ADVERTISEMENT

Will McDermott survive this?

• Thread starter anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
  • Start date
I disagree. People are TOO sensitive these days and get "offended" by every little thing. Just live your life and be less sensitive and offended. Let other people live theirs. The world will be a better place. The last thing we need is to become more sensitive and more offended.
I presume you feel the female gender is too sensitive over how they have been outspoken across me too and how these women should just toughen up as it would strengthen their character by dealing with adversity by pathetic pigs.

I woudl have to hear what his players think of this. Was it just a totally inappropriate way to express himself, or was it a phrase that was not surprising from him. Hope and think the former.

Reactions: shu09 and Piratz
I disagree. People are TOO sensitive these days and get "offended" by every little thing. Just live your life and be less sensitive and offended. Let other people live theirs. The world will be a better place. The last thing we need is to become more sensitive and more offended.
I do agree we are getting too sensitive. But...

You and I are probably alike in having no clue about being cast in certain lights. I know it is alien to me. I read about the old "No Irish need aply" signs, but never once experienced any negativity from my Irish name or Catholicism.

My mother in law was the sweetest woman on earth. She had a bad word for no one, helped people all her life. Seemed to love all, never spoke ill words towards people or races/creeds. She was born in Ireland in the early 20th century. She had no issue with English people in general, but she carried with her the way her family was abused by England for all those years. Can you blame her?

Reactions: donnie_baseball
Using the term plantation in this day and age to a team wearing BLM patches with slogans of unity against any remnants of historical racist oppression is a dumb tone deaf move. Especially for a basketball coach of his experience level. We don’t need to defend him. He apologized. That’s enough.
Agree with that.

Reactions: LBP43
my dad had a lady who tried to get him fired because he used the phrase company "picnic".

Careful you might be next. Using words like Dad, lady & he is totally inappropriate in 2021.
What was the context of this? What was the investigation process like?

I worked at a sports network and had to explain myself to HR why I was on the website si.com when a pop up banner ad displayed to promote the swimsuit edition of the publication.

I woudl have to hear what his players think of this. Was it just a totally inappropriate way to express himself, or was it a phrase that was not surprising from him. Hope and think the former.

Well the players say they are going forward with McDermott as their coach per the assistant coach's tweet.

We’re getting into some extreme sensitivity, I agree with this to some extent. It’s part of the extremism here. We’re losing pragmatism because everything is being funneled to emotional extremes, aided and abetted by social media.

Look at Justin Patton. He has to pray for the Creighton players? What in the world? They’ll end up with college degrees after 4-years of top living and medical attention, maybe even pro careers, they’ve been able to network, they are debt-free, sky’s the limit if they want it. There are a lot of people to pray for who are suffering and are legitimately facing tough times.

To all the rabble-rousers---
200.gif

We’re getting into some extreme sensitivity, I agree with this to some extent. It’s part of the extremism here. We’re losing pragmatism because everything is being funneled to emotional extremes, aided and abetted by social media.

Look at Justin Patton. He has to pray for the Creighton players? What in the world? They’ll end up with college degrees after 4-years of top living and medical attention, maybe even pro careers, they’ve been able to network, they are debt-free, sky’s the limit if they want it. There are a lot of people to pray for who are suffering and are legitimately facing tough times.
Every team has a snowflake… LOL

im offended that you called me too sensitive!!

Reactions: shu09
And as for Seth Greenberg, he couldn’t get along with Louie Orr who perhaps is one of the most decent human beings on the planet.

Reactions: TomD82
Using the term plantation in this day and age to a team wearing BLM patches with slogans of unity against any remnants of historical racist oppression is a dumb tone deaf move. Especially for a basketball coach of his experience level. We don’t need to defend him. He apologized. That’s enough.
Defend what he said? No. Defend him from the crowd selling SRO in the public square for an execution? YES!

Reactions: Piratz
And as for Seth Greenberg, he couldn’t get along with Louie Orr who perhaps is one of the most decent human beings on the planet.
This is silly, i had relationships with both, both kind, family first people

And if you actually want to do something to help something, anything, be "better", than actually DO something. There are dozens of avenues in every community, big or small. It may not be "tik tok" worthy, you might not get "likes" when you are doing it, it might not be retweeted, but you can actually help. Action/conduct. Not tweets, or likes, or posts.

Seth knows nothing and offers up Gregg’s head on TV. Not the tenets of a decent guy. Sorry totally bad move by him.
Espn pays him to offer analysis and opinion..because you or others may not agree with his perspective does not correlate to his overall decency.

How old are you now, just about 40? Not sure there's much time left for you to wise up.
I am sure there are many political pundits and agenda advocates across left and right leaning political news outlets that i would not agree on specific subject matter on but i dont question their decency.

I must have missed your outrage over the Cuomo allegations on LOTS.
Why would you go to a stretch that is gonna make halldan upset. It is this simple for me any person that makes their subordinates uncomfortable in any manner is trash to me regardless of political party. But this has nothing to do with Seth G or any guest analyst or advocate across any cable news spot segment.

Why would you go to a stretch that is gonna make halldan upset. It is this simple for me any person that makes their subordinates uncomfortable in any manner is trash to me regardless of political party. But this has nothing to do with Seth G or any guest analyst or advocate across any cable news spot segment.
Lol call the principal!!

Reactions: shu09
How much time do you have on your hands ? That's what I'm really curious about LOL

Reactions: TomD82
Does following somebody on Twitter constitute “having a relationship” with them?
Hall85 speaking silly on here again.

I knew Coach Orr from Summer 2001 through when I left in 2004. I even helped out on a few recruiting pitches/visits.

I met Seth Greenberg at my first job after graduation when he was seeking paths for TV analysis while still at Va Tech, worked with him for 3 March Madness seasons. Great guy, hung out a few times post work for drinks in neighborhood bar. At RBK U in 2007 he was along bottom row of bleachers talking with many assistants and other head coaches at other programs, saw me from a short distance, stopped what he was doing, called me out and signaled me to come over and introduced me to some of the other coaches.

Don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone make that analogy, ever, in any context.

Just a completely bizarre thing to say.
Stop. I've heard it as well as stay on the reservation. If he said that we'd be hearing from native Americans? They can say whatever they want about white people, call us racists, Nazis, supremacists with no repercussions but he uses a phrase with a definition of sticking together And they want his head? Cancel culture and Woke mentality is causing more racism than we've had in decades and that's exactly what the left wants. Divide and conquer.

Reactions: SHUMA04 and shu09
In Hilton Head, SC, isn't every other condo community called a plantation?

McDermott has been around for a long time without any reputation of incendiary remarks; he seems liked and respected by his players. He gets a mulligan on this one.
I live across from a plantation..... literally a former plantation turned wedding venue in NC.

I knew Coach Orr from Summer 2001 through when I left in 2004. I even helped out on a few recruiting pitches/visits.

I met Seth Greenberg at my first job after graduation when he was seeking paths for TV analysis while still at Va Tech, worked with him for 3 March Madness seasons. Great guy, hung out a few times post work for drinks in neighborhood bar. At RBK U in 2007 he was along bottom row of bleachers talking with many assistants and other head coaches at other programs, saw me from a short distance, stopped what he was doing, called me out and signaled me to come over and introduced me to some of the other coaches.
while im not on either side, he probably has more made up relationships with all the hospital presidents and police chiefs he knows.

ahh shucks i dont mean to bag on anyone. im just upset we lost.

Sure you do....

I think that is exactly what he meant. That is an oft used expression. Unfortunately he wil stoned in the public square under an avalanche of banned Dr Suess books.
I agree that he meant reservation, but that isn’t exactly a sensitive expression to native Americans either. I know it was heat of the moment, but it was both callous and ignorant. I hope he survives and learns from it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT