ADVERTISEMENT

Queston on Willard

I just saw this nugget on the shuhoops.com write up of the game last night...

“The tough part of playing Sunday-Wednesday, you don’t get that rest so we’re looking forward of having a nice day of rest tomorrow and then get in the weight room,” said Willard, looking forward to a road game at Xavier.

Can he stop with the constant whining about the schedule? The 3 road games in a row is one thing, but now complaining about playing Sunday and Wednesday after having had 6 days off prior to those 2 games... Come on KW, I thought you were above that cr@p but apparently I am wrong.

He has been complaining about the schedule since Hawaii. After the Delaware game he told Popkin that he had not been home in so long he didn't even get to put up Christmas lights at his house.

Willard is a terrible coach and aside from the one class, an even worse recruiter. If you can't see this by now, I'm not sure what to say. How many times can we watch his teams get worse as a season goes on and then listen to him whine about the schedule that every team has to deal with throughout college basketball? We have 3 stud players as juniors and he is so inept at recruiting that he couldn't figure out a way to give them a PG and some real depth. How do you come out in a must-win home game and score 2 buckets in the first 12 minutes?

I agree with everything you wrote. On #3, Providence and SJU were able to rebuild more quickly than us, despite the programs being in worse shape, and with the caveat that Lavin (while accomplishing some good things) left the program in much worse shape than he inherited, with Mullin now trying to pick up the pieces.

On #2, recruiting, I hear you. The only distinction I'd draw is that Willard & staff now have the ability to sell a Big East title/tourney berth and Whitehead going to the NBA. Some may not care, particularly given the pedigree of the teams we are competing with for these kids, but it gives us an additional selling point.

1. I completely agree with the first few sentences. AD, DR, and KC are studs. Powell is going to be a stud. Ish and Nzei are very serviceable. Even Jones has had some decent moments. As for, "We should be able to win some against of the top of the league", I also agree. So after years and years of under-performance, perhaps its time to start asking why we rarely do steal wins from the top of the league.

2. Every year (a year out), we hear about Willard being on the edge of a huge recruiting class. It's happened once, and everyone knows that it got a huge assist from some opening assistant positions. He's had plenty of time to get in good with high quality big prospects (with playing time to offer), and he's had plenty of time to peddle the wide open PG spot to 2017 recruits.

3. Our rebuild has not been good compared to anyone other than Rutgers and Depaul. SJU, Prov and us hired coaches right around the same time. Lavin has left, but he achieved quite a bit there and also had that big medical issue that I assume at least partially was a reason for leaving. This year and next year is pretty much Willard's proving ground in what has been a very long rebuild. What I see from his recruiting and coaching has not inspired confidence.

If it's the clapping one, PLEASE YES

Reactions: Piratefan2009
He cannot coach a winning team (aside from Whitehead) and he cannot recruit. 7 years? Cmon this loss tonight solidifies us for the bottom half of the league. There is no great run coming in the second half of league play from this team because we dont have the horses (Where they at Kevin). This guy is a loser, like Coach Masiello at Manhattan, two bums from the Pitino tree. How many more years of mediocrity can we put up with? Give the program a shot in the arm and get someone in who knows what the hell they are doing. The delgado carrington rodriguez class is being wasted. Once they leave the cupboard is bare.

Frustrated fan.
Who is gonna make the pizza?

That's right..... All those open shots at the end, Desi losing it ---again---at end of second half, Angel missing seven free throws, Carrington continuing to throw up bricks, Sanogo and Nzei being offensively challenged...

That's all Willard's fault.

Frankly, a good part of it IS his fault for not developing an actual offense for this team. And also for not being able to improve the team's free throw shooting

He applied for the job. The powers that be selected him as the best candidate. It's really that simple.

Frankly, a good part of it IS his fault for not developing an actual offense for this team. And also for not being able to improve the team's free throw shooting

Come on HallLine... Don't blame the coach when the team loses. It's always the players fault. Remember?

Come on HallLine... Don't blame the coach when the team loses. It's always the players fault. Remember?

Or it's the schedule. As Roseann Rosannadanna used to say, 'it's always something.'

But cheer up, apparently at his post-game presser Willard said it's on him that we stink on offense (paraphrasing) and he intends to work on that. Pretty encouraging and it only took him 7 years to come to that revelation and focus on that part of his damned job.

Being super blunt, I hope KW gives away Grant's position to someone to get a difference maker (If it helps with Duval then fine with me) in here next year at PG or at the 5. I like Grant as much as everyone else, but he brings zero to the table and we desperately need to do damage in the tourney next season, part. if we don't make the tourney this year, which seemed unfathomable in November but now seems more likely than not. This is where we're at. Again. Unacceptable.

Reactions: shupat08
He cannot coach a winning team (aside from Whitehead) and he cannot recruit. 7 years? Cmon this loss tonight solidifies us for the bottom half of the league. There is no great run coming in the second half of league play from this team because we dont have the horses (Where they at Kevin). This guy is a loser, like Coach Masiello at Manhattan, two bums from the Pitino tree. How many more years of mediocrity can we put up with? Give the program a shot in the arm and get someone in who knows what the hell they are doing. The delgado carrington rodriguez class is being wasted. Once they leave the cupboard is bare.

Frustrated fan.
I arrived 40 minutes before last nights game to see the warmups. I wish someone had a tape of that to see how non-serious that practice went. With SHU shooting between 50-60% from the foul line, I wanted to see how many shots were taken from the foul line during practice. The answer = 0 SHOTS !! There was everyone outside trying to take these 3 point shots and a lot of other players standing around. It appears after we win a game, everything becomes too relaxed and players just go back to their old ways. Last night was embarrassing to watch as a former student, as a fan, and even as a school. I heard on Hall Line how tight the game was but we had so many missed open shots. It wasn't Butler's defense it was just off balance shots, it was lack of passing on Delgado once he got double teamed and overall poor performance by the entire crew. I left last evening with such a disappointing feeling knowing that was a very win-able game and no one cared. NO ONE.

Been saying this from day 1 and I was killed. Said it year after year and i was destroyed. You can just tell by his offensive sets, the swiss cheese zone defense we play. It's not hard to see the holes we have. No adjustments ever. We recently saw a high low with delgado and desi. Other than that we have a weave and high pick and roll on offense. I love Nova and St Johns zone press. I love providence and Xavier's defense. Granted, this coach hasn't recruited a real pg and instead took 3 transfer pg in the past 3 years.

Been saying this from day 1 and I was killed. Said it year after year and i was destroyed. You can just tell by his offensive sets, the swiss cheese zone defense we play. It's not hard to see the holes we have. No adjustments ever. We recently saw a high low with delgado and desi. Other than that we have a weave and high pick and roll on offense. I love Nova and St Johns zone press. I love providence and Xavier's defense. Granted, this coach hasn't recruited a real pg and instead took 3 transfer pg in the past 3 years.

+1

You got there before me. But there were a few of us screaming into the wilderness. And always ridiculed in return.

I get that the BIg East is very competitive, but if you give this roster to another coach, you do not lose the amount that you have this year.

Carrington,Delgado, Drod.Sheesh.

Year after year I am always so surprised.

To answer your question " Why is Willard Here " it's really quite simple.
1. SH does not want to pay the millions necessary to buy out his contract.
2. He has a big - time "friend at court " in Lyons that goes back to their days together at Iona.
3. He did just enough when the heat was on about his recruiting by bringing in the 2014 class .
4. When it got even hotter after the epic collapse in the 2014/2015 season he won the BET last year to silence his critics temporarily.
5. He has strong support from key members in the administration and on the BOR and the bar they set as to his performance goals may be lower then the fan bases is.

Reactions: deheremike
No one is ever banned for some reason unknown. This board puts up with more 'stuff' than most any other Rivals site before a person is banned.

In short if you get banned you earned it.

It is but i need permission or else i might be banned. for some reason unknown to me.

Let's be clear. I have no problem with a coach clapping. That gif is incredibly contagious though. Once you see it you'll never watch a clip of Willard clapping post-something bad happening again. On second thought, maybe you shouldn't post it.

Let's be clear. I have no problem with a coach clapping. That gif is incredibly contagious though. Once you see it you'll never watch a clip of Willard clapping post-something bad happening again. On second thought, maybe you shouldn't post it.
Its just a great meme. bottom line.

Did you retire the clapping monkey Willard or permenantly eliminate him? I would think we need a poll at this point to see if it is time for him to come back.

The clapping monkey index

Did you retire the clapping monkey Willard or permenantly eliminate him? I would think we need a poll at this point to see if it is time for him to come back.

The clapping monkey index
Why are you poking the bear? Do you really think that helps in any way?

Tell you what. You have told us on many occasions what a big SHU fan you are. How about purchasing tickets and then attending the Duval game.

Do that and you earn the right to be more aggressive in your posting.

Reactions: SOBO1 and shupat08
Is the clapping Willard really that terrible that I would be poking the bear? I was just asking at what point is it going to make a comeback? Wouldn't you agree that if we don't make the Dance with this team, then he deserves to live? You realize how much talent we have. You realize how terrible we are playing. Just trying to get a gauge.

"You realize how much talent we have."

With all due respect, I think this is an overstatement. At the start of the season I think this was the feeling of many posters. But it's clear now that on offense we have very good talent at 3 positions. That's it.
We have enough talent to play with anyone (perhaps except Nova) but our margin of error is minuscule. So I think the team has played very well on defense but has limitations offensively. That's why the wins are hard to come by lately.

Is the clapping Willard really that terrible that I would be poking the bear? I was just asking at what point is it going to make a comeback? Wouldn't you agree that if we don't make the Dance with this team, then he deserves to live? You realize how much talent we have. You realize how terrible we are playing. Just trying to get a gauge.
Everyone deserves the right to live! Staying after missing the NCAAs is a discussion, if necessary, at a much later date than today.

Re the original title of the thread, there has to be a funny take off on what Casey Stengel said when he was asked why Choo Choo Coleman was catching for the Mets, but I cant think of it...

Do people have confidence that Willard can land Duval?

How about Jordan Walker if we don't get Duval because we need a point guard next year?

Do people have confidence based on history of recruiting when we lose our whole starting lineup that he can land a big 2018 class that can keep us competitive?

If the answer is no then as the OP said Why is Willard here?

Honestly if Delgado leaves for the pros Willard should be fired because we know we will have no shot at being competitive next year.

I really hope this team can figure it out and shove this post up all of yours. Really disgusting. Similar thing happened to Orr. He lost his star PG, 4 solid returning players around him, epic failure season. Made the dance the next year and got canned. Hasn't it been a wonderful journey filled with joy and happiness since? Let the people hired to do a job do it with your support instead of crucifying a guy that got us to where we wanted to be 10 months ago.

Reactions: IronKaz1
I really hope this team can figure it out and shove this post up all of yours. Really disgusting. Similar thing happened to Orr. He lost his star PG, 4 solid returning players around him, epic failure season. Made the dance the next year and got canned. Hasn't it been a wonderful journey filled with joy and happiness since? Let the people hired to do a job do it with your support instead of crucifying a guy that got us to where we wanted to be 10 months ago.

Is Orr a similar situation? It seems like lots of schools would let loose a coach after 7 or 8 years and one tourney appearance. Seems more like a Tim Welsh situation. I'm not saying Willard should be out at the end of the season (he wouldn't anyway even if we lost every game from here on out).

Is it ever appropriate for a coach to get fired for poor performance in your mind? Anyone who goes into a coaching career knows they need to be results oriented. Your brand is your ability to win.

I'm all for "letting people hired to do a job do it". After seven years I think it's fair to judge the body of work. I also don't see evidence that we're moving in the right direction if he can't put it together this season. His teams have serious motivational issues, and have always. Feels more like Year 2 than Year 6.

*Edit* and one and done in the tourney isn't really "where I want to be". It's the bare minimum to call a season successful. It was his first successful season. Something to build on. Sustained success is where I assume most fans want us to be.

Is Orr a similar situation? It seems like lots of schools would let loose a coach after 7 or 8 years and one tourney appearance. Seems more like a Tim Welsh situation. I'm not saying Willard should be out at the end of the season (he wouldn't anyway even if we lost every game from here on out).

Is it ever appropriate for a coach to get fired for poor performance in your mind? Anyone who goes into a coaching career knows they need to be results oriented. Your brand is your ability to win.

I'm all for "letting people hired to do a job do it". After seven years I think it's fair to judge the body of work. I also don't see evidence that we're moving in the right direction if he can't put it together this season. His teams have serious motivational issues, and have always. Feels more like Year 2 than Year 6.

*Edit* and one and done in the tourney isn't really "where I want to be". It's the bare minimum to call a season successful. It was his first successful season. Something to build on. Sustained success is where I assume most fans want us to be.
if he had the tourney appearance in year 2 and nothing since, then yes, a change would be made. That is not the case here. In fact it is exactly the opposite. Nobody is getting fired one year after winning a BET after 23 years and getting to the NCAAs for the first time in 10 years. Just let the season play out and support the team.

Reactions: IronKaz1
I think Willard (and the University) deserves for us to bite our tongues until the end of the season.

That being said, the BET title while thrilling is being overplayed here.

The relevant statistics right now are:

1. 7 years
2. 1 NCAA appearance
3. 0 NCAA wins

I think Willard (and the University) deserves for us to bite our tongues until the end of the season.

That being said, the BET title while thrilling is being overplayed here.

The relevant statistics right now are:

1. 7 years
2. 1 NCAA appearance
3. 0 NCAA wins

Actually it's only 6 years complete with 1 NCAA appearances, 0 NCAA wins, 1 big east title, 1 NIT
The previous 10 years, 2 NCAA appearances, 1 NCAA win, 0 big east title, 3 NIT, multiple national embarrassments

The program hasn't gotten worse under Willard. If there's big time coaches breaking down the doors to get the Seton Hall job it should be discussed after the season. Until then support the coach, staff, and players and stop with these pointless posts that serve as nothing but a distraction mid season.

You are right. It should read 6 seasons.

Fair point re waiting until season's end before making any conclusions.

I'd just point out that we were paying those previous coaches less than a third of what Willard is getting paid. That's got to factor into any assessment at year end.

In comparing the Willard tenure with the BG and Orr tenures Kevin has had significant advantages that neither BG or LO had and that is a President and BOR who fully support the athletic program; substantially improved athletic facilities, a much larger basketball budget and an aggressive AD who has gotten Kevin the assets a coach needs to be successful.

You are right. It should read 6 seasons.

Fair point re waiting until season's end before making any conclusions.

I'd just point out that we were paying those previous coaches less than a third of what Willard is getting paid. That's got to factor into any assessment at year end.
If you want be even more fair you should re read the paper articles to remind yourself of what he took over. A program known for a nut punch, a drug deal gone bad, a player flat lining. We probably had the worst reputation in the country. How this coach has made everyone forget that is a credit to him. It took time for that to happen. I highly doubt we get these same exact kids if they were class of 2011 or 2012. Everyone would have advised them they have better opportunities.

Reactions: hallwins
There were also issues with the NCAA that no one was aware of. Issues that needed mending. The first couple of years were throwaway ones for Willard.

If you want to judge him it's fair to start around year three.

Reactions: halltheway
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT