ADVERTISEMENT

Bubble watch

I certainly would.

If there are 36 at-large bids, and a team is ranked in the 30 and below range (which SHU is), that‘s on the bubble.
It‘s amazing how many fans on here aren’t grasping that.
I think we are still in that bubble group but much more on the safer side than many due to the strength of our wins.

What SHU fans should be rooting for are the teams that are the last four IN / Last four out to continue to lose so they can avoid the Dayton play in game.

A win vs St. John’s today would end all that doubt, but I believe their is a path to avoid Dayton even with a loss of other teams don’t drastically improve their profiles and there are no bid stealers.

So Hall fans can have plenty of games to watch and cheer for during Championship week if you want to get into with that kind of details.

AZ / WSU - needs to win the PAC12
Dayton - needs to win the A10
FAU - preferably wins the AAC - could bubble out with a bad loss.

Michigan St to drop into last four In territory with a loss to Minnesota.
Wisconsin could drop below us with a loss to Maryland

Mississippi State would be in big trouble with a loss to LSU and remain below us.
Providence losing to Creighton eliminates them.

Lots of other teams have to win to stay alive so a loss keeps them below us:
New Mexico vs Boise
Virginia vs BC
Colorado vs Utah

Texas A&M vs Ole Miss is an elimination game IMO
So is Wake Forest vs Pittsburgh
So is Ohio St vs Iowa, but both need lots of help beyond this game.

I certainly would.

If there are 36 at-large bids, and a team is ranked in the 30 and below range (which SHU is), that‘s on the bubble.
It‘s amazing how many fans on here aren’t grasping that.
There is no way we are a 61 rank team. That is purely based on the trash NET analytic. The tooll is absolute garbage and useless. It's worse than most but all computer analytics don't take the eye test into consideration. Anyone who has watched SHU knows they win ugly but are gritty and when it comes down to crunch time they are a team no one wants to be going against in a close game.

There is no way we are a 61 rank team. That is purely based on the trash NET analytic. The tooll is absolute garbage and useless. It's worse than most but all computer analytics don't take the eye test into consideration. Anyone who has watched SHU knows they win ugly but are gritty and when it comes down to crunch time they are a team no one wants to be going against in a close game.
Well people crushed RPI and now people crush NET...the shu ooc was trash...they have two of the best wins in the at large candidacy field and have terrible road losses with margin of defeat

I think we are still in that bubble group but much more on the safer side than many due to the strength of our wins.

What SHU fans should be rooting for are the teams that are the last four IN / Last four out to continue to lose so they can avoid the Dayton play in game.

A win vs St. John’s today would end all that doubt, but I believe their is a path to avoid Dayton even with a loss of other teams don’t drastically improve their profiles and there are no bid stealers.

So Hall fans can have plenty of games to watch and cheer for during Championship week if you want to get into with that kind of details.

AZ / WSU - needs to win the PAC12
Dayton - needs to win the A10
FAU - preferably wins the AAC - could bubble out with a bad loss.

Michigan St to drop into last four In territory with a loss to Minnesota.
Wisconsin could drop below us with a loss to Maryland

Mississippi State would be in big trouble with a loss to LSU and remain below us.
Providence losing to Creighton eliminates them.

Lots of other teams have to win to stay alive so a loss keeps them below us:
New Mexico vs Boise
Virginia vs BC
Colorado vs Utah

Texas A&M vs Ole Miss is an elimination game IMO
So is Wake Forest vs Pittsburgh
So is Ohio St vs Iowa, but both need lots of help beyond this game.
I guess I am off with my Wisconsin analysis. Even at 19-12 many people have them around 5/6 line still.

But when I look at their resume I just don’t get it. Outside of a win vs Marquette they are lacking quality wins.

4-8 vs quad 1 and two are vs Michigan St who is still top 30 NET at 18-13 themselves.

Computer loves them though.
NET 22
SOS 7
OOC SOS 23
SOR 24

Reactions: U-Hall
Watching pregame, Decourcey has both St. Johns and SHU as 10 seeds right now.

SHU showing as the 3rd 10 seed on bracketmatrix, while St. John's are currently the 3rd 11 seed.

It's laughable to argue that St. Johns is the better team when they got swept head-to-head and are 3.5 games back in a conference that plays a home and home schedule. They're also 2-9 in Q1 games, while SHU is 5-5. On what planet is St. Johns a better team?

Do they have better talent? Perhaps. Are they a better team? No.
I know most of you guys hate analytics, but Kenpom was telling everyone three weeks ago that St. John’s was better than Seton Hall. Many of you were incredulous. Maybe they’re not so laughable after all?

Reactions: shu09 and da0987
I know most of you guys hate analytics, but Kenpom was telling everyone three weeks ago that St. John’s was better than Seton Hall. Many of you were incredulous. Maybe they’re not so laughable after all?
Boy, you must really be happy. We beat them twice, they were desperate on their home court. Disappointing? Yes. But SJ is better? No.

Boy, you must really be happy. We beat them twice, they were desperate on their home court. Disappointing? Yes. But SJ is better? No.
I'm obviously not happy. I root for Seton Hall. Maybe next time, when someone who knows what they are talking about offers an opinion that differs from yours, you'll hear them out rather than completely dismissing what they have to say.

I'm obviously not happy. I root for Seton Hall. Maybe next time, when someone who knows what they are talking about offers an opinion that differs from yours, you'll hear them out rather than completely dismissing what they have to say.
Never dismissed you just try looking at both sides of the resume. As noted there is only one P6 bubble team with 5 Q1 wins: Providence. So, yes, I still say we’re in good shape, not as good as we were at 2:30 PM but still looking good.

They won 1 of 3 head to head and we had a better season by every measure. Congrats on the victory lap.
Our overall records are now the same and their NET was 25 places higher than ours before today's game.

Clearly we didn't "have a better season by every measure."

Argue we're the better team? Sure that's a discussion to have. I don't think either team is heads and shoulders above the other.

Our overall records are now the same and their NET was 25 places higher than ours before today's game.

Argue we're the better team? Sure that's a discussion to have. I don't think either team is heads and shoulders above the other.

We had a better regular season on the court. We had a better regular season in the conference. We had a better regular season head to head. But NET.......

UNLV will not be stealing a bid in the Mountain West. Unfortunately the bid stealers (as far as we’re concerned) may well be in the BE.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
For those who said this tourney doesn’t matter your wrong. Prov winning now making a push. Need them and SJU to lose tomorrow along with Nova.

They will only take 2 of 3 from us, SJU and Providence.

Yea, I don’t get why this is so controversial. I get though it’s them, Pitino, media coverage etc

Reactions: TheHall87
For those who said this tourney doesn’t matter your wrong. Prov winning now making a push. Need them and SJU to lose tomorrow along with Nova.

They will only take 2 of 3 from us, SJU and Providence.
We could get 6 I think, although Kim English is campaigning right now.

3/14 results
(SJU) 91 (Seton Hall) 72
Houston 60 (TCU) 45
Iowa St 76 (Kansas State) 57
(Providence ) 78 Creighton 73
Marquette 71 (Villanova) 65
(NC State) 74 Duke 69
Baylor 68 (Cincinnati) 56
(Michigan State) 77 Minnesota 67
(Mississippi State) 70 LSU 60
Wichita State 71 (Memphis) 65
(Pitt) 81 (Wake) 65
(Ohio State ) 90 (Iowa) 78
(A&M) 80 (Ole Miss) 71
(Virginia) 66 BC 60
(Colorado) 72 (Utah) 58
(New Mexico) 76 Boise State 66

3/15 bubble games
(Michigan State) vs Purdue
(Mississippi State) vs Tennessee
(So Florida) vs East Carolina
(Northwestern) vs Wisconsin
(St John’s) vs UConn
(Ohio State) vs Illinois
(Pitt) vs UNC
(A&M) vs Kentucky
(Fla Atlantic) vs No Texas
(Oregon) vs Arizona
(Providence) vs Marquette
(Nebraska) vs Indiana
(Grand Canyon) vs Seattle
(Virginia) vs (NC St)
(Colorado) vs Washington St
(New Mexico) vs Colorado State

And they get to play NC state next. So no real opportunity to improve resume. Are two wins enough for them?
I bet it is. The metrics look decent for them. Late last night Lunardi and SVP on ESPN were debating UVA and Pitt and SVP thinks Pitt is the better team and Lunardi basically agreed. But, Lunardi said the OOC results are not good for Pitt and that is what it comes down to for the committee. That has got me worried now.

UVA is a lock at this point despite being a very average team. I think Mississippi State, Providence, Pitt and Texas A&M (5 Q3 Ls for A&M!!!) all need to win today. I still think St. Johns is bubbly.

Reactions: Harty9
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT