ADVERTISEMENT

June Tweets

Hard to believe that bundle of joy is some day going to be 6-7-6-11.

If he's anything like his mom and dad he'll be one helluva addition to society.

624a38c699243b8ec0df88d49ee0913b--images-of-welcome-welcome-to.jpg

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
Angel not playing for Dominican National team. Getting a little bad press from local news media there.

Translated​

Ángel Delgado will not play with the Dominican Republic in the Olympic playoffs​

The internationally recognized Dominican center made the announcement that it would not be in the Olympic playoff basketball tournament for Tokyo 2020 that the country will play in Belgrade, also indicating the reasons for its decision.​

The Dominican Republic has its first loss of impact in the face of the pre-Olympic commitment that it will hold at the end of June, with the loss of one of its most prominent centers at the international level, Ángel Luis Delgado .

The Dominican shared a publication through the social network Instagram in which he reported that he would not be available to compete with the country against Serbia and the Philippines in Group A of the Olympic repechage tournament that begins on June 29. Delgado said that the reasons that led him to make the decision are strictly family.

"By this means I want to inform my country that I will not be able to attend the national team for family reasons," begins by saying Delgado's message through his Instagram account (angeldelgado). “I spent 10 months in Spain without seeing my family due to the COVID-19 situation, my son was born and can only be with him for 10 days and I had to return to Spain because of my commitments. It was very hard for me. Now that I can be with him, I want to share with my son and be with him as long as I can ”.

"It is not known when this will be solved (the COVID-19 situation) and I do not want to leave the country to play and leave my family again without knowing when I will return again," continues Delgado's message .

"This decision is very hard because the @rdbseleccion means a lot to me, but in this case I have to put my family above, especially my son who has just been born."

Later, Delgado clarified that his decision has nothing to do with the economic aspect, as allegedly, the media in the Dominican Republic have indicated and subsequently proceeded to thank the coaching staff of the basketball team for their understanding of the situation that prevents making the trip to the Olympic playoffs.

Declining Delgado is sensitive to the country, which had counted on his presence and dominance in the painted during the last two commitments of Dominican basketball team, which qualified for the tournament area FIBA AmeriCUP 2022 .

I certainly respect that decision from Angel. Turning down an opportunity to play in the Olympics (I understand this was just qualifying, but not having him certainly seems to hurt their chances and turning this spot down likely hurts his chances of being selected for the olympic team if they qualify) is no small decision for an athlete and it's clear that Angel's family is very important to him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT