ADVERTISEMENT

Queston on Willard

Your Blue Tinted Glasses are killing your objectivity SHUHoopsFan. We all love the Pirates here. So don't act like the FLNJ86 guy that knows Jerry Lucas and call us crazy. We just want this team to be better. JT and EG are not the answers. We cant be in that situation at this point. We have to have a decent Point. It has been way too many years. Willard better get Duval at this point, or it is going to be a sh&tshow on this site next year with JT and EG running the point. You think 4 pages of questioning Willard is alot, you havent seen anything yet.

The biggest issue I see is that the fan's expectations seems to be much different than the administration's expectations after 7 seasons. One NCAA appearance and no tourney wins in 7 years (granted season is not over yet - but I just dont think this turns around w/10 games to go) is plenty of time for a coach in college basketball to right the ship. I think the administration is happy with Willard regardless of what happens this season. I don't agree at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHUMA04
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/67252/jevon-thomas

Those are some tough stats man. Both here and at KSU I'm not sure I'd look at the cupboard and have much confidence. You're also talking about Gordon stepping in at PG when he hasn't been able to sniff the court this season. Saying "He will push JT to be a starter", on what basis? What have you seen from Gordon that instills that opinion? These seem like dream statements. They sound like the off-season talk of this year that MJ and JT are going to balance each other and be serviceable.

If you think those stats are bad look at Copelands first 2 years. I don't put much stock in Thomas' numbers this year. 21 straight months without playing college basketball. He didn't have a chance to work with the guys to start the season, and then just got put in the fire. Plenty of players barely sniff the court then have good years, so I'm not putting it past Gordon who has been exposed to NBA talent his whole life. We don't have to look far to find players who saw almost no action the had a breakout season, Ish did it. I think a lot of people only see good stuff with Gordon, problem is you don't know how to weigh it because it is in garbage time a lot. But ideally I want to see Duval or Walker here next year.

Your Blue Tinted Glasses are killing your objectivity SHUHoopsFan. We all love the Pirates here. So don't act like the FLNJ86 guy that knows Jerry Lucas and call us crazy. We just want this team to be better. JT and EG are not the answers. We cant be in that situation at this point. We have to have a decent Point. It has been way too many years. Willard better get Duval at this point, or it is going to be a sh&tshow on this site next year with JT and EG running the point. You think 4 pages of questioning Willard is alot, you havent seen anything yet.
I'm being objective. I'm not looking to get rid of a coach who won a championship last year. I'm not jumping off the ledge with a 3-5 big east start. I'm not crazy enough to think Whitehead coached this team to victory last year. Obviously I want Duval here. Obviously I want Walker here. I think we will get at least one of them. And me personally, unlike you, I won't hold it against Willard if there are attachments involved. I'm sure Kansas, Baylor, Arizona, and Duke aren't just offering tuition, room and board. I don't doubt Nike, Addidas, and UA are all involved. All I'm saying if things beyond our control cause us not to get either, I'm not jumping of the ledge because I have faith in the other 2 which you obviously don't.

Reactions: hallwins
There should be a pipeline of players seven years into KWs tenure. The program should be established. PJ did it:
Mark Bryant begat Ramon Ramos who begat Anthony Avent who begat Jerry Walker .

We have been mostly misbegotten ever since but that's the way you build a program and not have the uncertainy going into every season.

Doing it right: Villanova,Gonzaga, X, Butler, and Tony Bozzella.

Reactions: HallLine69
I'm being objective. I'm not looking to get rid of a coach who won a championship last year. I'm not jumping off the ledge with a 3-5 big east start. I'm not crazy enough to think Whitehead coached this team to victory last year. Obviously I want Duval here. Obviously I want Walker here. I think we will get at least one of them. And me personally, unlike you, I won't hold it against Willard if there are attachments involved. I'm sure Kansas, Baylor, Arizona, and Duke aren't just offering tuition, room and board. I don't doubt Nike, Addidas, and UA are all involved. All I'm saying if things beyond our control cause us not to get either, I'm not jumping of the ledge because I have faith in the other 2 which you obviously don't.

This post is a master work of overstatement, denial, excuses, rationalization, and blind faith.

This post is a master work of overstatement, denial, excuses, rationalization, and blind faith.
Then why post or watch another game for the next couple of years. Willard will be here whether you agree with it or not. You can't find something better to do with your time. Willard can't make the free throws for them. If he could we would probably have wins at Marquette, PC, and X sitting at 6-3. If the biggest negative of the program is free throw shooting, we are in great shape.

The biggest negative of the program, this terribly disappointing season aside, is that we graduate three irreplaceable pieces next year, and have no definitive prospects of replacing them, aside from the staff being "very confident."

Reactions: shupat08
The biggest negative of the program, this terribly disappointing season aside, is that we graduate three irreplaceable pieces next year, and have no definitive prospects of replacing them, aside from the staff being "very confident."

Granted we do have Powell & Cale at the 2 guard position. But other then those two, we have no one replacing Desi and Delgado.

Be realistic. We didn't have replacements for Fu, Oliver, Auda, Geramipoor, and Teague in February of their junior year. Then that summer we got Ish and the rest fell in place. With the exception of Ohio State and UNC, I don't think anybody else has their juniors replaced. Give it time.

Fair enough, but what about the last couple of recruiting cycles (and, really, KW's track record over seven years) fills you with such confidence?

Reactions: Piratefan2009
Fair enough, but what about the last couple of recruiting cycles (and, really, KW's track record over seven years) fills you with such confidence?

Well based on a post from yesterday in the 247sports website we have gotten top 100 recruits this season and last. Brodie is not an unranked recruit, he has legitimate potential. He has a similar ranking on that website that KC had coming out of HS. So basically after they leave our starting lineup without landing a recruit is Gordon, Powell, Cale, Nzei, and Brodie. For 3 years now Willard has been going hard after this 2018 class. If we continue the trend of landing 1 top 100 recruit, I'm going to guess we get 2 or 3 of them.

Then why post or watch another game for the next couple of years. Willard will be here whether you agree with it or not. You can't find something better to do with your time. Willard can't make the free throws for them. If he could we would probably have wins at Marquette, PC, and X sitting at 6-3. If the biggest negative of the program is free throw shooting, we are in great shape.

Well, since I've been attending, watching or listening to Seton Hall basketball games since the Werkman days there's zero chance I'll be turning away.

But I will agree with you that 'if the biggest negative of the program is free throw shooting' we'd be in great shape. Sadly --and blatantly obviously-- that is only one of our problems.

Brodie is not an unranked recruit, he has legitimate potential. He has a similar ranking on that website that KC had coming out of HS.

What?
http://247sports.com/Player/Darnell-Brodie-84986

He is ranked 245 on Sports247. Scout, Rivals, and ESPN didn't even evaluate him. He's unranked by all the major ranking sites and 245 out of 247 on the site you mention. Offers from Temple, St. Joe's, Umass.

http://247sports.com/player/khadeen-carrington-24010
Khadeen was 142 on Sports 247. 127 nationally by Rivals, 3 star scout grade from ESPN. Nevermind that KC had offers from Uconn, Cincy and St. Johns. He was a stud.

Not sure where you are getting your info but I don't classify these two as "similar" in the rankings. Obviously hoping Brodie develops big time.

What?

He is ranked 245 on Sports247. Scout, Rivals, and ESPN didn't even evaluate him. He's unranked by all the major ranking sites and 245 out of 247 on the site you mention. Offers from Temple, St. Joe's, Umass.

Khadeen was 142 on Sports 247. 127 nationally by Rivals, 3 star scout grade from ESPN. Nevermind that KC had offers from Uconn, Cincy and St. Johns. He was a stud.

Not sure where you are getting your info but I don't classify these two as "similar" in the rankings. Obviously hoping Brodie develops big time.

http://setonhall.247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/Targets

His composite ranking is 166. What is that based on? Their own site ranks him 245 out of 247, and he's not ranked (as in, at all) by Rivals, Scout or ESPN.

I'll give you that the composite ranking isn't far from Khadeen, but it seems based on some magic math. Definitely want to look at his Putnam numbers now. Could be one of the mythic diamonds in the rough.

I don't know what it's based. I really don't care what it's based on as long as they didn't just pick a name out of one hat and a number out of another hat.

And may lose the biggest one of those after this year.

KC was a top 100 kid for sure and had plenty of high major programs interested.

What?

Reactions: deheremike
Brodie is nowhere near the recruit that KC was. are you really serious
I didn't make up the numbers. Based on the numbers they are pretty close. Deny it all you want. Let's be fair, the numbers don't mean much because Desi is playing like our best player at times and he was rated in the 300s. But right now all I can go by is the numbers because I haven't seen Brodie play in person yet. Please give me your observations from all the games you went to see Brodie play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT