ADVERTISEMENT

Will McDermott survive this?

• Thread starter anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
  • Start date
He spoke to a lockerroom that have Africa-american people within it. He tweet/text I am sorry while an act of contrition, is not good enough in this spot. Creighton, his employer, a private one at that, did not handle this well from the start at middle of week. I am sorry, if he did not want this disclosed that it took place, he should have used other words.

As for my 2nd graph, that has to do with any person who chooses to launch social media, proudly aknowledges what they do/who they do it for and then commit social media violations/infractions, displays of hatred towards a siutation. At that point, I have no sympathy and if they professionally perish they self inflicted the damage.
So in your worldview, no matter what good McDermott may have done with his AA players over the years, and no matter how truly contrite McDermott may be about his utterly horrible, insensitive and clueless choice of words with his players, and no matter how much those terrible words may have been a product of a dumb-ass jock coach trying to motivate his players and not a product of a truly malicious, racist man, that’s not enough- instead of recognizing where it may have came from and trying to learn from the situation and grow from it, he must pay with his career?

So in your worldview, no matter what good McDermott may have done with his AA players over the years, and no matter how truly contrite McDermott may be about his utterly horrible, insensitive and clueless choice of words with his players, and no matter how much those terrible words may have been a product of a dumb-ass jock coach trying to motivate his players and not a product of a truly malicious, racist man, that’s not enough- instead of recognizing where it may have came from and trying to learn from the situation and grow from it, he must pay with his career?
No I did not say that.

On my second graph, I am saying be responsible to yourself. McDermott is a front facing person of a university. Bad choice of words. I empathize for he, his staff, the players and the AA people within the Creighton community. I don't feel bad he has be punished. I feel terrible he had a lapse in judgment to state what he stated.
More on my 2nd graph, for whomever is employed anywhere and feels they dont need to meet social media obligations or comply with their employer's handbook and then launches on their own a twitter, facebook, instagram and uses that platform in a way that can bring negative publicity to their employer while stating in their profile I do x for x company, I do not have sympathy if that person is future endeavored.

No I did not say that.

On my second graph, I am saying be responsible to yourself. McDermott is a front facing person of a university. Bad choice of words. I empathize for he, his staff, the players and the AA people within the Creighton community. I don't feel bad he has be punished. I feel terrible he had a lapse in judgment to state what he stated.
More on my 2nd graph, for whomever is employed anywhere and feels they dont need to meet social media obligations or comply with their employer's handbook and then launches on their own a twitter, facebook, instagram and uses that platform in a way that can bring negative publicity to their employer while stating in their profile I do x for x company, I do not have sympathy if that person is future endeavored.
Fair points all, Shoreguy. But the thing of it is, McDermott has taken responsibility for it; and, most do agree he does deserve to be punished for it. And as part of that, McDermott has readily accepted his punishment. As to your second point, it is totally legit and I think anyone who has ever worked in a professional setting will wholeheartedly agree with it. That said, it is also not what has happened here, as far as I can recall. So it brings us full circle - should McDermott pay for this horrible moment with his career?

Creighton handling Greg McDermott situation extremely poorly
By Zach Braziller

The first mistake was not immediately suspending Greg McDermott. The second is currently being made: Leaving the suspension without clarity.

Creighton owes it to its players to get this right. I’m not saying McDermott should be fired. But he should not coach again this year after his racially insensitive remark to his team following a loss at Xavier.

McDermott, a fine coach and bright offensive mind, told his players, “I need everybody to stay on the plantation. I can’t have anybody leave the plantation.” I can’t imagine why he made such a callous comment that carries racist overtones of slavery. That’s besides the point.

But the school has handled this extremely poorly. It let him coach at Villanova, and predictably his team was a mess, falling behind by as many as 22 points in a 12-point loss. Smartly, Creighton suspended him after that game, although that had a lot to do with the negative backlash it received.

Now, it is uncertain how long the suspension will last. The Creighton players have handled this with class and maturity beyond their ages. They have expressed their feelings intelligently. They sure seemed relieved on Saturday not to have this issue hanging over their heads in a 20-point home win over Butler.

McDermott has said he offered to resign, but his players wanted him to coach. That may be true. It doesn’t make it the right decision.

he Bluejays shouldn’t have to keep answering questions about McDermott. They should, for the time being at least, be able to focus on making a big March run. Distractions, and yes the coach is one, have to be avoided at a time like this, for their mental well-being more than anything. This is a team, ranked 14th in the country, capable of reaching the Final Four, gifted offensively and deep in two-way difference-makers.

Bringing McDermott back this year would be a big mistake. Not stating the length of the suspension would be even worse.

Just take a look at what LSU did with Will Wade, and yes, usually following LSU’s lead in situations like this is a major mistake. But in March of 2019, LSU suspended Wade for the rest of the season after an FBI wiretap was released in which he reportedly appeared to be making an unspecified offer during the recruitment of a player.

Led by interim coach Tony Benford, the Tigers reached the Sweet 16. By suspending Wade, it enabled LSU to focus on basketball instead of the scandal involving its coach.

Creighton could do the same thing. Its players shouldn’t have to answer for their suspended coach. He acted inappropriately, not them. It’s up to the school’s administration to make life easier for their student-athletes instead of harder.

Scarlet fever
Steve Pikiell could never have another winning season. He could lose a lot more than he wins. It doesn’t matter. Pikiell will be a folk hero in Piscataway, for the rest of his days. He will be forever remembered as the man who did what most thought was impossible: Led Rutgers to the NCAA Tournament.

Saturday’s overtime win at Minnesota all but assured the Scarlet Knights of their first trip to the Dance since 1991, capping a second consecutive season in which they won double-digit league games. The last time that happened was 1989-91.

After 13 straight losing seasons, Pikiell has led Rutgers to consecutive winning campaigns, and, most important, Rutgers fans will see their team’s name called on Selection Sunday. They deserve it.

In fact, the Scarlet Knights may have to carry the local flag. Wagner, the top seed in the NEC, lost in the conference semifinals. St. John’s and Seton Hall need strong weeks in the Big East Tournament to get selected. While Rutgers hasn’t played very well of late — it has lost three of its last five games — it will enter the tournament without any pressure having already accomplished its goal. Maybe the team that started so strong — ranked as high as 11th — returns.

Game of the Week
Big East Tournament at Madison Square Garden, March 10-13

It will be a Big East Tournament unlike any other. Only 1,000 fans will be in attendance each day due to COVID-19 regulations. The No. 1 seed, Villanova, is reeling after losing star point guard Collin Gillespie to a season-ending injury and fellow starter Justin Moore could miss the tournament with a sprained ankle. Second-seeded Creighton may be without its coach, Greg McDermott, after his racially insensitive remarks led to his suspension. Streaking UConn, the third seed, may be the favorite. No. 4 St. John’s, which closed the year by winning nine of 12 games, could become a popular dark-horse pick.

Seeding
1: Gonzaga, Baylor, Michigan, Illinois

2: Alabama, Iowa, Ohio State, Houston

3: West Virginia, Kansas, Arkansas, Oklahoma State

4: Villanova, Oklahoma, Purdue, Texas Tech

Stock Watch
Up — Arkansas

No team is hotter than the Razorbacks. They enter the SEC Tournament having won 11 straight conference games as the second seed. That includes victories over SEC regular-season champion Alabama and tournament teams Missouri, Florida and LSU. Coach Eric Musselman has created an intriguing mix that includes a stud freshman (Moses Moody), key transfers (Justin Smith, JD Notae and Jalen Tate) and even a holdover from the Mike Anderson era (Desi Sills). Arkansas is ranked 12th in the nation, its highest since 1998, in just Musselman’s second season.

UP — Iowa

You can’t make fun of Iowa’s defense any more. It’s never going to be at a Virginia level, but it has made major strides, keying this late-season run that has seen the Hawkeyes win seven of their last eight games. That includes two victories over Wisconsin, one at Ohio State and one at Michigan State. Their defense is now ranked 61st in the country in efficiency, which is more than good enough to not only complement their second-ranked offense, but get to a Final Four.

Down — Villanova

Between losing star point guard Collin Gillespie to a torn MCL and his backup, fellow starter Justin Moore, suffering what coach Jay Wright termed a “pretty severe” ankle injury, it was a trying week for the Big East’s top team. It seems unlikely Moore will play in the Big East Tournament, leaving an already thin roster bereft of any depth. Sophomore Bryan Antoine, the McDonald’s All-American who has hardly seen the court due to injuries the last two years, will need to play big minutes. The Wildcats will enter the tournament at the Garden as the No. 1 seed in name only. They could be the underdog against the Marquette/Georgetown winner in the quarterfinals on Thursday.

Down — Duke

The Blue Devils have lost three straight games. They finished in 10th place in the ACC. They are an even 11-11 on the season. And, yet, somehow you still see them in the mix for an at-large bid with certain Bracketologists. Duke has as many Quad 1 as Quad 3 losses — two apiece — and a 6-9 record in Quad 1 and 2 games. The résumé is barely deserving of the NIT. The only reason this team belongs in the NCAA Tournament is by winning the ACC Tournament. I get the Duke brand carries a lot of weight — ESPN went into overdrive trying to hype up Saturday night’s game at North Carolina, with analyst Seth Greenberg erroneously suggesting it was the biggest game in the storied rivalry since 1969 — but at some point, logic has to take over.

Wow Braziler way off here. I hope Creighton gets smoked in March.

The vultures in the media like him will be the first ones creating the distraction when McDermott comes back by asking the players questions about it. They claim to be on the side of the players, but they'll cast them aside to hunt for a story during the peak month for college basketball coverage.

The vultures in the media like him will be the first ones creating the distraction when McDermott comes back by asking the players questions about it. They claim to be on the side of the players, but they'll cast them aside to hunt for a story during the peak month for college basketball coverage.
Sadly true....divi$ivene$$ $ell$ in the M$M.

Zach as a college basketball reporter has a responsibility to his readership and editor to fully process a storyline, this one is significant. Do you read zach a lot? How is he a vulture?
Creighton should put out something tomorrow regardless if suspension stays or if there is reinstatement and allow coach and players to have a media session and say going forward they will not answer any more questions on this matter.

He spoke to a lockerroom that have Africa-american people within it. He tweet/text I am sorry while an act of contrition, is not good enough in this spot. Creighton, his employer, a private one at that, did not handle this well from the start at middle of week. I am sorry, if he did not want this disclosed that it took place, he should have used other words.

As for my 2nd graph, that has to do with any person who chooses to launch social media, proudly aknowledges what they do/who they do it for and then commit social media violations/infractions, displays of hatred towards a siutation. At that point, I have no sympathy and if they professionally perish they self inflicted the damage.
Well as tempting as your merciless ethos is to say I hope you experience the retribution that the mob brings, I truly hope that the mob never comes for you.

Most media members I have talked to think the other way. My opinion only but I could not disagree with Brazilier more.
Not surprised by that at all. Here’s the irony. If Creighton would be foolish enough to fire McDermott, how many schools do you think would line up to try to hire him within months? Schools like Seton Hall where a coach may move on would have him on speed dial.

AND he would likely get a hefty raise at the same time.

Reactions: SHUMA04 and Piratz
Maybe I am a little bias as I greatly admire McDermott in the post game media secessions. Win or lose he is cordial, enlightening, and informative with no rancor.

I can't say that about every coach in the post game.

The guy's been the coach there for 10 years. Maybe he’s been linked to a recruiting violation or two, but other than that is there anything even remotely negative that can be said about the man or the job he’s done there. He made a mistake. He apologized. Forgiveness. Move forward. Another example of how society is messed up. Loss of Christian values. We’re all human and we all screw up. By all accounts this is a very good man who in one instance showed he’s not perfect.

The guy's been the coach there for 10 years. Maybe he’s been linked to a recruiting violation or two, but other than that is there anything even remotely negative that can be said about the man or the job he’s done there. He made a mistake. He apologized. Forgiveness. Move forward. Another example of how society is messed up. Loss of Christian values. We’re all human and we all screw up. By all accounts this is a very good man who in one instance showed he’s not perfect.
And his team stands behind him....

Maybe I am a little bias as I greatly admire McDermott in the post game media secessions. Win or lose he is cordial, enlightening, and informative with no rancor.

I can't say that about every coach in the post game.

McDermott, Wright and Cooley are the best Big East coaches when it comes to the post game media sessions in my opinion.

Zags is just a leach, a termite in media clothing. This is what he does. Most of the other writers hate the guy and that tells you a lot.

Reactions: shu09 and HallX2
Eric Murdock
This is the state of this board, bury someone like eric murdock for the actions of mike rice...same reasoning why the assistant who came forward against dave bliss never got a division I job again

So dumb, so silly but no surprise as to those leading charge on this.
The point is most players have heard worse everyday on the playground and in the music that they grew up listening to than what Greg McDermott said. It might be even possible they participated in such chatter. No one is condoning what McDermott said, but a suspension after an apology??? Really? That's over the top dumb and silly to use the terms you used.

I guess you can't relate to saying something you wish you could take back. Maybe if you lived during the time of Jesus and he said he without sin cast the first stone, you would've chucked it right at the woman. McDermott made a mistake, addressed it like a man, and moved on. I guarantee if you recorded players at parties, a majority of players would be suspended for the things they say. But I also bet they don't truly mean what they say either.

Last edited:
I would love to play them for the title. They have haunted us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT