ADVERTISEMENT

Earl Timberlake

Cale will be a senior, Rhoden a junior, Samuels a sophomore, Stevens a frosh and Molson. Would Timberlake want to play behind any of them considering his ranking?
Not sure I agree with your overall assessment. If ET came here he would get lots of minutes and not be “behind” anyone. Would he start right away? Not sure but he would get lots of PT IMHO

Why should this be an easy decision?

I agree "easy" is not the right word, this probably the biggest decision in his life thus far. My point is I am eager and I want to see him as a Pirate.

To HallBall's comment as a 4-5 start recruit that can play multiple positions and prides himself on D. Hes a prototypical Willard player, hes going to get minutes.

Coming off of the 2016 championship, Nova targeted Chris Lykes. Folks thought it was a slam dunk. Larranaga and Miami swept in and secured the committment. Crazy.

Now it seems like you guys have the inside track and I hope he commits for the benefit of your program and the conference but I wouldnt be shocked if he takes his talents down south.

Coming off of the 2016 championship, Nova targeted Chris Lykes. Folks thought it was a slam dunk. Larranaga and Miami swept in and secured the committment. Crazy.

Now it seems like you guys have the inside track and I hope he commits for the benefit of your program and the conference but I wouldnt be shocked if he takes his talents down south.

Anything can happen. I'm fearful of that too. But opting to play for a coach who is a few years past retirement for a bottom-feeding ACC team does not seem like an obviously good choice! lol

Anything can happen. I'm fearful of that too. But opting to play for a coach who is a few years past retirement for a bottom-feeding ACC team does not seem like an obviously good choice! lol
I hear Miami is nice. And its still an ACC team and a coach who has a F4 under his belt

Thanks for posting this. That was an EXTREMELY detailed and informative scouting report on ET. I’ve watched a few of his games and have read some scouting reports on the Trove and elsewhere but none that went into as much depth as that one. For anyone who wants to learn a lot about who Earl is as a player I suggest reading that pointguardeyes.com article posted above.

Reactions: HallBall02
That bottom-feeding team has been in the last 3 out of 4 NCAA's.

But they finished 12th in the ACC last year with a 5-13 record.
And this year are only expected to finish in 9th place! (Which may be overly optimistic.)

I hear Miami is nice. And its still an ACC team and a coach who has a F4 under his belt
Appreciate all you’re doing to support the Timberlake to Miami cause and your “I hope he chooses Seton Hall, but [here] are all the reasons on why he should go elsewhere” posts. (And you haven’t given a sole reason on why he should choose SHU).

Your dubious take on him choosing SHU is noted.

Its not all about what you did last year. Miami has been successful in Larranga's 8 years going 175-97 (80-62 in ACC) including 2 Sweet 16's. They have recruited very well and more importantly, they have had a player drafted in the NBA the last 3 years.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Its not all about what you did last year. Miami has been successful in Larranga's 8 years going 175-97 (80-62 in ACC) including 2 Sweet 16's. They have recruited very well and more importantly, they have had a player drafted in the NBA the last 3 years.

All true. But Larranaga is 70 years old.

And following the FBI investigation, it will be interesting to see if Larranaga ends up in thr crosshairs of the NCAA, along with Sean Miller, et al.

All true. But Larranaga is 70 years old.
Coack K is 73, Boeheim is 75, Roy Williams is 69. Not sure his age is much of a factor. Miami recently adressed any concerns about him retiring by extending him 2 more years through 2024.

The FBI investigation could be a factor. But things could be said about SH and Willard possibly leaving also. Bottom line, is Earl is serious enough about both schools and others to put them on his final list so they are definitely in play in his mind.

I think Earl is coming to SH but not ruling Miami or Providence out at all.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
His older brother, Bob Larranaga, who had played for St. Johns, recently passed away at age 78.

Cale will be a senior, Rhoden a junior, Samuels a sophomore, Stevens a frosh and Molson. Would Timberlake want to play behind any of them considering his ranking?

He would be taking Powell’s spot and he would be ahead of many, if not, all of those guys. He will get lots of minutes either way and Willard likes to bring his freshman along slowly, unless they are a superstar! Lol

His older brother, Bob Larranaga, who had played for St. Johns, recently passed away at age 78.
So Earl can count on him living 8 more years... as if that’s necessary or relevant...

70 is not old these days. The first human to reach age 140 is likely alive today.

Agreed with the caveat I'd be surprised if he chose Providence over us.

If you've been to Miami's campus, you can see why any college kid would want to go there. Larranaga is a good coach. They play in what many consider to be the premier basketball conference. Yes they were bad last year and may not be good this year, but they've been to the dance 3 of the last 4 years, including a Sweet 16 appearance. They've also produced several kids that got taken in the first round the past few years - and, yes, that matters big time to these kids, perhaps more than anything.

I don't profess to know what goes on behind the scenes, but I hate when we talk of losing a kid as automatically being attributable to shady dealings. There are plenty of good reasons why a kid like Timberlake would decide to play for the U without it having to do with a bag of cash dropping somewhere.

The biggest appeal we have is Skinn's relationship and that the Hall is closer to home. If you start comparing other factors to Miami, objectively speaking, the balance probably tips in their favor.

Coack K is 73, Boeheim is 75, Roy Williams is 69. Not sure his age is much of a factor. Miami recently adressed any concerns about him retiring by extending him 2 more years through 2024.

The FBI investigation could be a factor. But things could be said about SH and Willard possibly leaving also. Bottom line, is Earl is serious enough about both schools and others to put them on his final list so they are definitely in play in his mind.

I think Earl is coming to SH but not ruling Miami or Providence out at all.

Agreed with the caveat I'd be surprised if he chose Providence over us.

If you've been to Miami's campus, you can see why any college kid would want to go there. Larranaga is a good coach. They play in what many consider to be the premier basketball conference. Yes they were bad last year and may not be good this year, but they've been to the dance 3 of the last 4 years, including a Sweet 16 appearance. They've also produced several kids that got taken in the first round the past few years - and, yes, that matters big time to these kids, perhaps more than anything.

I don't profess to know what goes on behind the scenes, but I hate when we talk of losing a kid as automatically being attributable to shady dealings. There are plenty of good reasons why a kid like Timberlake would decide to play for the U without it having to do with a bag of cash dropping somewhere.

The biggest appeal we have is Skinn's relationship and that the Hall is closer to home. If you start comparing other factors to Miami, objectively speaking, the balance probably tips in their favor.

Agreed with everything you said except last two sentences.

We have many more advantages over Miami... we have are Myles Powell publicity which is off the charts (if he can get a 1/4 of that his brand gets a huge boost), history of player development..see Delgado as best center in nation, will be 5 straight tourneys, can be big fish/face of big east , major media northeast and mid Atlantic market, 6 nationally televised games. academic success of Hall players, Yes also closer location where family can see him play not only at Hall (4 hr drive?) but at esp Gtown (45 min) and Nova (2hours), yes also Skinn relationship.

It’s all about how the player weights all the factors involved. Objectively you can’t say the balance favors Miami or anyone without knowing what he is looking for and weights the factors.

Early good morning JTSHU and all.

Given what has been the subject of much discussion here for the last few months, it is safe to say that most posters here expect ET to earn a starting spot as a freshman on the 2020-21 Team. Based on Fishjam’s excellent input on a Monday post, for me now it is far easier to fathom that distinct possibility.

Two additional points I would like to make:

(1) Hard to predict the future and how all these players continue to develop their skills and fit into Willard’s “system”; but if you ask me, I’m guessing Timberlake and Cole starting at the 2 and 3, with Molson being a backup for both positions and Rhoden mostly at the 3, with some limited minutes at the 4 (whenever we have a small and quicker lineup). Samuel, who I foresee as the other top backup, I mostly see as a 4 (or a 5 in the small and quick lineup).

(2) I am a huge fan of the 2020-21 Team as it stands right now. Can they win big without Timberlake coming to the Hall? Absolutely. But some people would argue with some merit that we would be lacking that star player, that “Alpha” leader who can carry a team on his back (i.e. Powell, Whitehead, Barrett, Holloway, Dehere). Our college basketball version of a Lebron James, a Leonard, etc. Can some current player reach that level? Possible, but not as clear. It is safer to have the complementary approach of recruiting someone who’s very highly regarded, while hoping for someone to develop and reach that level. Moreover, it seems that ET has the talent and intangibles for that. That is one reason why some people want for us to follow Villanova’s lead (and Xavier’s to a lesser extent) and recruit a Top-25 recruit every year or two. It would make such a need easier to achieve.

All in all, I will be looking forward to ET’s forthcoming decision on his final college destination with my fingers crossed and high expectations.

We own the Rock!!!
Son of Joe Seton ‘49

Reactions: mikewalsh
If you've been to Miami's campus, you can see why any college kid would want to go there.
It's easy to get caught up in seeing all kids as a monolith, but in fact, everyone is different and is looking for something that suits him personally. Now, I don't doubt that the atmosphere at Miami is attractive to a preponderance of kids, and I can attest that Coral Gables is beautiful. But you couldn't have made me go to school there on a dare. Not one thing about it ever appealed to me. It has no feel that I consider "collegiate," and I have no idea how anyone tolerates that kind of humidity for more than a week.

You might think I'm nuts. The next kid might think I am, too. And so might Earl Timberlake, for all I know. But let's not assume that because something appeals to you (and I don't mean you in particular, dehere23) or even a number of people that it is the thing everyone is looking for out of a university.

Early good morning JTSHU and all.

Given what has been the subject of much discussion here for the last few months, it is safe to say that most posters here expect ET to earn a starting spot as a freshman on the 2020-21 Team. Based on Fishjam’s excellent input on a Monday post, for me now it is far easier to fathom that distinct possibility.

Two additional points I would like to make:

(1) Hard to predict the future and how all these players continue to develop their skills and fit into Willard’s “system”; but if you ask me, I’m guessing Timberlake and Cole starting at the 2 and 3, with Molson being a backup for both positions and Rhoden mostly at the 3, with some limited minutes at the 4 (whenever we have a small and quicker lineup). Samuel, who I foresee as the other top backup, I mostly see as a 4 (or a 5 in the small and quick lineup).

(2) I am a huge fan of the 2020-21 Team as it stands right now. Can they win big without Timberlake coming to the Hall? Absolutely. But some people would argue with some merit that we would be lacking that star player, that “Alpha” leader who can carry a team on his back (i.e. Powell, Whitehead, Barrett, Holloway, Dehere). Our college basketball version of a Lebron James, a Leonard, etc. Can some current player reach that level? Possible, but not as clear. It is safer to have the complementary approach of recruiting someone who’s very highly regarded, while hoping for someone to develop and reach that level. Moreover, it seems that ET has the talent and intangibles for that. That is one reason why some people want for us to follow Villanova’s lead (and Xavier’s to a lesser extent) and recruit a Top-25 recruit every year or two. It would make such a need easier to achieve.

All in all, I will be looking forward to ET’s forthcoming decision on his final college destination with my fingers crossed and high expectations.

We own the Rock!!!
Son of Joe Seton ‘49

Call me crazy as to your point (2), but, I think Mamu will be that man.

Reactions: mountain25
Don’t disagree with anything you said. It is no doubt a personalized decision. I was just listing the various factors that folks tend to raise which came up earlier in the thread.

It's easy to get caught up in seeing all kids as a monolith, but in fact, everyone is different and is looking for something that suits him personally. Now, I don't doubt that the atmosphere at Miami is attractive to a preponderance of kids, and I can attest that Coral Gables is beautiful. But you couldn't have made me go to school there on a dare. Not one thing about it ever appealed to me. It has no feel that I consider "collegiate," and I have no idea how anyone tolerates that kind of humidity for more than a week.

You might think I'm nuts. The next kid might think I am, too. And so might Earl Timberlake, for all I know. But let's not assume that because something appeals to you (and I don't mean you in particular, dehere23) or even a number of people that it is the thing everyone is looking for out of a university.

Reactions: SHUSource

Yay! The Source of Sanity. Thank heavens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT