ADVERTISEMENT

Earl Timberlake

I mentioned this before but I am not sure anyone picked up on it. He was being videoed dribbling on our court (walsh) in an SHU jersey. Other than a commitment video, I cant find any other reason you film that / allow that to be filmed.

Would we really provide him with all that for him to make a video about going somewhere else?
i was there randomly that day. they had walsh locked up. it was def supposed to be a secret

Yes, I dug to page 8 to find this...

It has been removed from his instagram.
I am not the most knowledgable about instagram, but I think stories are kind of a revolving thing and are often removed for newer content.

FWIW, on his Instagram it looked like he was making a video. My guess would be for his upcoming announcement, in which he has already made his selection.
Do we recognize anything that would give us any indication that we’ll be watching a happy video next week!?

This was on his IG story during his visit. Everyone who follows him saw it. He also posted an identical video of him dribbling in a Miami jersey during his Miami visit. I remember he posted his Pitt visit on his story....

for those not familiar with IG your “story” erases after a day but regular posts remain on your profile. Because these were all on his story they automatically erase. Also keep in mind a player wearing uniform in photo shoot on a visit is about as common as the sun rising.....it’s beyond meaningless.

Do we recognize anything that would give us any indication that we’ll be watching a happy video next week!?
No. The video on his instagram story was just of a guy planning out a video shoot with Earl (maybe a 3 second clip with not much being said) He posted multiple eye emoji's and a ?.. with it being rumored that he's going to announce next week it made me think he's filming his announcement video, similar to Anthony Nelson and many others. to me that would signify he's already made up his mind, but who knows.

So where are the endorsements gonna come from in the SHU crowd so Earl T can benefit from his likeness at SHU more than he could at Miami and Providence and South Carolina?

Color me curious, as some posters have intimated that we will then be able to leverage our mighty NYC Metro connections to pull even with ACC blue bloods in recruiting.

Reactions: Seton00
So either ET is taking his game to South Orange or South Beach!

This was on his IG story during his visit. Everyone who follows him saw it. He also posted an identical video of him dribbling in a Miami jersey during his Miami visit. I remember he posted his Pitt visit on his story....

for those not familiar with IG your “story” erases after a day but regular posts remain on your profile. Because these were all on his story they automatically erase. Also keep in mind a player wearing uniform in photo shoot on a visit is about as common as the sun rising.....it’s beyond meaningless.

I don't follow him so I did not know he posted a similar video while he was at Miami. I guess that answers my question - yes we would help someone make a video even if its a video about going somewhere else.

I don't follow him so I did not know he posted a similar video while he was at Miami. I guess that answers my question - yes we would help someone make a video even if its a video about going somewhere else.
That footage wouldn’t necessarily be used if he was going elsewhere. Even if he commits to The Hall it might not be used in his commitment video. It’s just something that is common practice on official visits. From what I understand this has been going on long before commitment videos were even a thing.

Damn! and I got really psyched for a minute. Oh well.

lol we aren’t one of the schools I thought of in the league that might be able to leverage that.

Color me curious, as some posters have intimated that we will then be able to leverage our mighty NYC Metro connections to pull even with ACC blue bloods in recruiting.

lol we aren’t one of the schools I thought of in the league that might be able to leverage that.

Me neither, maybe the tongue in cheek nature of my post didn't translate :)
I do remember a few people here thinking that to be a serious option though!

So where are we with miami boosters buying $500k of jerseys for ET?

1) In the real world, the royalties for 500 jerseys wouldn't amount to a hill of beans.

2) You think the universities are just going to allow their marks to be used without the universities being compensated as well?That makes much of this untenable.

Think more along the lines of compensation that doesn't need the school's marks or names to be used. That also makes this potentially much less lucrative than thought.

I still don't like it, boosters will come up with a myriad number of ways to (over)compensate star players but that's the free market.

1) In the real world, the royalties for 500 jerseys wouldn't amount to a hill of beans.

2) You think the universities are just going to allow their marks to be used without the universities being compensated as well?That makes much of this untenable.

Think more along the lines of compensation that doesn't need the school's marks or names to be used. That also makes this potentially much less lucrative than thought.

I still don't like it, boosters will come up with a myriad number of ways to (over)compensate star players but that's the free market.
Agreed on all points, and I think that only the truly elite, star players -- those who play at elite programs in markets where their programs are the biggest thing in the area, like Heisman candidates in Norman, Oklahoma -- will really be able to parlay this into anything significant.

Reactions: SPK145
The rich get richer with this rule. Instead of illegally (NCAA and IRS) giving a bag filled with $100,000 to a recruit, you can now legally funnel the money to him.

Come make an appearance at this car dealership, restaurant, etc to sign autographs and we will pay you an absurdly overinflated amount to do so.

We are going to make shirts, hats and jerseys with your likeness on them and we guarantee that someone will buy this amount of them for this amount.

This opens up endless possibilities to funnel money to recruits/players. The large schools with the most and wealthiest boosters will prevail.

This rule does not bode well for a school like Seton Hall.

You will also see players advertising for shady businesses. Hopefully they make it illegal to advertise for betting establishments as players getting involved with bookmakers is never a good idea.

The rich get richer with this rule. Instead of illegally (NCAA and IRS) giving a bag filled with $100,000 to a recruit, you can now legally funnel the money to him.

Come make an appearance at this car dealership, restaurant, etc to sign autographs and we will pay you an absurdly overinflated amount to do so.

We are going to make shirts, hats and jerseys with your likeness on them and we guarantee that someone will buy this amount of them for this amount.

This opens up endless possibilities to funnel money to recruits/players. The large schools with the most and wealthiest boosters will prevail.

What’s to prevent Mike Rapole from telling Mike Anderson - tell any 5-star recruit (or any recruit you need/want) I will hire them as a keynote speaker at our next sales conference for $250K.

But as SPK said, that’s the free market....if someone is willing to pay it who are we to say they can’t.

I’m a Cooley fan and get criticized sometimes here for being too much of a Cooley fan. Just think for this recruitment we have everything to offer that Prov does plus the connect of Skinn and being closer to home. No knock on Prov but perhaps as Dan said someone close to ET thinks so highly of Cooley that it seals the deal. I’ve viewed MIami as a bigger threat because it’s a totally different college environment, Laranaga is a good coach, they’ve sent kids to the league recently in the first round who could be reasonable comps, they’ve been good recently (save last year, danced the prior few years and made a Sweet 16) and play in what many regard as the best hoops conference. But as one said this is all individualized so who knows what tips the scales ultimately.

In a world where everyone knows recruiting is dirty and side deals taking place to land recruits, I never understand when people say we have more to offer or equal to offer of another school. PC has a much better alumni giving rate which for me is a good reason to be concerned about them.

Very true. It makes things more visible. It’s also no different than what is occurring already in different forms. Cash for the top blue chippers. Or hiring an assistant for several hundred thousand to get his players.

What’s to prevent Mike Rapole from telling Mike Anderson - tell any 5-star recruit (or any recruit you need/want) I will hire them as a keynote speaker at our next sales conference for $250K.

But as SPK said, that’s the free market....if someone is willing to pay it who are we to say they can’t.

You will also see players advertising for shady businesses. Hopefully they make it illegal to advertise for betting establishments as players getting involved with bookmakers is never a good idea.
Can't happen in pros and won't happen with ncaa would be so many bc and asu type scenarios

Agree mostly with this except for the part about shirts, hats, and jerseys with your likeness on them. They won't be allowed to use any school's marks without permission and compensation to that school.

Reactions: HallLine69
SHU wont be able to compete much more than we already cant. Bad news. We cant even fund the university let alone an athlete. Miami? They have plenty of dudes that never had friends to shell out a ton of money to seem cool to a teenager.

The funny thing about this rule is that it won’t really benefit 99.99% of signed recruits. This will primarily be used as a recruiting tool for uncommitted players. Wealthy boosters will offer thousands to get a recruit to sign on the dotted line. Once they are signed (i.e. locked into the school) they have essentially zero market value.

Reactions: boatshu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT