ADVERTISEMENT

Too much drama

Dan named my biggest thing about hockey. Watching it live is amazing. Anything else takes away from the experience.

Watch hockey...very little showboating.

Except for that ridiculous delinquent PK Subban. How dare he dance during warmups?

Well then dad was obviously a Yankee hater because no athlete I ever watched was less demonstrative on the athletic field. Same with Walt Frazier my other favorite athlete. Although off the court was a different story for Clyde, his alter ego.
YOU ARE DAMNED RIGHT HE WAS! I feel he would be very disappointed in me to not shout that answer! lol.

Clyde used that alter ego to make some cash. And old guys at the time thought he should dress like a normal man and just play ball...

LOL

Hockey is a great sport to watch in person. It loses a lot on TV.

Only issue I have is the gratuitous violence. Last night Rangers dominate so of course at the end of the game Otttowa feels the need to man up and start fights all over the rink.

I can't disagree. The sport is not T.V. friendly. One of the biggest (if not the biggest) reasons why it will never reach high popularity.

YOU ARE DAMNED RIGHT HE WAS! I feel he would be very disappointed in me to not shout that answer! lol.

Clyde used that alter ego to make some cash. And old guys at the time thought he should dress like a normal man and just play ball...
Just think about this. Frazier had a long an illustrious career in the NBA. One of the all time great payers in his era. And during that span he never got a single technical foul. Not one.

Regarding how he dressed. The old guys you were referring to were undoubtedly whites who were conservative in nature and frankly saw blacks as a threat. Probably the same people who hated Jackie Robinson for the color of his skin.

No one carried himself on the court with the class that Frazier did and for that reason and of course for his being so talented he is only behind Mickey Mantle as my all time favorite athlete.

Reactions: hallwins
Just think about this. Frazier had a long an illustrious career in the NBA. One of the all time great payers in his era. And during that span he never got a single technical foul. Not one.

Regarding how he dressed. The old guys you were referring to were undoubtedly whites who were conservative in nature and frankly saw blacks as a threat. Probably the same people who hated Jackie Robinson for the color of his skin.

No one carried himself on the court with the class that Frazier did and for that reason and of course for his being so talented he is only behind Mickey Mantle as my all time favorite athlete.
I loved Walt. I even forgive him for stealing the ball from my hero Jerry West in the 70 finals...

Silly to think the color of skin still not a factor with how athletes and people in general are still viewed.

Well then dad was obviously a Yankee hater because no athlete I ever watched was less demonstrative on the athletic field. Same with Walt Frazier my other favorite athlete. Although off the court was a different story for Clyde, his alter ego.
Dan, When Mantle hit a dinger, he would run the bases quickly, with his head down. He wouldn't glare at the pitcher so as not to rub it in. Baseball was never the same for me when he retired. Imagine what he could have accomplished if healthy.

Reactions: Halldan1
OK... so this is off topic.... but related to the Mick. Was re- watching one of my favorite movies, A Bronx Tale, the other night and caught on to one of those movie bloopers / mistakes... whatever you call them. The setting is 1960 and Bill Mazeroski has just hit that famous walk off HR to ROB the Yanks of another World Series title. (Much to Seton75''s dad's probable delight) Sonny, the local mafia captain is giving his new found young friend Colageto (sp), a die hard Yankee fan, a lesson in life. What has the Mick ever done for him, he says... he makes $100,000 a year... what does he care about anyone else.... of course the mistake is that the Mick didn't make 100 G's until 1963. I can remember the headlines about it in the Daily News. Great movie though......

Last edited:
Duval has talked in a few previous interviews about how much thinking he was doing about "the way he would announce" his choice. He has since taken all the drama out of it by basically signaling that it's Duke. I can't imagine what the wait is about, other than them still trying to figure out "how" to announce.

Duval has talked in a few previous interviews about how much thinking he was doing about "the way he would announce" his choice. He has since taken all the drama out of it by basically signaling that it's Duke. I can't imagine what the wait is about, other than them still trying to figure out "how" to announce.
28, your picture is an all time great SHU pic. Post alot so I can see it often...

Reactions: HALL28
Article indicates his dad is pushing him to make the announcement in a spectacular way that has never been done before

My last two hero's

Lol.... one of the best players in 2017 has figured out where he wants to go, but is struggling with how to let fans know about it. And needs to make it unique.
Let me guess... he'll do it on espn and choose Duke...real original!

We elected PT Barnum president. Yesterday the leaders of one party were celebrating a meaningless thing like it was DDay. And we bitch about athletes making meaningless celebratory gestures. lofl

My Dad thought the Mick was a show off.

All of our guys pose, and to a man, imo, they are great kids.

You guys remind me of my wife, ex hippie, bitching about kids with tattoos, or a kid I grew up with who had hair to his ass saying 25 yrs ago if his son ever had a Mohawk, he would kick his ass. Which was exactly what his Dad said about long hair.

My Mom's Mom was shocked that my Dad, who played tennis, showed up to pick up my Mom after playing tennis with short pants on.

And so it goes...

Speaking of Barnum, Frank Deford used the circus closing as his lead in to his last segment on NPR this week. He did more than 1600 radio broadcasts since 1980. Great sportswriter of SI fame who found another medium to excel. Interesting coincidence he bows out the same week as the massive layoffs at the all sports network.

Dan, When Mantle hit a dinger, he would run the bases quickly, with his head down. He wouldn't glare at the pitcher so as not to rub it in. Baseball was never the same for me when he retired. Imagine what he could have accomplished if healthy.

Craziest stat I ever heard about Mantle was that to this day he still holds the fastest time to First Base on a drag bunt.

Speaking of Barnum, Frank Deford used the circus closing as his lead in to his last segment on NPR this week. He did more than 1600 radio broadcasts since 1980. Great sportswriter of SI fame who found another medium to excel. Interesting coincidence he bows out the same week as the massive layoffs at the all sports network.

I caught this on Wednesday morning. Will he or his writing appear anywhere, now? If not, this is the end of an era. He was already one of the giants of sports feature writing when I really started paying attention, and his longevity has been incredible.

Reactions: anon_x0d8d0dquuo4t
Craziest stat I ever heard about Mantle was that to this day he still holds the fastest time to First Base on a drag bunt.
For a time, Mantle was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the fastest to completely circle the bases. If I remember correctly, it was 13.3 seconds. Of course, that was early in his career before he stepped in that drain in the outfield.

I loved Walt. I even forgive him for stealing the ball from my hero Jerry West in the 70 finals...

Silly to think the color of skin still not a factor with how athletes and people in general are still viewed.
Who said that wasn't the case?

For a time, Mantle was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the fastest to completely circle the bases. If I remember correctly, it was 13.3 seconds. Of course, that was early in his career before he stepped in that drain in the outfield.
To be the fastest at what you do is one thing. But to combine it by being the strongest is unheard of. The guy was a freak of nature. If he didn't injure his knee he would have set home run records that might never have been broken.

Reactions: Section112
Agree 1000%

To be the fastest at what you do is one thing. But to combine it by being the strongest is unheard of. The guy was a freak of nature. If he didn't injure his knee he would have set home run records that might never have been broken.

I guess we should say Brian Bosworth was just a guy who was ahead of his time.

He was apparently interviewed recently while wearing a Seton Hall shirt. Posting pics while on campus and wearing SHU gear is cruel and unusual if (when) he decides to go elsewhere.

I remember listening to a Yankee game in which Mantle was on. It was during Jose Canseco's 40-40 year. Mantle said, "If I knew that 40-40 was a big deal, I would have done it every year."

Dan,

I loved the Mick. Saw lots of his games, and read lots of articles about him, interviews, etc
You are 100% correct. Mantle went out of his way to NOT be a show off.

Reactions: HallLine69
To be the fastest at what you do is one thing. But to combine it by being the strongest is unheard of.

The old boxing saying, "Speed is power," implies they're related, at least in some people. In Mantle, we had someone in whom both those traits were not only extraordinary, but also were completely complementary.

All state in Baseball, Football and Basketball in HS. Probably could have excelled in any sport he played.

God didn't make too many athletes like him. What a shame he tore up in knee in 1951. Especially with the surgeries they had back then. Now his knee issue would have been taken care of after a rehab period. Back then he suffered throughout his MLB career and still put up incredible numbers while playing in pain.

His career was cut short and even when he played he was often wrapped up like a mummy to protect his knees.

Salary-wise, Mickey was only the leader for 2 years: 1958 and 1963. Most years Willie Mays led all players salaries. Even after his triple crown year of 1956, he made less money than Yogi. Today they wouldn't be able to find enough money to pay him.

Salary-wise, Mickey was only the leader for 2 years: 1958 and 1963. Most years Willie Mays led all players salaries. Even after his triple crown year of 1956, he made less money than Yogi. Today they wouldn't be able to find enough money to pay him.
He would be making 15.25 million this year

Steinbrenner would have had to give him ownership in the team
If that is the case, why doesn't Mike Trout own the Angels?

He has better stats at this stage of his career then Mantle, playing against far better competition.

Getting back to the topic of there being too much drama in kids announcing their college choice, don't sites such as these and people such as ourselves feed into the frenzy.

Reactions: Bud Boomer

The Yankee owners were notoriously cheap back then,. They threw nickles around like they were manhole covers.

If that is the case, why doesn't Mike Trout own the Angels?

He has better stats at this stage of his career then Mantle, playing against far better competition.
Sorry but that is a questionable quote right there. Are the players bigger and faster - agree. Are the stadiums now much smaller than when Mantle played. Yes. Is the ball much more lively than in the early 60's and goes farther. Without a doubt. Making comparisons saying current players play against far better competition has to come with MANY caviats for it to be true.

Reactions: GSD118 and batts

Dan,
I didn't realize you are such a Walt Frazier fan. I am as well.

I went to a Knick game more years ago than I want to admit, and my 9 year old son wanted to wait after the game for Patrick Ewing's autograph. Even back then, the drill was pretty frustrating. The garage door would open every few minutes and an SUV with tinted glass would drive off. Down would go the door again. You couldn't even tell which player it was. In the midst of this futility, out strolls Clyde after announcing the game. He couldn't have been more friendly or gracious. He took a few minutes to talk to both of us in the freezing cold, and he gave my son an autograph. Then he just strolled down 33rd St to wherever he was going. Great guy. Not the least bit full of himself.

Last edited:
Sorry but that is a questionable quote right there. Are the players bigger and faster - agree. Are the stadiums now much smaller than when Mantle played. Yes. Is the ball much more lively than in the early 60's and goes farther. Without a doubt. Making comparisons saying current players play against far better competition has to come with MANY caviats for it to be true.

Agreed. Playing baseball for most of the Mantle era was viewed as a part-time job. Very few players trained all year round like they do now. If Mantle took care of himself better and trained he would have put up more impressive numbers despite his devastating knee injury. Could you imagine Mantle on steroids? He would probably would have hit one out of the old Stadium.

Did any of you guys used to go the Mick's bar? On central park south. Good place to stop for a beer , sit by the Babe's uni and sometimes even Mick.

I'm sorry but the competition Mantle faced was nowhere near as good as it is today.

Middle relievers throw 95 with 87 mph sliders and you have shortstops hitting 25-30 home runs, plus kids today are playing against the best players in the world, not just the best white players from the U.S.

Agreed. Playing baseball for most of the Mantle era was viewed as a part-time job. Very few players trained all year round like they do now. If Mantle took care of himself better and trained he would have put up more impressive numbers despite his devastating knee injury. Could you imagine Mantle on steroids? He would probably would have hit one out of the old Stadium.
He missed doing that by a foot or so. No one has ever come close since that shot. And that includes athletes in the steroid era.

I'm sorry but the competition Mantle faced was nowhere near as good as it is today.

Middle relievers throw 95 with 87 mph sliders and you have shortstops hitting 25-30 home runs, plus kids today are playing against the best players in the world, not just the best white players from the U.S.
But back then baseball was THE sport so the pool of American players was so far beyond what it is now that numbers would't do it justice.

Comparing eras is very difficult but there is no doubt each generation improves upon the previous one. Except that is for the few with incredible talent like Mantle had.

If he played now with the advantages modern day athletes have there is no telling what he could have done.

An absolute freak of nature. Devastating speed combined with Herculean power all wrapped up in one body.

Nobody was better than The Mick and I don't want to hear anything else about it, lock this thread, LOL.

There once was a young boy from Union who use to pretend he was The Mick in his backyard and one of THE greatest days of his life was seeing him play in person at the old Yankee Stadium. He still has the program from that day in 1968.

Just think what he could have done if he wasn't a party animal enjoying all the night life NY had to offer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT