ADVERTISEMENT

How could they dishonor our country.

Who decided taking a knee was disrespectful?

Yes, people are taught that they should stand for the anthem based on the same code that says you shouldn't be carried flat, printed on napkins, worn as apparel etc.. .You could walk around any pre game festivities at any stadium and see violations of flag code all over the place... but the guy kneeling is the one they get pissed off about. Not sitting as the protest originally started, but kneeling after speaking with someone who served as a compromise as a way to show respect to those who have served but also continue a protest against what they believe to be systematic oppression.

The flag is being used as the tool for people who disagree with the protest to get angry about it, I don't think the outrage really has anything to do with the flag... If it did, people public in general would actually care about flag code (which they don't)

Really? Someone needs to decide for you kneeling is disrespectful? You want to go down that route? Who decided it’s disrespectful not to flush the toilet? Who decided it’s disrespectful to pour beer on the guy in front of me? These are things you don’t have to be told. It is common sense.

I can’t speak for the history of flag code. But I can tell you for at least 75 years people have been standing during the national anthem at sporting events. It’s a tradition in this country that we stand and honor America with the playing of our national anthem and we pay respect to any other nations we play against.

Out of curiosity why take the time to stand up for God Save The Queen? Why not just kneel through both songs? If it's not disrespectful why not just kneel during that?

Last edited:
Has nothing to do with the flag? Cliff note version: Lets see, the flag is a symbol. The protest started during the crowd turning toward the flag and the playing of the national anthem. If it had nothing to do with the flag, then these morons could have "protested" some other way and/or at some other time.

Not what I said. I said the people who are pissed off about the protest are not pissed off about the respect the flag is shown.

Really? Someone needs to decide for you kneeling is disrespectful? You want to go down that route? Who decided it’s disrespectful not to flush the toilet? Who decided it’s disrespectful to pour beer on the guy in front of me? These are things you don’t have to be told. It is common sense.

but is it disrespectful?

I am not suggesting this is the best use of their efforts, or the best way to get their point across. All I am saying is that people are failing to acknowledge that this protest was modified from sitting to kneeling as a way to show respect to those who have served.. and if they still want to be angry about how the flag is being treated, then they should at a minimum, understand flag code.

You're upset others refuse to respect your beliefs about how one should behave while you simultaneously refuse to respect theirs.

There's right and wrong. If a policeman chooses to believe he can pull over a black person just on the fact he's black, should you respect his belief?

I sure as hell hope not. We have to respect each other, but also know the difference of right and wrong.

If it isn't about the flag then why not choose another time to protest? How about during the player introductions? How about during warm-ups?

Reactions: Vegas pj
Jerry Jones digs in on anthem benching, even against Cowboys stars
By Mark W. Sanchez

October 10, 2017 | 11:55am

Jerry Jones said he would not answer the “What if?” questions concerning whether he would follow through on his threat to bench any Cowboy who he feels disrespects the national anthem. And then, he appeared to do just that.

Asked Tuesday whether he would sit a Dallas star — Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott or Dez Bryant — if he takes a knee during the national anthem, Jones said, essentially, try me.

“The policy and my actions are going to be if you don’t honor and stand for the flag in a way that a lot of our fans feel that you should, if that’s not the case, then you won’t play,” Jones said on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas, doubling down on his comments following his conversation with President Trump. “As far as whether or not basically I will institute, or basically do what I said, I just would say that the implication that we’re not respecting the flag is just not going to be accepted. I would just ask anybody to look at my record.”

Jones would not clarify what disrespecting the anthem would entail — A fist, as two Cowboys raised last week? A knee? — saying, “You’ll know it when you see it.”

Jones explained his controversial stance by constantly referring to the field as the Cowboys’ workplace, saying that as the team’s owner, he can institute policies as he sees fit. And what he sees is a deeply polarizing issue that he would rather avoid altogether, as he takes a glance at his bank account.

“If you work in your workplace,” Jones said, “there’s things you can’t do in relation to the perception of your customers.”

Jones took a knee in prayer with his team before “The Star-Spangled Banner” on Sept. 25, after Trump called any NFL player who kneels for the anthem a “son of a bitch.” Jones left the door open for his players to protest before or after the anthem, but made it clear that during the song, no dissonance would be accepted.

“A large part of our group feels that’s disrespecting the flag,” he said. “I don’t have the luxury with the Dallas Cowboys to basically have a 51-49 situation. Or a 60-40 situation. I don’t want our fans to have to, in addition to be excited for the Cowboys, I don’t want our fans to have to sit there and have angst over those type of issues. As to the flag, all I’m saying is that comes ahead of all issues. And so I’m not going to have a situation with the flag where there is a debate about whether we’re respecting that or not. I’m clearing that up.”

The Cowboys have a bye week this week, then head to San Francisco, the birthplace of this anthem protest, where Colin Kaepernick began taking a knee to protest injustice against minorities in the US. Whether or not a knee is “disrespecting the flag,” Jones will not entertain the thought of alienating any fans.

“It’s not in the best interest of the Cowboys to be in this debate,” he said. “It’s not in the best interest of the Cowboys whether it’s right or wrong to imply that we don’t respect the flag.”

http://nypost.com/2017/10/10/jerry-jones-digs-in-on-anthem-benching-even-against-cowboys-stars/

NFL may tweak rules to make players stand for anthem
By Yaron Steinbuch

The NFL’s rules that players “should stand at attention” for the national anthem could be changed to make it clearly mandatory for them to do so, a league spokesman said Tuesday.

NFL spokesman Joe Lockhart addressed the recent comments by Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, who said that any of his players who demonstrated during the national anthem would be benched.

Jones said President Trump had reminded him of the NFL’s policy on conduct during pregame renditions of “The Star-Spangled Banner.”

The NFL’s game operations manual says the national anthem “must be played prior to every NFL game” and that “all players must be on the sideline” for it. Failure to do so “may result in discipline.”

The manual also says that while the anthem is being performed, “players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand and refrain from talking.”

Lockhart said that the issue will be “front and center on the agenda” for next week’s quarterly ownership meeting — and that the language could be changed, according to NBC Sports.

If the rules are changed to make standing mandatory, the question was raised about whether the NFL would have to engage in collective bargaining.

“I don’t believe that the anthem per se is an issue that’s collective bargained,” Lockhart said.

But the NFL Players Association may launch a legal challenge to any effort to change the manual unilaterally, NBC Sports reported.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported Jones’ comments Monday, claiming the owner believed the “controversy would ‘go away’ ” after a recent game in which Jones knelt with his team before the anthem.

Jones later said his organization had “wanted to make a statement about unity” and “a statement about equality.”

Trump tweeted at the time that the crowd was booing the kneeling Cowboys and that he approved of the way “they all stood up for our National Anthem.”

“Big progress being made — we all love our country!” he tweeted.

On Monday, Mortensen said Jones told him, “You know who reminded me about the game ops policy? Donald Trump.”

And on Tuesday, Trump stepped up his criticism of the NFL over the players’ protests against racial injustice.

“Why is the NFL getting massive tax breaks while at the same time disrespecting our Anthem, Flag and Country? Change tax law!” Trump tweeted.

It was unclear what exactly Trump was demanding since the league gave up its tax-exempt status in 2015. The White House did not reply to requests for comment.

“The idea that we received some sort of tax break is not true so there is nothing really here to give up,” Lockhart told reporters in a teleconference.

Jerry Jones digs in on anthem benching, even against Cowboys stars
By Mark W. Sanchez

October 10, 2017 | 11:55am

Jerry Jones said he would not answer the “What if?” questions concerning whether he would follow through on his threat to bench any Cowboy who he feels disrespects the national anthem. And then, he appeared to do just that.

Asked Tuesday whether he would sit a Dallas star — Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott or Dez Bryant — if he takes a knee during the national anthem, Jones said, essentially, try me.

“The policy and my actions are going to be if you don’t honor and stand for the flag in a way that a lot of our fans feel that you should, if that’s not the case, then you won’t play,” Jones said on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas, doubling down on his comments following his conversation with President Trump. “As far as whether or not basically I will institute, or basically do what I said, I just would say that the implication that we’re not respecting the flag is just not going to be accepted. I would just ask anybody to look at my record.”

Jones would not clarify what disrespecting the anthem would entail — A fist, as two Cowboys raised last week? A knee? — saying, “You’ll know it when you see it.”

Jones explained his controversial stance by constantly referring to the field as the Cowboys’ workplace, saying that as the team’s owner, he can institute policies as he sees fit. And what he sees is a deeply polarizing issue that he would rather avoid altogether, as he takes a glance at his bank account.

“If you work in your workplace,” Jones said, “there’s things you can’t do in relation to the perception of your customers.”

Jones took a knee in prayer with his team before “The Star-Spangled Banner” on Sept. 25, after Trump called any NFL player who kneels for the anthem a “son of a bitch.” Jones left the door open for his players to protest before or after the anthem, but made it clear that during the song, no dissonance would be accepted.

“A large part of our group feels that’s disrespecting the flag,” he said. “I don’t have the luxury with the Dallas Cowboys to basically have a 51-49 situation. Or a 60-40 situation. I don’t want our fans to have to, in addition to be excited for the Cowboys, I don’t want our fans to have to sit there and have angst over those type of issues. As to the flag, all I’m saying is that comes ahead of all issues. And so I’m not going to have a situation with the flag where there is a debate about whether we’re respecting that or not. I’m clearing that up.”

The Cowboys have a bye week this week, then head to San Francisco, the birthplace of this anthem protest, where Colin Kaepernick began taking a knee to protest injustice against minorities in the US. Whether or not a knee is “disrespecting the flag,” Jones will not entertain the thought of alienating any fans.

“It’s not in the best interest of the Cowboys to be in this debate,” he said. “It’s not in the best interest of the Cowboys whether it’s right or wrong to imply that we don’t respect the flag.”

http://nypost.com/2017/10/10/jerry-jones-digs-in-on-anthem-benching-even-against-cowboys-stars/

Jerry Jones has a business worth $5Billion. He must see that number potentially shrinking.

There's right and wrong. If a policeman chooses to believe he can pull over a black person just on the fact he's black, should you respect his belief?

No, that sounds horrible.
We should protest something like that.
Please provide a listing of minutes during the day when such protesting should occur.

I sure as hell hope not. We have to respect each other, but also know the difference of right and wrong.

Respect like speaking with a service member and modifying your protest to show continue your protest while respecting those who have served? That kind of respect? Or the kind of respect where they continue to protest at a time where you don't have to see it?

If it isn't about the flag then why not choose another time to protest? How about during the player introductions? How about during warm-ups?

Sigh... I have explained it several times. The flag is the symbol which the protesters have used for their protest.

The outrage about the protest has nothing do do with the flag.

Yep. It’s easily spotted in those that include a such vitriol in their posts here, or the responses elsewhere. It’s clear what they really want to say.
That statement is too general and is part of the problem. I personally am very uncomfortable about players sitting and kneeling during the anthem. I respect their right to protest and understand that my being uncomfortable about their protest is the exact response they were hoping to get or they would have chosen another form of protest.

I do not view their protest as a disrespect of the flag or the country. Rather I view it as their statement that the country and its stated values are not working for them and their families. I get that.

I was actually more upset when the three teams chose to not come out for the anthem because to me that was an outright rejection of our country.

That is my perception of what they were doing whether they thought that was what they were saying. I have several family members who have served in the military and as policemen. I will tell you that of course there are men and women who should not be police officers and that we should make every effort to weed them out. I just don't think that the current protest is going to help make that change.

They have every right to protest and I have every right to be unhappy with their protest. This is the beauty of the USA

That statement is too general and is part of the problem. I personally am very uncomfortable about players sitting and kneeling during the anthem. I respect their right to protest and understand that my being uncomfortable about their protest is the exact response they were hoping to get or they would have chosen another form of protest.

I do not view their protest as a disrespect of the flag or the country. Rather I view it as their statement that the country and its stated values are not working for them and their families. I get that.

I was actually more upset when the three teams chose to not come out for the anthem because to me that was an outright rejection of our country.

That is my perception of what they were doing whether they thought that was what they were saying. I have several family members who have served in the military and as policemen. I will tell you that of course there are men and women who should not be police officers and that we should make every effort to weed them out. I just don't think that the current protest is going to help make that change.

They have every right to protest and I have every right to be unhappy with their protest. This is the beauty of the USA

You nailed the concept many are choosing to ignore. Your perception is your reality. My perception is my reality. And someone else's perception is their own reality. No matter what the players say their intentions are, people are going to perceive things the way they want to perceive them. So if person A likes the protest and the timing of the protest your cause will ring loudly with them. If person B sees it as disrespectful, your protest is going to go on deaf ears because the focus will be on the act that is viewed as disrespectful. You can't change things if people won't listen to you. You have to persuade them. The players are in no way persuading the amount of people they want to. In fact just the opposite is happening which is why some owners are now getting involved. If this was bringing the country together and ratings were through the roof the owners and the NFL would say keep doing it. This has had such a negative effect on the perception of the league, owners are looking to do what's in the best interest of their investment. The cowboys are worth close to $5 billion. Who really thinks the players have the right to keep their job and negatively impact the value of Jerry's franchise?

Your thought out type of response is not the type I was referring to. I wasn't including something like this in the "...what they really want to say" segment of the false outrage over these protests. Because if someone feels as you do, then what they really want to say is not "I wish those blacks [or worse] would shut up & let me ignore their issues".

Reactions: SHUTAPS76
You nailed the concept many are choosing to ignore. Your perception is your reality. My perception is my reality. And someone else's perception is their own reality. No matter what the players say their intentions are, people are going to perceive things the way they want to perceive them. So if person A likes the protest and the timing of the protest your cause will ring loudly with them. If person B sees it as disrespectful, your protest is going to go on deaf ears because the focus will be on the act that is viewed as disrespectful. You can't change things if people won't listen to you. You have to persuade them. The players are in no way persuading the amount of people they want to. In fact just the opposite is happening which is why some owners are now getting involved. If this was bringing the country together and ratings were through the roof the owners and the NFL would say keep doing it. This has had such a negative effect on the perception of the league, owners are looking to do what's in the best interest of their investment. The cowboys are worth close to $5 billion. Who really thinks the players have the right to keep their job and negatively impact the value of Jerry's franchise?
Excellent summary.

You nailed the concept many are choosing to ignore. Your perception is your reality. My perception is my reality. And someone else's perception is their own reality. No matter what the players say their intentions are, people are going to perceive things the way they want to perceive them. So if person A likes the protest and the timing of the protest your cause will ring loudly with them. If person B sees it as disrespectful, your protest is going to go on deaf ears because the focus will be on the act that is viewed as disrespectful.

I completely agree with that, but that doesn’t mean the act itself was disrespectful. I will even agree that this has turned into a discussion about the flag which takes away from the actual point of the protest.

But Again, why is the fact that Kap met with someone who served to find a way to show respect but maintain his protest completely ignored in this discussion?

Why are white people significantly more offended than black people about this protest? Is it because of patriotism?

What I have been implying that it doesn’t matter when the protest occurred... if it was during a time where people would see it, the same group who is offended would be offended.

OK, this thread has now gone on long enough here.

First thing tomorrow I will be transferring it to the Off the Ship board where anyone who wants can continue their discussions there.

I completely agree with that, but that doesn’t mean the act itself was disrespectful. I will even agree that this has turned into a discussion about the flag which takes away from the actual point of the protest.

I perceive it to be disrespectful so to me it is. You perceive it's not. That's the beauty of America.

But Again, why is the fact that Kap met with someone who served to find a way to show respect but maintain his protest completely ignored in this discussion?

He got one man's opinion. Does that mean that 1 man speaks for the rest of us? People get opinion's and second opinions all of the time. Sometimes they work out for the better. Sometimes they simply just don't. But let's also remember Kap was going to do something during the anthem regardless. Kneeling, while unacceptable, is just a better option than sitting, which I do agree with.

Why are white people significantly more offended than black people about this protest? Is it because of patriotism?

I have no idea why. But I do know you can break down 1,000 actions and you can find a ton of cases where blacks significantly more offended, and you can find plenty of actions where whites are more offended. Why that is, I really am not qualified to answer, but this is one where whites are more offended. Maybe it's just a sign of how racially divided we are. I don't see that. I have a lot of black friends. I have a lot of white friends. I've volunteered in rich towns and very poor cities. But obviously the racial divide is there.

What I have been implying that it doesn’t matter when the protest occurred... if it was during a time where people would see it, the same group who is offended would be offended.

I completely disagree. I don't think people are looking for reasons to ignore police brutality. I don't think people are looking to divide. I simply think the players, many of which took basket weaving courses in college and are not professional political activists, intertwined 2 gigantic issues instead of making it about 1. It was a poorly calculated movement. I would love to ask how many people now boycotting the NFL since week 3 are for police brutality. I bet it's close to 0 if not 0.

Reactions: SHUMatt
No actually it's not, as Seton75 & I said above but was deleted. It has nothing to do with the actual reasons these protests & BLM exist, and just serves to push 400's POV on other issues.

5000 views......180 comments.........on a college basketball message board...........the level of racism that still exists in this country is mind boggling

Reactions: SHUSource
Had Rosa Parks protested by sitting at a baseball stadium during the anthem, I don't think her message would have gotten through.

5000 views......180 comments.........on a college basketball message board...........the level of racism that still exists in this country is mind boggling

What does that have to do with racism? What about the number of threads on the NY Giants on a college basketball board? Does that imply something too?

I think you can separate the two issues of race and timing of the protest. You can be pro social justice reform and anti protest during the anthem. Over a year ago there was a protest in Charlotte that got out of hand and led to businesses being vandalized. Nobody condoned those actions and said it's okay because they are fighting for social justice reform. It's one thing to rock the boat and get people's emotions to stir things up in a protest, it's a completely different thing when millions of people think you are doing something disrespectful to get your point across.

Had Rosa Parks protested by sitting at a baseball stadium during the anthem, I don't think her message would have gotten through.
Had Rosa Parks protested today, she would have been told that on the bus was not the appropriate place, that people need to get to work, that her refusing to sit where she was legally required and forcing the bus driver to stop was disrespecting her fellow citizens' rights to earn a living for their families by preventing them from getting to work on time, potentially costing them their jobs, and so she was actually hurting her cause by alienating fellow citizens who have no problem with her beliefs and respect her right to protest, but just want her to do it in the right way, at the right time, and in the right place, because the way she is choosing to act now actually makes her the disrespectful one, and if she really cares as much as she claims about black people getting to sit where they want on buses (and isn't actually in it for ego and attention), then why isn't she putting in work in the community instead of just creating a divisive spectacle, why isn't she getting elected to congress to change segregation laws or starting a new bus company where black people are allowed to sit in the front?

Had Rosa Parks protested today, she would have been told that on the bus was not the appropriate place, that people need to get to work, that her refusing to sit where she was legally required and forcing the bus driver to stop was disrespecting her fellow citizens' rights to earn a living for their families by preventing them from getting to work on time, potentially costing them their jobs, and so she was actually hurting her cause by alienating fellow citizens who have no problem with her beliefs and respect her right to protest, but just want her to do it in the right way, at the right time, and in the right place, because the way she is choosing to act now actually makes her the disrespectful one, and if she really cares as much as she claims about black people getting to sit where they want on buses (and isn't actually in it for ego and attention), then why isn't she putting in work in the community instead of just creating a divisive spectacle, why isn't she getting elected to congress to change segregation laws or starting a new bus company where black people are allowed to sit in the front?
So there's this thing called a "period".......

I read it not as a rebuttal piece but as a performance piece, satirizing how someone who is opposed to the current NFL protests would spew similar talking points about Rosa Parks back in 1955. I thought it was cleverly done. Commenting on the punctuation shows the satire was completely missed. Satire is frequently missed by the target of the satire.

typical reaction. Chickenbox is one of the most thoughtful & clever posters here. Ignore what he said & just goof on the one time he wasn't grammatically correct. This isn't flnj were talking about here.

Chickenbox's post is very well thought out, however there is nothing factual about it. It's what he believes would happen in a hypothetical situation. He's entitled to his opinion. Others are entitled to the opposite view. Nobody is right. Nobody is wrong. There is no definite answer of how it would play out today. At some point, people on both sides of the aisle need to switch sides and put themselves in the other sides shoes. Until that happens there's reason for both sides to believe they are right and there will be no middle ground.

Reactions: shu09
I read it not as a rebuttal piece but as a performance piece, satirizing how someone who is opposed to the current NFL protests would spew similar talking points about Rosa Parks back in 1955. I thought it was cleverly done. Commenting on the punctuation shows the satire was completely missed. Satire is frequently missed by the target of the satire.
We all knew what he was doing after the first line. It didn't require a rebuttal. Obvious humor gets lost on some here...

At some point, people on both sides of the aisle need to switch sides and put themselves in the other sides shoes. Until that happens there's reason for both sides to believe they are right and there will be no middle ground.

and I know I sound like a broken record here, but Kaepernick invited Boyer to talk to actually hear his side and modified his protest after that. Appears to me that one side has already viewed this from the other side... but it will never be good enough for the other side until they don't have to see it anymore.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
and I know I sound like a broken record here, but Kaepernick invited Boyer to talk to actually hear his side and modified his protest after that. Appears to me that one side has already viewed this from the other side... but it will never be good enough for the other side until they don't have to see it anymore.

So because Kap asked one guy his opinion, does that mean everything is now good on his side. That's as ridiculous as me saying Trump asked Dr. Ben Carson advice on African American issues, so the entire black community should be happy with that.

Reactions: HALL85
So because Kap asked one guy his opinion, does that mean everything is now good on his side. That's as ridiculous as me saying Trump asked Dr. Ben Carson advice on African American issues, so the entire black community should be happy with that.

I'm not saying everything is good now, but I have seen more of an effort of the protesting side to understand the patriotism side than vice versa.

I'm not saying everything is good now, but I have seen more of an effort of the protesting side to understand the patriotism side than vice versa.

If you are using that logic you are completely incorrect. I'm sure Trump deals with Ben Carson more than Kap deals with police or military.

If you are using that logic you are completely incorrect. I'm sure Trump deals with Ben Carson more than Kap deals with police or military.

Trump doesn't look to his critics and invite them in to have a discussion about finding some kind of common ground / agreement they can come to while trying to actually understand the issue. That is what Kaepernick did.

Ben Carson is not close to a Trump critic... and not an appropriate analogy here.

Trump doesn't look to his critics and invite them in to have a discussion about finding some kind of common ground / agreement they can come to while trying to actually understand the issue. That is what Kaepernick did.

Ben Carson is not close to a Trump critic... and not an appropriate analogy here.

He didn't have dinner with Pelosi and Schumer? I guess that's more #FakeNews. He may not have the time to do it on every issue in this country. But he does do it.

If I were going to start a movement, I doubt I would pick Colin Kaepernick to lead it. That being said, I give him credit for reaching out and trying to learn. Whether he picked the right guy or should have talked to more people is beside the point if you don't like the idea of an anthem/flag protest.

He didn't have dinner with Pelosi and Schumer? I guess that's more #FakeNews. He may not have the time to do it on every issue in this country. But he does do it.
Trump has met with more of his critics in 8 months than Barry did in 8 years. Other side of the aisle, minority groups, business panels, world leaders...you can't be serious. We can argue as to whether he is getting anything done, but you can say the same thing about CK.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT