ADVERTISEMENT

Rangers vs. Devils

That’s is the larger concern. He was largely hands off under Sather/Gorton which resulted in a pretty good stretch of success. Then he got involved when Drury sold him a bunch of crap which resulted in the front office house cleaning and the roster has largely deteriorated since then.
This season for the rangers is the equivalent to the season he made Donnie Walsh trade for Carmelo. Ruined the mojo of a good team for the shiny object that caught his attention. Except this time it wasn’t a 26 year old in his prime but an injured 34 year old whose best days are far behind him.

From the looks of it 75/25 Devils. Wish I was there. Let's go Devils!🤘😈🔥

My brother was there last night and he said it was around 75% Devils fans

The loud Eeeee-Gorrrr chants were sweet
The Rock was rocking !

What a series
I really thought the lack of playoff experience would hurt the Devils’ chances

Reactions: SHU_Pirate1
The Devils were clearly dominant in 5-on-5, and this was going to come down to not shooting themselves in the foot by taking silly penalties, which was a big part of Games 1 & 2. The last 2 games saw some bad refereeing that favored the Rangers, but after an especially dubious first period with penalties last night, the Devils found their way to success.

The Devils were clearly dominant in 5-on-5, and this was going to come down to not shooting themselves in the foot by taking silly penalties, which was a big part of Games 1 & 2. The last 2 games saw some bad refereeing that favored the Rangers, but after an especially dubious first period with penalties last night, the Devils found their way to success.
Good point on the penalties. Schmid was lights out in four of his five games and he made some really big saves last night. Two shutouts when being thrown into the fire down 0-2. Not to look ahead, but if this continues, he is the starting goalie next year, but what to do with either Blackwood or Vanecek.

Josh Harris has done a great job as owner since buying the club ten years ago (also owns the 76er's and buying Commanders).

Devils have a real chance to win a cup, no way around it now that boston and Colorado are out.

They won this series with zero production from Meier, Bratt, and hischier. Those guys didn’t play terribly either, Shesterkin just had their number. Have to think they pick up the slack in the next round and make the team even more dangerous.

Edit: Schmid was lights out in their four wins, but it’s not like the Rangers put much pressure on him in any of those games. The one game they did, he folded. I’ll be interested to see how he holds up against a team that can actually generate a forecheck and scoring chances.

Devils have a real chance to win a cup, no way around it now that boston and Colorado are out.

They won this series with zero production from Meier, Bratt, and hischier. Those guys didn’t play terribly either, Shesterkin just had their number. Have to think they pick up the slack in the next round and make the team even more dangerous.

Edit: Schmid was lights out in their four wins, but it’s not like the Rangers put much pressure on him in any of those games. The one game they did, he folded. I’ll be interested to see how he holds up against a team that can actually generate a forecheck and scoring chances.
It all comes down to goaltending. Whichever of the 8 teams left goalie plays the best will most likely win. If the devils can get leads into the third period, it will be interesting to see how teams try to beat their 1-2-2.

Good point on the penalties. Schmid was lights out in four of his five games and he made some really big saves last night. Two shutouts when being thrown into the fire down 0-2. Not to look ahead, but if this continues, he is the starting goalie next year, but what to do with either Blackwood or Vanecek.

Josh Harris has done a great job as owner since buying the club ten years ago (also owns the 76er's and buying Commanders).
Unless you have an super elite goalie, most NHL teams are splitting goaltending duties these days. Even before these playoffs, I expected Blackwood would be gone next year. Based on these playoffs looks like Schmid has cemented himself on Devils roster, depending how rest of playoffs go for him and Vaniteck could be 1A and 1B. Also, always chance Schmid falters at some point in playoffs and Ruff goes back to Vaniteck as starter.

Schmid didn't fold, he probably would want the one wrister from the high slot back. In the games where the Devils' PK worked, they won. The better team, the higher seed, won. How did the goal differential end up?

Go Rangers, I mean Devils.

Still in mourning but I'll get over it.
I respect that. It was an exciting series with back and forth. Rangers had a real shot at winning this series but the devils showed up and played hard after their msg drubbing. Impressed by schmid being able to come back and play a solid game. Igor was great last night once more. He just doesn’t get a lot of help from the rangers team on d. But. All that said. Let’s go devils!

I'm not a big fan of hockey, but it's nice to see the Devils back in the playoffs.

Schmid didn't fold, he probably would want the one wrister from the high slot back. In the games where the Devils' PK worked, they won. The better team, the higher seed, won. How did the goal differential end up?
lol I get your excited about the first series win in over a decade, but the as a whole the series was played evenly. Moot point now, devils showed up in Game 7, rangers didn’t.

If you played hockey you’d know he should’ve had 3 of those back, the rebound goal to goodrow was especially atrocious.In a series against Toronto or Edmonton he’ll face a lot more quality scoring chances and odd man rushes. If he holds his own, devils could win a cup.

Last edited:
It all comes down to goaltending. Whichever of the 8 teams left goalie plays the best will most likely win. If the devils can get leads into the third period, it will be interesting to see how teams try to beat their 1-2-2.
I’m interested to see how Carolina tries to slow them down. They play a much more compact and connected style than the rangers so could negate some of the devils breakouts from their own zone. Still think devils will win that series in 6/7 though.

I'm not a big fan of hockey, but it's nice to see the Devils back in the playoffs.
Me neither. But this series was extremely exciting for me. As anticipated as any sporting event but a big shu game for me. I am gonna be locked to it till the devils lose. Wondering if i keep watching if they lose. But not having daneko do the games takes something away.

Reactions: walshtrips
The Devils wouldve had 5-10 more goals in the series if it wasnt for Igor.

Reactions: HALL85
lol I get your excited about the first series win in over a decade, but the as a whole the series was played evenly. Moot point now, devils showed up in Game 7, rangers didn’t.

If you played hockey you’d know he should’ve had 3 of those back, the rebound goal to goodrow was especially atrocious.In a series against Toronto or Edmonton he’ll face a lot more quality scoring chances and odd man rushes. If he holds his own, devils could win a cup.

Typical rangers fan, always with the "you don't know hockey," "you don't play." I would wager that I've played longer than you've been alive, and am now playing long after you'll have hung them up. Seen 3 Devils Cups, 2 of them while I was at the Meadowlands.

NY had the better goalie, and it ends there.

Since you're the hockey expert, tell me how important goal differential was in this series, because you were touting it after game 6.

• Haha
Reactions: SOpirate
Typical rangers fan, always with the "you don't know hockey," "you don't play." I would wager that I've played longer than you've been alive, and am now playing long after you'll have hung them up. Seen 3 Devils Cups, 2 of them while I was at the Meadowlands.

Since you're the hockey expert, tell me how important goal differential was in this series, because you were touting it after game 6.
I’ve seen my team lift more Cups than two generations of nyr fans

Schmid sh*t the bed in game 6. Don’t know why that’s hard to admit. (And if you really want to go there I’m not talking about playing Tuesday night beer league.)

My entire generation is yet to see a cup from either team, and fwiw the rangers have been the better franchise during that period.

The final aggregate for the series was 17-17. Take away empty netters and it was 16-14 NYR. So yes, the series as a whole was about as even as it could possibly get. Devils found a way to win the 2 toss up games and that was the difference. congrats to them and their fans.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Schmid sh*t the bed in game 6. Don’t know why that’s hard to admit. (And if you really want to go there I’m not talking about playing Tuesday night beer league.)

My entire generation is yet to see a cup from either team, and fwiw the rangers have been the better franchise during that period.

The final aggregate for the series was 17-17. Take away empty netters and it was 16-14 NYR. So yes, the series as a whole was about as even as it could possibly get. Devils found a way to win the 2 toss up games and that was the difference. congrats to them and their fans.
Go tell the cumulative stats to 1960 Yankees fans against the Pirates. 😂

Not sure if you saw Mark Messier on the post game, but I will go with his assessment of the series.

He essentially said that to him, the Rangers seemed slightly out of sync for the entire series which he felt that the players acquired at the deadline did not assimilate and learn tendencies (which accounted for the turnovers). Added that their lines were not settled as they should be at this point. He also said the Devils were the quicker team and were able to keep the Rangers off-stride and capitalize on those turnovers.

Tough day to be a Rangers fan. The series wasn’t even. Devils won 4 games Rangers won 3. That’s what matters. FWIW NJ was the better team.

Disparage Schmid all you’d like (sounds like sour grapes) he was lights out yesterday. Stepped up big in the pivotal game. Devils with a lot more hockey to play. Rangers…golf.🏌️‍♂️⛳️

The Rangers the better franchise?!? 😂🤣😂 With 1 Stanley Cup in the last 80 years! 😂 No way for even the bluest of Rangers fans to spin that. Truly one of the most overrated franchises in professional sports.

Not sure if you saw Mark Messier on the post game, but I will go with his assessment of the series.

He essentially said that to him, the Rangers seemed slightly out of sync for the entire series which he felt that the players acquired at the deadline did not assimilate and learn tendencies (which accounted for the turnovers). Added that their lines were not settled as they should be at this point. He also said the Devils were the quicker team and were able to keep the Rangers off-stride and capitalize on those turnovers.
I watch msg network whenever they have the broadcast but valiquette and Lundqvist essentially said the same. I mostly blame gallant for panicking and jumbling the lines instead of sticking with the lineup that dominated in games 1-2.

Most pivotal moments of the series were games 3-4. They could’ve gone either way and the devils found a way to grind out 2 wins with their backs against the wall at MSG.

Last edited:

Defines, SORE LOSER
😂🤣😭

Reactions: Seton75

the Rangers turned the puck over all season. They were turnover prone well before the trades. It’s a big reason why I was hoping the devils would catch Carolina. They are a giant mismatch for the rangers. For some reason the media figured once the playoffs started the rangers would stop turning over the puck. They were able to play with more of a structure in games 1 and 2 but that could only last so long in a 7 game series and you eventually revert back to who you are.

Gallant constantly changing lines was also a killer. There was no identity.

Tough day to be a Rangers fan. The series wasn’t even. Devils won 4 games Rangers won 3. That’s what matters. FWIW NJ was the better team.

Disparage Schmid all you’d like (sounds like sour grapes) he was lights out yesterday. Stepped up big in the pivotal game. Devils with a lot more hockey to play. Rangers…golf.🏌️‍♂️⛳️

The Rangers the better franchise?!? 😂🤣😂 With 1 Stanley Cup in the last 80 years! 😂 No way for even the bluest of Rangers fans to spin that. Truly one of the most overrated franchises in professional sports.
You’re right. Devils deserved to win, rangers deserved to lose. I think NJ could win it all too. If not, at least you’ll have the “beat the rangers” banner to fall back on.

You’re right. Devils deserved to win, rangers deserved to lose. I think NJ could win it all too. If not, at least you’ll have the “beat the rangers” banner to fall back on.
I’ll bet every rangers fan wishes they had the best the devils banner for the next year.

So what are you talking about? Did you ever earn a dime playing hockey?

Carolina looks a helluva lot better than the rangers to me. Maybe it is just that they are fast too?

Carolina looks a helluva lot better than the rangers to me. Maybe it is just that they are fast too?

Carolina is a pretty elite defensive team. The Devils were awful last night, of course. Even in the first round, when the Devils lost by 3 or more goals, they had long stretches where they controlled play. Not last night. Hopefully they lose the hangover by Friday night.

Reactions: HALL85
So what are you talking about? Did you ever earn a dime playing hockey?
I saved a lot of money off of tuition playing. Anyway, I think Schmid’s .805 sv% & 6.82 GAA vs Carolina prove my point. He was a nice story in round 1, but there’s a reason he was playing juniors 2 years ago.

The devs dont look like they should be on the same ice. Look totally overmatched to me. Way worse than 1 and 2 vs nyr

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT