls highjack threads and slam our program on our board.

I generally like hinson and hawk. Sometimes they bother me. But not as often as some of our fans bother me. And it is ok to bother people. It is ok to be positive and ok to be negative.

Whining about posters bothers me more than a crummy post. And tough luck for me if that bother me. Hope that's my biggest problem.

Check out Rivals 2022 Football Rankings if you don’t believe me
Schiano will make us a perennial top 25 bowl team like he did before
Giving the pitiful distribution your conference pays , maybe we should just play game at Prudential Center . We don’t want you to lose any more coaches
In what bowl? Last time I checked there’s a bowl for anyone breathing!

Here's the bottom line.

The game was tentatively scheduled for Dec 6 with no formal agreement. Before the verbal agreement could be solidified SHU received a better offer from Penn State. A H/H with the first game to be played at Penn State Dec 6 with no fans and the return date this coming season with fans.

I have absolutely no issue with what SHU did. But they should have communicated better with RU to make them aware of the Penn State agreement. That's where the hard feelings between the two schools began. The nonsense of SHU fearing to play Rutgers is just that, nonsense.

This could have all been settled amicably if SHU reached out sooner to Rutgers to make them aware of the Penn State deal.

I am fine with not playing it at all. When RU teams were atrocious the Hall game was like their National Championship. That is why they want and need the Hall game. They are concerned that they will be awful again soon and will need this game.
This game always has been and always will be Rutgers national championship game. That will never change. This game does absolutely nothing for Seton Hall. Time to move on.

Reactions: HallPirate
Here's the bottom line.

The game was tentatively scheduled for Dec 6 with no formal agreement. Before the verbal agreement could be solidified SHU received a better offer from Penn State. A H/H with the first game to be played at Penn State Dec 6 with no fans and the return date this coming season with fans.

I have absolutely no issue with what SHU did. But they should have communicated better with RU to make them aware of the Penn State agreement. That's where the hard feelings between the two schools began. The nonsense of SHU fearing to play Rutgers is just that, nonsense.

This could have all been settled amicably if SHU reached out sooner to Rutgers to make them aware of the Penn State deal.
Rutgers should not be surprised that Seton Hall could find a better opponent than Rutgers!

Here’s an explanation, Seton Hall doesn’t need the Rutgers game. We can get a much better game to replace it. It’s not like Seton Hall is turning down the opportunity to play UNC or Kansas here. Rutgers is more in the FDU and Rider realm.

Again, Rutgers needs the game, Seton Hall never has.

Here’s an explanation, Seton Hall doesn’t need the Rutgers game. We can get a much better game to replace it. It’s not like Seton Hall is turning down the opportunity to play UNC or Kansas here. Rutgers is more in the FDU and Rider realm.

Again, Rutgers needs the game, Seton Hall never has.
Living in past
Who was in tournament this year
We play in a better conference and sell out every game . Dan just said you had a better offer . The fact is SHU operates on a shoestring budget and needs the revenue from game more
Big East is a good conference but nowhere near the gauntlet the Big 10 is . The fact this thread is so long shows the interest just the discussion of the 2 teams brings . No one will care about SU vs Penn State .

• Haha
Living in past
Who was in tournament this year
We play in a better conference and sell out every game . Dan just said you had a better offer . The fact is SHU operates on a shoestring budget and needs the revenue from game more
Big East is a good conference but nowhere near the gauntlet the Big 10 is . The fact this thread is so long shows the interest just the discussion of the 2 teams brings . No one will care about SU vs Penn State .

Rutgers will sell out against Rider, Merrimack and the rest of its OOC opponents? Okay....

And part of the reason the thread is so long is because half the posts are from you!

The fans of NJ need it
I can see both sides
Why not play home and home next year
We use to play twice in Big East
The only reason we played you twice every year in conference was because the Big East forced it. No other team was consistently forced to take the hit to their strength of schedule other than Seton Hall!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT