ADVERTISEMENT

Earl Timberlake

im dying on that hill. this is paramount for SHU. potentially the biggest recruit weve had since the early 2000s without hiring a staff member... am i missing something? youre all jaded because weve whiffed 100% of the time in the past, but this is the first time we have been top 15 with a #2 POY candidate going into the recruitment. its not a highschooler, its the next myles powell. is myles powell just a college student? i thought so.

Thanks, but that’s as idiotic as me saying because you called for Willards firing 10,000 times you don’t care about SHU basketball. We’re going to be good if we get him or not. I hope we get him but I’m confident in the program either way.
we might not be good. and we surely wouldnt be great. willard won one ncaa game in 10 yrs... if he cant land a top recruit then his ceiling is extremely low.

we might not be good. and we surely wouldnt be great. willard won one ncaa game in 10 yrs... if he cant land a top recruit then his ceiling is extremely low.
Agreed. And to an extent I’m ok with a ceiling of making the ncaa tournament every year for however many years in a row. But it seems like we’re on the verge of greater heights in the tournament this year, with a real possibility of pushing the program to another level. This is the type of recruit that helps us do that.

Solid recruits who fit the mold of the program and who you can get the most out of through coaching are great, but if we want to take that next step, we need to be able to bring in a recruit like this. After this year we are fresh out of Whiteheads, Carringtons, Delgados and Powells. All of the right selling points are there for us right now. We need to capitalize.

Anyone who isn’t stressing at least a bit about this isn’t a big enough Seton Hall fan.
I was at the Seattle Kingdome in 1989 to watch the Final Four, been a season ticket holder since 1988, my two seats this season come at a cost of almost $2,000, I'm a big Seton Hall fan alright. It would be great to get ET in the fold, but, with or without him we'll be just fine. Anyone who is truly stressing over this recruitment, other than the coaches, needs to get a grip.

I was at the Seattle Kingdome in 1989 to watch the Final Four, been a season ticket holder since 1988, my two seats this season come at a cost of almost $2,000, I'm a big Seton Hall fan alright. It would be great to get ET in the fold, but, with or without him we'll be just fine. Anyone who is truly stressing over this recruitment, other than the coaches, needs to get a grip.

Amen.

I mean, I’m not sure where all the work stuff comes into play, we’re not talking about attending a game or anything like that. So I’m not sure how that makes much sense. But I was definitely paying attention to every movement of the Whitehead recruitment, at least when it came to info on the board. That’s a big reason I come here. And yeah i definitely popped a bottle of champagne when he committed. We get a 5 star recruit once every 10 years if we’re lucky, so yeah this is a big deal.

When I say “stressing it,” I’m not talking about sitting home with a blanket over my head, rocking back and forth, and calling off from work because I’m losing sleep over it. Sort of ridiculous over the top commentary in my opinion. I simply understand how big this type of commitment can be towards continuing the upward trajectory of the program as a whole. It’s a big deal.
It was a hypothetical as to where the heck are we supposed to draw the line since we obviously must be stressing about this recruitment. If you took it literally I can’t help you with that. If we don’t get him MAM is still out there.

if we get him great. If we don’t more minutes for Rhoden. I’m good with that too.

The decision is not in our hands it’s in ET’s and if he commits elsewhere it will not be because of a lack of effort on the part of the staff . High profile , high quality players have multiple options and Seton Hall has hung in there and done everything it can to have him commit to come to SH and we’ll find out his decision soon . We’ve been thru this before with this caliber player and we’ve won a few and missed on more and now it's waiting time and time to tune out all the rumors and speculation and “ reading signs “ that tell us where he’s going.

Powell, Whitehead and Delgado were all top 100 players that the coaches did a great job developing into some of the best college players in the country. We need ET if we are hoping to achieve the same level of success that we have enjoyed. We have a great supporting staff after this year, we just need the star player to be added to the roster.

Last edited:
Stressing? Come on. To be a big fan you need to stress about a recruit? Were we supposed to take 2 days off from work to sulk when Kyle Anderson announced to UCLA? Were we supposed to take 2 days off to celebrate Whitehead committing? Give me a break, I believe Willard will put together a class of gritty Seton Hall players with or without Timberlake. Either way I have to wake up to work Tuesday.

wait only 2 days off? Shoot.....

I am comfortable with our team next year. Hoping for a earl, but think we will be good regardless.
Exactly my point. Some want to be good and are comfortable with that. I want to be 12 all the time. Won’t happen without having one or two alphas. I guess it’s also worth mentioning that getting a kid like this could help keep our coach here longer.

Exactly my point. Some want to be good and are comfortable with that. I want to be 12 all the time. Won’t happen without having one or two alphas. I guess it’s also worth mentioning that getting a kid like this could help keep our coach here longer.
Or on the flip side it would make him more attractive by dispelling the thought he can’t recruit high level talent and would potential have a top recruit in his pocket to possible bring to another program with him.

Imagine if ET waits until the spring to announce, heads will explode. LOL!!!
Doctor bills will increase from all the stress. Never would have thought it but my guess a lot of pirate fans will be sleepless tonight thinking of the countless scenarios of how tomorrow could play out LOL

Reactions: mikewalsh
im dying on that hill. this is paramount for SHU. potentially the biggest recruit weve had since the early 2000s without hiring a staff member... am i missing something? youre all jaded because weve whiffed 100% of the time in the past, but this is the first time we have been top 15 with a #2 POY candidate going into the recruitment. its not a highschooler, its the next myles powell. is myles powell just a college student? i thought so.

We are jaded because some of us don’t agree with you....lol. He is a high schooler until he gets to college and Myles Powell is a college student amongst other things. Am I missing something or is this a joke....maybe you should read your post before hitting the reply button.

Reactions: mikewalsh

I agree...it seems like some are REALLY stressing over this.....WOW! Wait until real life decisions come into play.

I’d love to have ET commit and I think he will to shu... but in my opinion MAM has a higher. Ceiling
I would be ecstatic with either player. It wouldn’t surprise me if MAM turns out to be the better player, but there are ancillary benefits of signing a 5-star player that only come with ET.

Reactions: SonofJoeSeton49
NO. THAT IS NOT MY POINT. I think we have a terrific returning nucleus, have three good additions already, and will add another piece or three who will help keep us as a top level team.

We are jaded because some of us don’t agree with you....lol. He is a high schooler until he gets to college and Myles Powell is a college student amongst other things. Am I missing something or is this a joke....maybe you should read your post before hitting the reply button.

i read it. I wrote it. If you like shu basketball then u care about getting this kid. Dont pull the “hes a highschool kid” shtick. What is that supposed to mean? You pay season tix to see a bunch of 18-20yr olds who put up a massively worse product than the nba. Hah! Loser! Hes a yr out from the rest of the team.

i read it. I wrote it. If you like shu basketball then u care about getting this kid. Dont pull the “hes a highschool kid” shtick. What is that supposed to mean? You pay season tix to see a bunch of 18-20yr olds who put up a massively worse product than the nba. Hah! Loser! Hes a yr out from the rest of the team.
So are you a loser who buys season tickets? Or do you not care about SHU basketball? Take your pick. Clearly you are calling everyone who buys season tickets a loser.

I would be ecstatic with either player. It wouldn’t surprise me if MAM turns out to be the better player, but there are ancillary benefits of signing a 5-star player that only come with ET.
I get all that and right now ET is better all around.. but with MAM’s heights, athleticism and from all accounts is an animal on the court and a great defender... he has all the gifts that would make him have the higher ceiling in the next few years

Reactions: BabyBlue
Except that College basketball is massively better than the NBA.

Except that College basketball is massively better than the NBA.
I think that entire post he made just confirms him as a person who comes to this site just to throw flames on a message board. Why would anyone who supposedly loves seton hall call season ticket holders losers because they buy tickets to see 18-20 year olds?

There are definitely aspects of college basketball that make it great - the atmosphere in these smaller venues, the bands, alumni affiliation, the greatest post season in sports, etc. But in terms of the on court product the NBA is so far beyond superior it’s not even worthy of discussion. NBA is unbelievably entertaining if you just give it a chance.

I think that entire post he made just confirms him as a person who comes to this site just to throw flames on a message board. Why would anyone who supposedly loves seton hall call season ticket holders losers because they buy tickets to see 18-20 year olds?
Christ. Im saying the opposite. Im saying those people who are shaming people for caring about ET recruitment because hes a highschooler might as well be shaming the entire fanbase. Im defending it.

I want ET badly. I do not think a fail dooms us, or stinks us lower. I am confident the coach will put a great product on the court.

I also think we will have no coaching change, not if we crash and burn, not if we soar higher than even we expect.

There are definitely aspects of college basketball that make it great - the atmosphere in these smaller venues, the bands, alumni affiliation, the greatest post season in sports, etc. But in terms of the on court product the NBA is so far beyond superior it’s not even worthy of discussion. NBA is unbelievably entertaining if you just give it a chance.

The reason I watch college basketball is because it's exciting AND it's flawed. I like that it's flawed because it creates unpredictability. I don't watch the NBA A) because of the diva personalities of most of its players, B) the hyper marketing of individuals over teams (it's the opposite in college) and C) the focus on perfect, highly trained offense at the expense of defense.

The reason I watch college basketball is because it's exciting AND it's flawed. I like that it's flawed because it creates unpredictability. I don't watch the NBA A) because of the diva personalities of most of its players, B) the hyper marketing of individuals over teams (it's the opposite in college) and C) the focus on perfect, highly trained offense at the expense of defense.
NBA has elite defense. Thats how the good teams and best players succeed and why guys like hazell couldnt even sniff a team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT