ADVERTISEMENT

Will McDermott survive this?

• Thread starter anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
  • Start date
A

anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0

I am sure McDermott going to catch a lot of heat for this.

Don’t see how he survives this. That’s a really bad look. Intentions aside, just certain words you can’t say. That’s one of them.

Don’t see how he survives this. That’s a really bad look. Intentions aside, just certain words you can’t say. That’s one of them.
Said it once not twice. With BLM front and center, and all that went on this year, just can’t fathom anyone with any brains and conscience saying such a thing. No way you can say it was inadvertent - strains logic.

Reactions: mdb
Here is the problem with this comment, it should not be about the current social justice scene in the USA or what BLM awareness is or is not doing. I am happy he disclosed this and is owning this publically.

Here is the problem with this comment, it should not be about the current social justice scene in the USA or what BLM awareness is or is not doing. I am happy he disclosed this and is owning this publically.

It‘s pretty outrageous however you look at it - callous and insensitive no matter what the time, place year, etc.

When they say “any disciplinary action will remain confidential,” they are basically saying we are going to fine and admonish him. If he was to be let go it wouldn’t be confidential would it.

When they say “any disciplinary action will remain confidential,” they are basically saying we are going to fine and admonish him. If he was to be let go it wouldn’t be confidential would it.
Contract language, memorandum of understanding

Contract language, memorandum of understanding
Contract language goes out the window when you violate implied covenants in a contract as McDermott did here. A firing is not confidential, it’s line 1 on ESPN’s webpage. That statement by the University is basically saying they are not considering letting him go. Wait till the uproar from student groups, etc etc. they will rethink the position.

Well it is Nebraska after all.

The only thing I see saving him is if his players come to his defense and say we know the man, he is the farthest thing from a racist and this was totally out of character, not his intent, a slip of the tounge.

Backlash wiil be greater once news spreads.

If it was a State school he would been gone already regardless.

Hope you like staying in your utopian caucasian bubble

It's an analogy about the team sticking together after losing a game. You think Greg McDermott, a white man who has coached predominantly black players for two decades is racist? Crazy. Absolutely crazy.

By the way, would you be shocked to learn that there are living communities and golf courses called plantations in the American south?

It's an analogy about the team sticking together after losing a game. You think Greg McDermott, a white man who has coached predominantly black players for two decades is racist? Crazy. Absolutely crazy.

By the way, would you be shocked to learn that there are living communities and golf courses called plantations in the American south?
Plantation, fl got it...don't be so quick on greg, Justin patton and mo watson not fans

Cancel culture and the woke crowd will be after him ,but I think he survives.

I am a classic bleeding heart liberal --and proud of it. My two cents: McDermott made an incredibly poor choice of analogy. He issued an immediate apology that struck me as very contrite and sincere. The school has acknowledged that he made a big mistake. They said they are handling it privately. I am good with that solution. McDermott made a mistake of ignorance. He should have known better. Firing him would be a gross overreaction.

I am a classic bleeding heart liberal --and proud of it. My two cents: McDermott made an incredibly poor choice of analogy. He issued an immediate apology that struck me as very contrite and sincere. The school has acknowledged that he made a big mistake. They said they are handling it privately. I am good with that solution. McDermott made a mistake of ignorance. He should have known better. Firing him would be a gross overreaction.
Very balanced. Hope it goes this way. He screwed up big time.

I am all about substance over form. For example, if Willard ever said anything like that, i think you just look at how great he has been to his players and how much he has supported them when they were members of the program and when they left the program (i.e. Herb Pope). Therefore, it is just a poor choice of words. Anyway, if McDermott treats his players like Willard does, i hope everything works out for him.

In Hilton Head, SC, isn't every other condo community called a plantation?

McDermott has been around for a long time without any reputation of incendiary remarks; he seems liked and respected by his players. He gets a mulligan on this one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT