ADVERTISEMENT

Moving to Phase II

I did not see anything in that article that said Murphy was advised of this when making his decision. It simply cited a college professor offering a theory about what affected the decision..

I cannot see that it was "THE" reason. It could have been one of many factor.

Here is an article offering other reasons.

https://thehill.com/business-a-lobb...ol-distributors-urge-governors-to-keep-liquor

Last night my wife and got together with two other couples on Zoom and had a virtual cocktail party. It was enjoyable to have the social interaction.

The reason alcohol is obtainable right now is because the governors were cautioned that if alcoholics do not have access to alcohol, it would lead to unintended consequences including an increase of hospitalizations.

You are making the claim that if liqueur stores were closed that the number of potential domestic abuse crimes would decrease.
The problem with your logic/assumption is assuming that the domestic abuse cases which involved alcohol would not occur without alcohol. It's a thought you have without much else to support the claim.
We're worried about unintended consequences? I guess no one told Nancy Pelosi if small businesses are forced to close because they don't get this PPP money which will help businesses pay for rent and utilities, many will be foreced to close and the unintended consequences of no work being out there. Honestly another 250 billion still is not enough. How about the people who are 55, poured their whole life into a business and lose it. Who's hiring people 55+? Unintended consequences could be worse. Unintended consequences...yeah okay.

I did not see anything in that article that said Murphy was advised of this when making his decision. It simply cited a college professor offering a theory about what affected the decision..

I cannot see that it was "THE" reason. It could have been one of many factor.

Here is an article offering other reasons.

https://thehill.com/business-a-lobb...ol-distributors-urge-governors-to-keep-liquor

Last night my wife and got together with two other couples on Zoom and had a virtual cocktail party. It was enjoyable to have the social interaction.

Saw it in one of his briefings. Also commented about the unintended consequences on with Tucker as well.

We're worried about unintended consequences? I guess no one told Nancy Pelosi if small businesses are forced to close because they don't get this PPP money which will help businesses pay for rent and utilities, many will be foreced to close and the unintended consequences of no work being out there. Honestly another 250 billion still is not enough. How about the people who are 55, poured their whole life into a business and lose it. Who's hiring people 55+? Unintended consequences could be worse. Unintended consequences...yeah okay.

You're mixing everything up here.

Yes, The unintended consequence of saving hundreds of thousands if not millions of lives is that it is going to hurt many businesses.

I'm not sure why you keep talking about Pelosi. I haven't defended Pelosi here.

I said in early march how bad this was going to hurt our economy. We need much more stimulus if we want to save our economy as we come out of this.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
You're mixing everything up here.

Yes, The unintended consequence of saving hundreds of thousands if not millions of lives is that it is going to hurt many businesses.

I'm not sure why you keep talking about Pelosi. I haven't defended Pelosi here.

I said in early march how bad this was going to hurt our economy. We need much more stimulus if we want to save our economy as we come out of this.
The government is forcing people to shut down. I have no problem with that. But make them whole. Trump, Pelosi, McConnell, it's all of their responsibility. Who isn't in Washington working on it right now. Mrs $13 Ice Cream. If you're going to take away one's pursuit to make a living for themseles, that's fine, but make them whole. This PPP program is dumb. But it's what we got. So fund it. The easiest route would've been been take company's 941's. Send every company what they need based on their 941's. Done. No application. No review process. If you miss a payment within a week they have a letter sent out to you. They have all the information they need on file.

Maybe the governors should also consider this.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...rinking-beer-wine-may-higher-risk/5143321002/

Last edited:
No. What the hell does he accomplish by tweeting LIBERATE for states with democratic governors only.

why the hell is he tweeting about the 2nd amendment at a time like this.

He is promoting civil unrest that is going to get people killed. That is not hyperbole.

He's not promoting civil war. You're being ridiculous.

He's not promoting civil war. You're being ridiculous.

and you're being incredibly forgiving. He is telling people in VA to march on their government with their guns.

Governor has two options. Let the people gather and risk spreading the virus and extending this lockdown further or bring in cops to break up the protests. There is potential that this could get very ugly.

Except
The reason alcohol is obtainable right now is because the governors were cautioned that if alcoholics do not have access to alcohol, it would lead to unintended consequences including an increase of hospitalizations.

You are making the claim that if liqueur stores were closed that the number of potential domestic abuse crimes would decrease.
The problem with your logic/assumption is assuming that the domestic abuse cases which involved alcohol would not occur without alcohol. It's a thought you have without much else to support the claim.
First of all, no one is getting hospitalized right now with alcohol withdrawal. If you go to any ER in NJ, NY or PA, only the most serious cases are allowed to enter, much less get admitted. Anything that’s non life threatening is diverted to a subacute or ambulatory care setting. Most hospitals have separated their ER into two sections. One for Kovatch patients and one triaging other cases and diverting them. So the thought that it Is going to overburden the hospitals is a pure fallacy. Amazing that you can’t see that. As I said before, liquor stores are closed in Pennsylvania and they have a Democratic governor. This is just a pure money gram.

So the thought that it Is going to overburden the hospitals is a pure fallacy. Amazing that you can’t see that. As I said before, liquor stores are closed in Pennsylvania and they have a Democratic governor. This is just a pure money gram.

People still have access to alcohol right now though. Of course we wouldn't see it.
People from NJ have access and people in PA are getting delivery or driving to other states that still sell alcohol.

People still have access to alcohol right now though. Of course we wouldn't see it.
People from NJ have access and people in PA are getting delivery or driving to other states that still sell alcohol.
PA is a big state...lol. 3 hour drive for a six-pack??

If you don’t think the main reason they remain open is for tax revenue, then you’re pretty naive.

PA is a big state...lol. 3 hour drive for a six-pack??

If you don’t think the main reason they remain open is for tax revenue, then you’re pretty naive.

Yes. Alcoholics would drive 3 hours for alcohol.

Alcohol revenue for a 2 month lock-down is about 0.03% of the states total revenue.
That is fairly insignificant.

I'm sure there was a debate about alcohol specifically, but you really think someone in the room was really like "we need to make sure we keep that 0.03% of revenue flowing".

How many here are infected and don't know it yet?
How many did the just infect?
How many will die as a result of these people not understanding that distance is our ONLY way to prevent this virus right now?

There are going to be more and more of these idiotic demonstrations.

How many here are infected and don't know it yet?
How many did the just infect?
How many will die as a result of these people not understanding that distance is our ONLY way to prevent this virus right now?

There are going to be more and more of these idiotic demonstrations.

I think the point is, they don't care if they get the virus. They value getting the economy up and running again versus the very low risk that they'll contract the virus.

Their chants go way too far, but the message is only going to get louder. We need to reopen.

Yes. Alcoholics would drive 3 hours for alcohol.

Alcohol revenue for a 2 month lock-down is about 0.03% of the states total revenue.
That is fairly insignificant.

I'm sure there was a debate about alcohol specifically, but you really think someone in the room was really like "we need to make sure we keep that 0.03% of revenue flowing".
There are these things called lobbyists and special interests. Last year PA instituted a tobacco tax on cigarettes, vapes, pipe tobacco...everything except cigars. Why?

If you really wanted to keep people inside why would you leave liquor stores and lottery kiosks open.

There are these things called lobbyists and special interests. Last year PA instituted a tobacco tax on cigarettes, vapes, pipe tobacco...everything except cigars. Why?.

because the Cigar lobby is too strong compared to the cigarette lobby? Lol... come on. I have no idea why. Never looked into it.

If you really wanted to keep people inside why would you leave liquor stores and lottery kiosks open.

Agree on lottery. Explained liquor stores already.

because the Cigar lobby is too strong compared to the cigarette lobby? Lol... come on. I have no idea why. Never looked into it.
Because the 3 of the 5 largest cigar distributors are located in which state. I’ll give you three guesses.

Based on the size of the crowd, my guess it's less than the number of homicides in Chicago.

Explained liquor stores already.
So liquor sales are up 55% in March BUT liquor compromises your immune system. Seems like we are accelerating putting people at risk...but the alcoholics...

Reactions: shu09
So liquor sales are up 55% in March BUT liquor compromises your immune system. Seems like we are accelerating putting people at risk...but the alcoholics...

sales are up because people are afraid. No indication that consumption is up.

Good effort though.

Good effort though.
Exactly how do you know alcohol purchases are the result of fear? Link please.

Why encourage people to compromise their immune system if that is critical in protecting yourself if contracting the disease?

yes, I understand their ignorance.

They don’t.

It's not ignorance, it's a valid position.

Have we been bamboozled on this? Hospitals are not overwhelmed (the stated reason for the shutdown). The people dying are very old and/or have preexisting conditions in the vast majority of cases. Either the virus is very widespread with many asymptomatic carriers, or 99% of Americans don't have it (you can't have it both ways). In either case, that is good news as if many people have it, the death rate isn't much more than the flu or other ILI. If the stated numbers are correct, then the vast majority of Americans don't have it.

Exactly how do you know alcohol purchases are the result of fear? Link please.

Why encourage people to compromise their immune system if that is critical in protecting yourself if contracting the disease?

it’s right next to your evidence that consumption is up...

it’s right next to your evidence that consumption is up...
Don’t need to prove that. My point was that liquor stores are not “essential”. And they aren’t...do you need to leave the house for alcohol? Do you want to put people in another situation that may be unsafe (going out in public) and encouraging them to compromise their immune system and putting them more at risk?

And if someone is scared wouldn’t you encourage them to contact physician via telemedicine?

You seem to be worried about saving lives. I’m just trying to help you.

It's not ignorance, it's a valid position.

Have we been bamboozled on this? Hospitals are not overwhelmed (the stated reason for the shutdown). The people dying are very old and/or have preexisting conditions in the vast majority of cases. Either the virus is very widespread with many asymptomatic carriers, or 99% of Americans don't have it (you can't have it both ways). In either case, that is good news as if many people have it, the death rate isn't much more than the flu or other ILI. If the stated numbers are correct, then the vast majority of Americans don't have it.

but you realize hospitals are not overwhelmed because every state shut down right? That this would have been far worse had we not?

About a quarter of deaths are aged 45-64.

The mortality rate is 20x that of the flu at minimum. Probably see closer to 30.

Don’t need to prove that. My point was that liquor stores are not “essential”. And they aren’t...do you need to leave the house for alcohol? Do you want to put people in another situation that may be unsafe (going out in public) and encouraging them to compromise their immune system and putting them more at risk?

And if someone is scared wouldn’t you encourage them to contact physician via telemedicine?

You seem to be worried about saving lives. I’m just trying to help you.

No, you think protesting the government is valid because a liquor store is open. Thats why we are taking about this.

I personally don’t really care. Haven’t been to a liquor store.

I’ll give you an interesting view from several folks I serve on a board with who are from Sweden and Norway. We had our scheduled meeting yesterday (telephonic), and at a break I asked them about a segment that was on the news this week Comparing the restrictions that Norway and Sweden have put in place. Sweden has not shut anything down although they are setting guidelines for capacity in restaurants and cafés etc. They have the same fatality rate as in the US. Norway has imposed very strict guidelines. Their mortality rate is lower but infection rate much higher than the US.

One director who saw the piece and who lives in Sweden said their government view was to give guidance and let people use their common sense. I asked her about the crowded restaurants and cafés that were shown by the MSM outlet. She laughed and said that public meeting spaces are very sparsely attended and those are not current shots. Hmmmm.

Reactions: shu09
No, you think protesting the government is valid because a liquor store is open. Thats why we are taking about this.

I personally don’t really care. Haven’t been to a liquor store.
I don’t have a problem with people protesting if they feel that the restrictions are motivated by reasons that have little to do with their health. I don’t know all of the restrictions have been put in place in Michigan other than the ones I mentioned earlier. But three of them are liquor stores, marijuana dispensaries and lottery kiosks.

Good effort though.

Where do you come up with this stuff?

Yes, there are no cameras in houses to see when they drink what they buy.

Do you seriously think people are stockpiling booze?

Newsflash: People are drinking what they buy and when they need more, its off to Wegmans to buy more. Or we go to Shangy's and get the growler filled.

Everyone I know that is some form of a drinker, is drinking more now.

Reactions: HALL85
I just got an email advertising a protest in Harrisburg.

I am not posting this to atract attendees. I Xed out the date and time.

"You are welcome to join us on xxxday X/20 @ Noon at the Capitol in Harrisburg, PA for a rally to peacefully protest Governor Wolf and the Economic shut down.

It's time to Re-Open businesses in PA. BYO Gadsden and/or American Flags or make signs with messaging: #FreedomIsEssential or ReOpen PA.

You can stay in your vehicles and drive around Capitol Building or join others on sidewalk areas. Social distancing is encouraged, but not mandated. Wear a face mask if you feel so inclined. This is not about Covid-19 or any political candidates but rather about re-starting our state's economy."

Where do you come up with this stuff?

Yes, there are no cameras in houses to see when they drink what they buy.

Do you seriously think people are stockpiling booze?

Newsflash: People are drinking what they buy and when they need more, its off to Wegmans to buy more. Or we go to Shangy's and get the growler filled.

Everyone I know that is some form of a drinker, is drinking more now.

Yes, people are stockpiling booze. That is what the data suggests.

You will see that play out in the data soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT