ADVERTISEMENT

Will McDermott survive this?

• Thread starter anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
  • Start date
I have the Mulberry Dr Seuss book in excellent condition and it’s going for $400 on eBay. I’ll stash that one away for a rainy day.
In Hilton Head, SC, isn't every other condo community called a plantation?

McDermott has been around for a long time without any reputation of incendiary remarks; he seems liked and respected by his players. He gets a mulligan on this one.
That’s way different than telling your mostly black players to stay on the plantation after a bad loss. Isn’t it get off the reservation? How can anyone but a grammar school child - and even that - confuse the terms as some posters suggested.

Is that better?????
[/QUOTE
Then he said scalper when talking about getting tickets for the next home game. How about when Biellen slipped and said now you are not playing like thugs instead of slugs when the Cavs coach. McDermott should not get fired over this.

That’s way different than telling your mostly black players to stay on the plantation after a bad loss. Isn’t it get off the reservation? How can anyone but a grammar school child - and even that - confuse the terms as some posters suggested.
The plantation golf course in Hawaii where the PGA Sentry tournament of champions is played will have to be renamed for sure.

Reactions: HallBall02
Maybe he meant to say reservation. McDermott seems like a stand up guy.

Agree that would make more sense. But based on his own “apology” ( the quotes aren’t because I don’t believe it, just merely that’s the context) he didn’t say he misspoke... and meant “reservation “ which I would think he would have, had that been the case

Agree that would make more sense. But based on his own “apology” ( the quotes aren’t because I don’t believe it, just merely that’s the context) he didn’t say he misspoke... and meant “reservation “ which I would think he would have, had that been the case
Reservation isn’t the most PC word. That would just set off a whole bunch of different problems.

Reactions: catholicman

And this tweet is why I loathe Twitter and social media as the plague on society it is. Now a former player opens the door to all kinds of speculation. Either do something that matters or don’t. If Patton has examples of McDermott being a rascist, despite the guy coaching young black kids and working with minorities for several decades, than come out and say it. Otherwise that’s outright garbage to put out there.

And this tweet is why I loathe Twitter and social media as the plague on society it is. Now a former player opens the door to all kinds of speculation. Either do something that matters or don’t. If Patton has examples of McDermott being a rascist, despite the guy coaching young black kids and working with minorities for several decades, than come out and say it. Otherwise that’s outright garbage to put out there.

Young people these days don't care. They think their way is the only way and they have great resentment for people older than them who have put in the work to get where they are.

Reservation isn’t the most PC word. That would just set off a whole bunch of different problems.

See I’m liberal on many things and just don’t get this. I understand the historical context from long ago with Native Americans, but the Oxford dictionary defines it deviating from what is expected, customary or usual, and that’s how it is always used. I’ve never heard anyone think usage of that phrase is some form of rascism.

See I’m liberal on many things and just don’t get this. I understand the historical context from long ago with Native Americans, but the Oxford dictionary defines it deviating from what is expected, customary or usual, and that’s how it is always used. I’ve never heard anyone think usage of that phrase is some form of rascism.

It's a bonkers world these days. Anything considered normal can be construed as racism by some of the radical people in our society.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
I don’t disagree. I was just saying in an apology it’s probably best to stay away from anything that could be construed as racist, even if that was his original intent to use reservation.

thought this post was gonna be about his son getting his tooth knocked out by ben simmons last night

it is very odd. so odd that i bet he didnt mean to say plantation. guy had more thoughts foing through his head than "hey lets be racist right now".

my dad had a lady who tried to get him fired because he used the phrase company "picnic".

The only thing I see saving him is if his players come to his defense and say we know the man, he is the farthest thing from a racist and this was totally out of character, not his intent, a slip of the tounge.

Backlash wiil be greater once news spreads.

If it was a State school he would been gone already regardless.
Agree, the only way he survives this is if his players stand by his side.

It's an analogy about the team sticking together after losing a game. You think Greg McDermott, a white man who has coached predominantly black players for two decades is racist? Crazy. Absolutely crazy.

By the way, would you be shocked to learn that there are living communities and golf courses called plantations in the American south?
He frigging misspoke. Most likely meant “reservation” You ever search for a word and not be able to find it? Of course I guess reservation is racist too. We’re screwed as a society

He frigging misspoke. Most likely meant “reservation” You ever search for a word and not be able to find it? Of course I guess reservation is racist too. We’re screwed as a society
This...the thought that you can derail someone’s career over something like this that’s said at an emotional time is really a joke. How often do we see people insert the wrong term in an analogy. Like “water under the dam”.

Anyone remember Warner Wolf? He now lives in Florida in a gated community called 'something' Plantation. For years he railed to eliminate the word Plantation and with no positive result took down the sign in front of the gate.

He was caught on security tape, fined by the law, and had to pay for the replacement of the sign.

Anyone remember Warner Wolf? He now lives in Florida in a gated community called 'something' Plantation. For years he railed to eliminate the word Plantation and with no positive result took down the sign in front of the gate.

He was caught on security tape, fined by the law, and had to pay for the replacement of the sign.

Let’s go to the video tape!!

This...the thought that you can derail someone’s career over something like this that’s said at an emotional time is really a joke. How often do we see people insert the wrong term in an analogy. Like “water under the dam”.
Everyone should be judged on the totality of their career not a word or phrase spoken in a locker room after a game. Seem like he has an Eric Murdoch issue. He’s been coaching way too long for any racist tendencies to be hidden. Hope his players past and present speak out.

It's a bonkers world these days. Anything considered normal can be construed as racism by some of the radical people in our society.
With all due respect, imho that statement is too sweeping.

There’s a growing segment that wants blood for everything. Any type of comment like this must be punished and people have to lose their livelihoods as retribution. Talk about division. You’d think an apology and dialogue would be preferred if we’re really talking insensitivity or whatever. That’s just the start. They then get branded radioactive racists for life or the latest tend where you’re racist and don’t know it!

We’re going nuts. This is not an awakening, it’s sowing the seeds of more division for political power. Cultural diversity and inclusion is legit and nuanced. That’s not this cancel culture.

Seth Greenberg just threw McDermott under the bus on ESPN. Said he should be suspended and needs to examine himself and find out where that came from . Needs to be away from his team Seth says. Keyshawn said he should resign.

I am sure if McDermott said guys we need everybody to stay on the ship that he meant a slave ship. Nobody ever better use the phrase the inmates are running the asylum ever again. McDermott sounds like he has a pattern of this, a real Andrew Cuomo type.

Yup, I'm sure the McDermott is a four star racist, probably a Grand Wizard in the Klan -- come on people, this PC crap has gone way too far. The man misspoke, realized his mistake , and apologized. There is no reason to get out the torches & pitchforks. The media thrives on this and the more fuel they can throw on the fire, the more they like it. The talking suits on ESPN are all afraid of being on the next round of job cuts so they do & say anything to stay pertinent. Let's give it a rest--
Oops, now I bet I've offended the keyboard warriors

There’s a growing segment that wants blood for everything. Any type of comment like this must be punished and people have to lose their livelihoods as retribution. Talk about division. You’d think an apology and dialogue would be preferred if we’re really talking insensitivity or whatever. That’s just the start. They then get branded radioactive racists for life or the latest tend where you’re racist and don’t know it!

We’re going nuts. This is not an awakening, it’s sowing the seeds of more division for political power. Cultural diversity and inclusion is legit and nuanced. That’s not this cancel culture.

Exactly right. We are so Laser focused on everybody’s every word... looking for missteps... rather than judging by the persons body of work.

Look, if his players, and particularly his black players say this is not at all who he is, and this was simply the use of an oft-used phrase, that admittedly might not have been used with better judgement, then that should be the end of it.

It however this becomes smoke where perhaps there has been fire smoldering for some time (Ala Gov Cuomo perhaps?) then the proper actions should be taken.

Reactions: Piratz
Seth Greenberg just threw McDermott under the bus on ESPN. Said he should be suspended and needs to examine himself and find out where that came from . Needs to be away from his team Seth says. Keyshawn said he should resign.

I am sure if McDermott said guys we need everybody to stay on the ship that he meant a slave ship. Nobody ever better use the phrase the inmates are running the asylum ever again. McDermott sounds like he has a pattern of this, a real Andrew Cuomo type.
When the current MSM is the moral compass, we have a big problem.

This is why I stay off the cesspool of social media. Someone who can string 140 characters together on twitter has more influence than someone that is actually accomplished and has done good tangible things for others in society.

When the current MSM is the moral compass, we have a big problem.

This is why I stay off the cesspool of social media. Someone who can string 140 characters together on twitter has more influence than someone that is actually accomplished and has done good tangible things for others in society.
This is laughable even for you hall85....social media just like any other area of life, good can come with it but also very to awfully bad. The main issue with social media is that any stiff can publish or author commentary without any merit. That in part is what freaks out people like you and others who feel social media is evil. There is an ongoing saga happening right now in mlb on callaway and uncomfortable workplaces for female professionals. Francona's son puts out an objective statement yesterday his replies are that he has daddy and family issues and he has thrown his dad, who was an enabler of how this saga got to this point under the bus.

Guess what, here is how media works, whether it be sports or news with a specific lean. These companies hire people and compensate them to give polarizing takes that will either have you side with them or contrast with them and this is how the game works.

Any media outlet is not a moral compass, it is people like you that now use MSM on a podium as your reasoning for disdain in society.

I presume you stopped reading dailies and watching cable news over 21 years ago.
[/QUOTE]

Using the term plantation in this day and age to a team wearing BLM patches with slogans of unity against any remnants of historical racist oppression is a dumb tone deaf move. Especially for a basketball coach of his experience level. We don’t need to defend him. He apologized. That’s enough.

We all need to be more sensitive and have adult conversations about these issues. He should not have used the term as people are very sensitive and he and we all need to be more sensitive.

I disagree. People are TOO sensitive these days and get "offended" by every little thing. Just live your life and be less sensitive and offended. Let other people live theirs. The world will be a better place. The last thing we need is to become more sensitive and more offended.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT